EAD/AP (paper based) cover letter and checklist...

joyd

Registered Users (C)
Modify as needed, this worked for me. Got approval in 35 days :)

Cover letters for filing paper based EAD renewal and AP together in same envelope, but each app separated by it’s own cover letter:

Main cover letter

EAD cover letter for primary applicant
Documents for EAD renewal for primary applicant

EAD cover letter for secondary applicant
Documents for EAD renewal for secondary applicant

AP cover letter for primary applicant
Documents for AP for primary applicant

AP cover letter for secondary applicant
Documents for AP for secondary applicant

Note: AP checks were favoured to “US Department of Homeland Security, EAD checks were favoured to “Immigration and Naturalization Service” and write the “A” number in the memo section.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Current as of Aug 3, 2004>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<MAIN COVER LETTER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Month dd, yyyy

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

RE: Renewal Application for Employment Authorization Document and Advance Parole - I-485 Pending (Adjustment of Status)

Dear Sir/Madam:

Please find the applications for Employment Authorization and Advance Parole Travel document for myself <primary applicant> and my wife <secondary applicant>. Our adjustment of status (I-485) is pending at USCIS since <date>, and I am the primary applicant.

Please approve the above mentioned applications. If you have any questions or need additional information concerning the above, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you in advance for your kind attention and cooperation in this matter.

Very truly yours,

<PRIMARY APPLICANT>
<Address>
Tel: <phone>

<<<<<<COVER LETTER FOR EAD RENEWAL OF PRIMARY APPLICANT >>>>>>>>>>>

Month dd, yyyy

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street

RE: Renewal Application for Employment Authorization Document for <primary applicant> - I-485 Pending (Adjustment of Status)

Dear Sir/Madam:

We herewith file the above captioned matter together with the following:

<primary applicant>
• Check in the amount of $175 for the filing fee;
• Form I-765 with two photographs;
• Copy of I-485 filing receipt notice;
• Copy of I-140 approval notice;
• Copy of front and back of I-94 arrival/departure card and latest H1B approval notice;
• Copy of front/back of last EAD and previous EAD mailer;
• Color Copy of driver’s license;
• Color copy of passport’s biographic page;
• Copy of Birth certificate.

Please approve the above mentioned application. If you have any questions or need additional information concerning the above, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you in advance for your kind attention and cooperation in this matter.

Very truly yours,

<PRIMARY APPLICANT>
<Address>

------------------------------------------------------
<<<<<<COVER LETTER FOR EAD RENEWAL OF SECONDARY APPLICANT >>>>>>>>>>>
Month dd, yyyy

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street

RE: Renewal Application for Employment Authorization Document for <Secondary Applicant> - I-485 Pending (Adjustment of Status)

Dear Sir/Madam:

<secondary applicant>
• Check in the amount of $175 for the filing fee;
• Form I-765 with two photographs;
• Copy of front and back of I-94 arrival/departure card and latest H1B approval notice;
• Copy of front/back of last EAD and previous EAD mailer;
• Copy of Marriage certificate;
• Copy of Birth certificate;
• Color copy of driver’s license;
• Color copy of passport’s biographic page.

Please approve the above mentioned application. If you have any questions or need additional information concerning the above, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you in advance for your kind attention and cooperation in this matter.

Very truly yours,

<SECONDARY APPLICANT>
<Address>

------------------------------------------
<<<<<<COVER LETTER FOR ADVANCE PAROLE OF PRIMARY APPLICANT >>>>>>>>>>>

Month dd, yyyy

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street

RE: Application for Advance Parole Travel document for <primary applicant> - I-485 Pending (Adjustment of Status)

Dear Sir/Madam:

<primary applicant>
• Check in the amount of $165 for the filing fee;
• Form I-131 with two photographs;
• Part 7 supplemental information;
• Copy of last approved Advance Parole document;
• Color copy of passport’s biographic page;
• Copy of Birth certificate.

Very truly yours,

<PRIMARY APPLICANT>
<Address>

----------------------------------------------------------
<<<<<<COVER LETTER FOR ADVANCE PAROLE OF SECONDARY APPLICANT >>>>>>>>>>>
Month dd, yyyy

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street

RE: Application for Advance Parole Travel document for <secondary applicant> - I-485 Pending (Adjustment of Status)

Dear Sir/Madam:

<secondary applicant>
• Check in the amount of $165 for the filing fee;
• Form I-131 with two photographs;
• Part 7 supplemental information;
• Copy of last approved Advance Parole document;
• Copy of Marriage certificate;
• Copy of Birth certificate;
• Color copy of passport’s biographic page.

Very truly yours,

<SECONDARY APPLICANT>
<Address>

--------------------------------------------------------------
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Supplemental info for AP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Modify as needed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<applicant> <Alien number> Form I-131 Part 7 Supplement

Dear Sir/Madam:

My current H-1B expires on <date> and my I-485 application for adjustment of status is pending with USCIS per application <EAC number>. I wish to use Employment Authorization Document to legally work from <date> onwards. Based on the above facts, I believe I qualify for Advance Parole.

I have been previously issued Advance Parole per application <EAC number>, which expires on <date>.

