EAD - electronic or paper?

gc131

Registered Users (C)
Which is the faster option? Do you have to go to an immigration center for the paper EAD as well as for the electronic? My second EAD did not involve going to a center. Any advice?

Electronic (Internet) EADs are considered faster. Only if you do eEAD you have to go to a local BCIS center for BioMetrics- FP/Photo etc. It is a simple/quick process.
HTH

I would much rather not go to a center. It is a lot simpler for me to get some photos taken at the corner store. I think I will send the paper.

In my case the BCIS was not too much farther then the INS photoshop. I saved $14 on photo + $4 on Priroity Mail- that includes a trip to the PostOffice. In the BCIS center it took exactly 10 mins. I got my EAD in less than 4 weeks - about 4 months ago.
HTH

$14.00 for photos! That's a rip-off. I go to a little store in Queens NY that charges $5.00. Still, you may be right - why pay for photos and priority mail if you don't have to. It all depends on how much hassel there would be at the INS center. Also, by mail you do not need to send fingerprints.

Also, it seems that even if you e-file, you still have to mail supporting documents to the service centers. All in all, it is easier just to file the paper form.

It's not easy to make an appointment in NYC (last time I checked, it would take 6 weeks unless someone canceled). I would go paper-filing.

I think the bottom line is - location/preference etc. Cost/Effort etc difference is very marginal. So if it takes 6 weeks to get appointment- paper would be seem better- not necessarily.
In my case I could get next day appointment and the EAD ultimately took 4 total weeks.

For paper EAD no FP is reqd- I am not 100% sure, but is done for eEAD- don't ask me why.

HTH

Thanks, Cooler

I have come to the same conclusion and will file the paper rather than the online EAD. No fingerprints, no making appointments, no line-ups - better in every way.Leave it to the BCIS to make e-filing harder than by mail.