EAD Expires in 6 months, renew now?

pennn433

Registered Users (C)
What's the current EAD processing time?

I applied my second EAD 6 months before expiration and it took 3 months to process and as a result, I lost 3 months!

My current (the second one) is expiring in June. Should I apply now? What's your experience?

Thanks!

TSC is processing Oct 15,2003 according to the dates published. It is always better to apply before 90 days, in case you don’t get it you can always have the option of getting an iEAD.

Mine is supposed to expire in June 2004. I applied for one on Dec 15, 2003. The online status says "between 60 and 120 days," whereas the notice says, "processing time is approximately 80 days after receipt of this notice."

So, you do the call. Remember, RFE is always a possibility. And if it is more than 90 days, and if still the case is pending, you can get temporary EAD from the local office, as well.

Thanks guys!

What the heck, I am just gonna apply now and probably lose another 3 months in the cycle. But it's better than not getting it in time :(

I applied my second EAD 6 months before expiration and it took 3 months to process and as a result, I lost 3 months!
That is very unfortunate. TSC is inconsistent in the way they handle these applications. I also applied 6 months in advance, but the start date of my new EAD follows the end date of my old EAD.

Originally posted by w8nc
That is very unfortunate. TSC is inconsistent in the way they handle these applications. I also applied 6 months in advance, but the start date of my new EAD follows the end date of my old EAD.

Well, I guess this is typical of TSC ... hope my third EAD starts with my second expiration date! Or better yet, give me 2 years!! (Is this going to be the new rule?)

Apply 4 months before expiration of current EAD

TSC has issued a statement few weeks ago saying that EADs should not be applied earlier than 4 months from the expiration date of current EAD.

Re: Apply 4 months before expiration of current EAD

Originally posted by dinnu
TSC has issued a statement few weeks ago saying that EADs should not be applied earlier than 4 months from the expiration date of current EAD.
Kindly posit the source of this info, please. Also, what was the ramification, per TSC, if it was filed 4 months before?

dinnu!

dinnu! Please post your source of information. I am just about to mail out my EAD application and the current one expires in June.

Many thanks!

Originally posted by poongunranar
Mine is supposed to expire in June 2004. I applied for one on Dec 15, 2003. The online status says "between 60 and 120 days," whereas the notice says, "processing time is approximately 80 days after receipt of this notice."

So, you do the call. Remember, RFE is always a possibility. And if it is more than 90 days, and if still the case is pending, you can get temporary EAD from the local office, as well.

wow, penn & poon , you guys have woke me up.
My 2nd EAD is to expire in May and I was not thinking much abt it.
Thanks, I will get on my renewal this week.
What are your thought on E-file or not to e-file ?

I agree with Dinnu..

I have seen that information on this site on 'Immigration Updates'- Probably 2-3 months old..

I will still say apply 120 days before ur current EAD expires..

First I read about it in the Daily Updates section of Immigration.com. I can't find it now.

I also got an email from my attorney on Oct 29, 2003.

>I have received your faxed information - Thank you. I am wondering if you
>are planning to renew your EAD and AP documents. If so, our firm generally
>recommends that you file at least 6 months prior to the date of expiration.
>There has been information from the Texas Service Center, however, that
>prefers that the extension process not be filed until no more than 4 months
>prior to the current expiration.

It is good to be cautious and apply early than late. However last time I applied 7 months before when TSC was taking more than 5 months to process EAD’s and I got my EAD approved in a month and backdated by 6 months. So the new EAD was only useful for the next 6 months.

Source immigration.com

Filing of I-765 EAD renewals

TSC will issue the EAD effecting upon the completion of the current EAD if the center receives the I-765 within 120 days of the EAD expiration. In cases where the I-765 is filed more than 120 days before the expiration date of the current EAD, the center will hold the application or issue an RFE

http://www.immigration.com/newsletter1/tscup100303.html

Well, guess I will wait a little bit until it's within the 120 days range before filing my EAD renew.

Thanks dinnu!

120 days or 180 days WHEN TO FILE ??

Though I do not doubt the immigration.com info :--->

TSC will issue the EAD effecting upon the completion of the current EAD if the center receives the I-765 within 120 days of the EAD expiration. In cases where the I-765 is filed more than 120 days before the expiration date of the current EAD, the center will hold the application or issue an RFE

WHY is this NOT published on the USCIS Web Site ??
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/e-i-765.htm

I think in previous discussions this issue was discussed and the advise was NOT to file 6 months before ( AN RFE was actually issued ! ).

You decide if you want to take the risk. (bothways !! filing early and getting an RFE OR Filing 120 days before and missing the expiry of current EAD / getting an RFE and ASC refusing to give iEAD ? )