I am planning to travel for a month to India to visit my elderly parents and siblings during <month, year> and again later in <next year>. Please approve my application for Advance Parole for multiple trips.

If you have any questions or need additional information concerning the above, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you in advance for your kind attention and cooperation in this matter.

Very truly yours,

<APPLICANT>
<Address>
Tel: <tel>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Joyd. This will defiently save my lot of time as I'm planning to send my renewal applications soon.

Just one moew questions: Is your new EAD effective start from your previous EAD expiration date?

deepakanu said:
Thanks Joyd. This will defiently save my lot of time as I'm planning to send my renewal applications soon.

Just one moew questions: Is your new EAD effective start from your previous EAD expiration date?

I got approval yesterday, so haven't received the card yet, will post that info when I get it.

Moderator attention

Moderator of this forum: Could you make this sticky thread?

GC_Very_Soon said:
I am also applying for EAD renewal. In whose name should I write the check?

Thanks

I guess you didn't read my first post, it's right up there.. :)

Joyd
for Part 7 supplimental information for AP what did you provide like want to visit my parents in Home country etc...

is there a sample for that..

TIA
hmd

I think filing fees are different.
EAD: filing fee: 175$

Advance Parole': 165$

Please correct me IfI am wrong.

narasi_a said:
I think filing fees are different.
EAD: filing fee: 175$

Advance Parole': 165$

Please correct me IfI am wrong.
Yes -- EAD is 175 and AP is 165.

Also, I've made all checks payabe to USCIS -- and it worked....
I guess at this time they are accepting all kinds of variations on that (INS, DHS, BCIS, USCIS ) - so cool :)

EAD Current Processing time

I filed for 1-485 and I-190 today (Aug 04,2004) at Nebraska

My H1B expires on Oct 8,2004
and which can be further extended by 5 months for full six years.

Is it possible for me to get EAD before Oct 08.

What do you suggest.. should I apply for extension...

Thank you
KM

kiranmath said:
I filed for 1-485 and I-190 today (Aug 04,2004) at Nebraska

My H1B expires on Oct 8,2004
and which can be further extended by 5 months for full six years.

Is it possible for me to get EAD before Oct 08.

What do you suggest.. should I apply for extension...

Thank you
KM
Always keep EAD only as a second option ... If you can maintain H1 status, its safer to do that.
So go ahead and file your H1 extension immediately.

In case your 485 gets denied, you will be in H1 status .... otherwise, you are out of status and need to pack bags soon.

BTW, what is I-190 ?

I understand one should maintain H1-B status while I-485 application is pending. But if you near to 6th H1-B limit (or you are on 7th year extension), I don’t see a big advantage of extending H1-B. What are your options if your I-485 gets denied (chances are very rare) and you are on near to your 6th H1-B limit (or on 7th year extension)? You can’t file a new greencard application or you can’t change an employer on H1-B if you are on 7th year of your H1-B.

Yes I think I should continue with the 7th year extension... I thought intially that I will save some $$$ by not filing for the same.
But, now I know that would be fooolish.
Thanks for help.

I-190 .. hmm that was a typo ...

KM

hmd said:
Joyd
for Part 7 supplimental information for AP what did you provide like want to visit my parents in Home country etc...

is there a sample for that..

TIA
hmd

hmd,

Added at the end of the 1st post.

joyd said:
hmd,

Added at the end of the 1st post.
From what I heard from my attorney, you don't have to give justification for a multiple entry AP these days.

I applied for a multiple AP in June (did not give any explanation) and I've gotten it approved (waiting to actually get it) -- so it works ( atleast in my case :D ).

Don't understand the logic!! My previous EAD was valid until November '04 and the renewal is issued from Aug '04 to Aug 05!!! First they want you to apply in advance and then they take off few months, even before I can rest, I have to start thinking about applying for renewal in couple of months again, what a wast e of time, effort and money, when will USCIS get any sense!!!

To Joyd

I assume you would have submitted G-28 when you filed 485/EAD/140 first time where you will say the lawyer represents you.

When u applied renewal EAD urself, did you submit G-28 or did you represent yourself?

If you did represent yourself, how does it affect 485(does the lawyer still represent you or you represent you for 485 also)

Thanks

lil_joe said:
I assume you would have submitted G-28 when you filed 485/EAD/140 first time where you will say the lawyer represents you.

When u applied renewal EAD urself, did you submit G-28 or did you represent yourself?

If you did represent yourself, how does it affect 485(does the lawyer still represent you or you represent you for 485 also)

Thanks

I did not file any G-28 for the EAD renewal. But that's a good point, I will have to check. I think the lawyer still represents the 485 app since G-28 was filed with the 458 application.

I don't think EAD renewal and who represents you on your I-485 has any significance. If your lawyer renewed your EAD then if would have to refile G-28 for your second EAD. Correct me if I am wrong.

supporting docs for renewal EAD

thanks so much for the list :)

just one question for anyone who has been through this:

is it necessary to submit copy of birth certificate? it's hard for me to obtain one right now. or would color copies of passport bio and DL do the trick?

thanks

(im applying based on pending i-485 and i-130)