EAD expiring in May, when to renew?

scanff04

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone, I hope to get your advice...

My EAD expires around mid of May 2004. When should I send in my renewal given the current processing time?

Would using the online EAD submission result in a faster receipt notice? For example, if the receipt number is issued immediately, I could even wait until early Feb 2004 to use the online EAD submission and would still be able to qualify for an I-EAD mid May if the actual approval does not come in.

I appreciate any thoughts you could give. Thank you!

---
I-485 RD WAC-021875xxxx

NOW

Don't take chances with EAD, Apply ASAP. You can never predict processing time for your case.
I am not sure about any advantage with online EAD. I filed two weeks ago on paper as I do not have any service center nearby. My EAD is also expiring in May '04.

Its time

one can apply 6 months in advance. ( not more than that )
and as already stated above u should apply at least 90 days in advance so that even if ead is not approved u can go for iEAD.

- t

Thank you

Thank you for the comments. I think I will go ahead and apply -- will probably try out the online application.

I'm on the same boat (i.e., EAD expires in early May) but with a ND=12/2001 (Wac-02-059) and 2FP and RFE in Oct/Nov of last year. Thus, I'm really hoping to see the approval any time now (crossing my fingers) so I'm tempted to wait until the end of January before applying for the EAD renewal... am I taking too much of a risk? Thanks.

-------------------
WAC-02-059-XXXXX
ND: 12/7/2001

Are you or ur spouse working on EAD?

If anyone of you are working on EAD then you should apply 120 days in advance. Otherwise, Apply as late as possible. Go on extending your H1. Even getting a job would take 3 months. So. you can get a IEAD.

To HowMuchLonger

To HowMuchLonger

I just sent in the EAD renewal online. While you still have to mail in the required supporting documents, I am issued with a receipt number (WAC-04-800-XXXXX) immediately at the end of the submission. The receipt number is therefore issued much faster than a mail-in and you get to pay using your favorite rebate credit card ;)

I think it is possible technically to wait until just about 90 days before the expiry of the EAD to renew and you will still be able to get an I-EAD if the approval does not come in.

This is just my opinion and it is up to you to decide if the 'risk' is worth it!

RE: To HowMuchLonger

Thank you scanff04. Can you elaborate on what are the "required” documents that would need to be mailed in? Last time I had a law firm do these but would like to do it myself this time. Thanks again.

Re: RE: To HowMuchLonger

Originally posted by HowMuchLonger
Thank you scanff04. Can you elaborate on what are the "required” documents that would need to be mailed in? Last time I had a law firm do these but would like to do it myself this time. Thanks again.

The usual support documents are

copy of I-485 receipt
copy of current EAD
copy of I-94

Anyway, the list is given on the instruction & application form which you can download from uscis.gov. The cost is $120. You do have to call and schedule an appointment to have your photo taken if you use the online application.

Today, the online status has changed to

"Your I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION was received on January 4, 2004. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 120 and 120 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete."

So, you do get an immediate receipt number if you use the online application.

EAD E-File Question

I'm trying to file my EAD application online and I have a couple of questions for those who have filed online:

1) What is the current Immigration status if someone is in the Adjustment of Status stage and no longer on h1-b?

2) In response to which INS office your I-485 application is pending, should one specify Los Angeles for the California Service Center?

thanks

WAC 02-133-5XXXXX