EAD approved.. when to change jobs?

aravind741

Registered Users (C)
Hey All,
I got my EAD approved (April 8th 2003), and I am planning to change Jobs. I asked my Lawyer if I can do that and if so when? The Lawyer replied that portability act can be used after 180 days from the day I-485 was filed. My I-485 was filed on 31st of Jan 2003. Can I now switch job after July 3oth 2003 ( ie after 6 months)?? Has anyone used the portability act to switch jobs after 6 months?? And Can I start a business on my own if I have my EAD ?

thanks
Aravind

You can start a business, but you cannot work for it as your primary job and continue your green card process. When getting you green card, it cannot be sponsored by a company that you or a relative own more than 5% in.

Are you employment based? How come you got your EAD so fast? Is it Interim EAD or the regular EAD? I filed my I-485 and EAD last year of Oct. 15, 2002 and until now I haven't got any approval yet for EAD and I-485.

reply to 4everlasting

yes, I am EB3 category. I got my EAD after an RFE was issued. It normally takes 60 to 90 days, that is what the BCIS website said.

Originally posted by 4everwaiting
Are you employment based? How come you got your EAD so fast? Is it Interim EAD or the regular EAD? I filed my I-485 and EAD last year of Oct. 15, 2002 and until now I haven't got any approval yet for EAD and I-485.

4everwaiting it's easy. :)

You filled your application to California Service Center http://www.immigration.com/processing-times/ca.html, aravind741 belongs to Nebraska Service Center http://www.immigration.com/processing-times/ne.html

Tasse,
Thank you for making it clear to me. I know now why mine is taking so long but I just got a good news today because I check the website and the voice mail on my status and they both say my EAD is approved. It is really taking 6 months for EAD approval right now because I filed my application last Oct. 15, 2002 and just got the EAD approval today April 23, 2003. It might take 3 weeks for me to get the actual card but as long as I know that it's been approved is a big relief already.

4everwaiting