Ead/ap Fee Return...

rolex

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My 485 got approved on 8/2. Due to the inconsistent nature of NSC 485 approvals i decided it was safe to renew EAD & AP expiring on 10/2. The renewal forms were received by NSC on 8/3.

My question is :
1) Will INS return the check($480 for self & spouse) since the 485 is already approved. Can you guys suggest any alternative means to get the money? Pl. post any experiences...

2) What happens to the renewal application?

Thanks

This is my take on your issue. (I'm not a lawyer and these are suggestions only).
Though INS had approved your I-485 a day earlier than the receipt of your EAD/AP, they probably won't return the money or check since the application for those were not conditional. I mean by conditional on the basis of I-485 approval.

You need to remeber that INS once sent visa approval notive to 9/11 hijacker's flying school even after their names were all over the news. It would be nice if you get your money back and I understand your logic for a refund completely. Try calling IIO and find out whether you can get it, if you have a lawyer use him/her for communicating with INS. Again, try to verify what the lawyer says if you don't mind the agony of try dialing the NSC number. I could never get through that number, never!

Hope this helps! Please let us know if you get your money back, you may not be the only one in this scenario!!

Put a stop payment on the checks

Put a stop payment you have nothing to lose. Your 485 is already approved

Fee

You will not get back your fee ..Thats what IIO told me as I filed another EAD because I didn't get EAD receipt from previous .

But , my case is different . I have 2 LINS and two application currently becing processed at INS.

Re- Fee Refund

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input. Please post your experience.
Thanks

Hurts...but let it go...

I was recently talking to a friend who had the same problem and he kept fretting that he lost $ 120 for EAD renewal, since his GC is approved.

My advice to him was to see the upside. He obtained his approval with no problems or RFEs, while there are many others just waiting for no real reason. I am sure the day before the approval, many would have said, I don't care about the 120 $, if I get my GC approval within the next couple of days. He agreed.

I know 500 dollars is a lot of money in these tough times, and it especially hurts more because you are giving it to a basically inefficient INS, who has kept you on an edge for years. INS by no means is a charitable organization, not even close.

If I were you (if stop payment is no longer an option), I would look at the positive side (i.e GC approval) of it, take a deep breath and let it go...

EAD/AP Fee Return

Thanks HariKumar for your comforting reply. I agree totally with your views about the glaring inefficiencies of the INS system and one should ignore pursuing this matter further. I asked my lawyer and she said that one can try writing a letter requesting the check back.

I also spoke to the IIO and she said that I-485 status is in no way connected to the EAD/AP renewal process and one may not get the money back. She also insisted that i should not put a stop payment as the INS will take a very serious note and may take some stringent action ( i do not know what ?) and will be entered as a black mark in the records.

I would anyway keep this thread alive lest i may stumble upon some valuable suggestion/experience.

Thanks