EAD and then SSN - misery!

solong_03

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone had issues with getting SSN for spouse after EAD? Heard it is taking months these days. My spouse filed it 5 weeks back and even now, is being told (by SSA helpline) that they are still awaiting confirmation from BCIS/INS about work authorization. The wait can be upto 4 months! Is this only TSC or everywhere else?

Anyone in the same boat?

Was 140/485 concurrent even necessary if spouse can't work and you can't get your permanent visa even in 33 months!

solong_03:

I can understand the frustation involved as we went through the same last year. My wife applied for her ssn after getting ead in feb 02 and got the ssn in may 02.

And we were being told the same crap that they are waiting for confirmation from INS about the ead verification; whereas around the same time some of our friends got their ssn within 4-6 weeks.

So, I would recommend just wait patiently and you should get it sometime soon.

got ssn in 10 days for spouse

We applied for SSN on May 23rd 2003.
got it in mail on June 2nd 2003.

SSN we applied based on EAD.

Thanks.
suk

How?

When did you apply EAD for your wife? Did you apply SSN immediately after you applied EAD - I guess sometimes they have the confirmation from BCIS database within 2-3 weeks, if you apply after 2-3 weeks of applying EAD, then you get SSN quicker.

However if you apply SSN sooner (as we did), then they request a secondary verification through BCIS - this takes 5 weeks to 4 months! Isn't that a joke? Wait for 4 months and by then its time to renew your EAD.

same story

went thru the same thing last year. my wife applied for her ssn after she received EAD. it took 4 months! when we went to the ssn office after lapse of 3 months, the lady was obnoxious and gave us the 'afro' head movement and rolling of eyes and said apply again! and if it still doesn't come in 3 months, come back and apply again!!!! What the f**. illiterate, classless trashy people!
well I guess , we chose this life ourselves . To be a second class citizen in a foreign country.

SSN

I got EAD's for myself, spouse and daugther. I have valid H1 until Aug'2004 and not willing to use EAD at present.

Here my question is, Is there any problem if i use EAD's to apply SSN's to my spouse and daughter( Is that means my H1b invalid)

tx11

As far as I know, you cannot get a SSN without a valid job-offer for your spouse. Even should your spouse user her SSN, that doesn't violate your H1-B status, because even though you may have a EAD, your employer must apply the "switch," to their internal system saying, that you are working by virtue of your EAD and have ceased to work on the basis of H1. Until that is done, your EAD is merely a document without any effect.

I am not sure if job offer is a requirement for SSN. As long as you have a valid document (either a H1-B approval notice or an EAD) you should be able to apply for SSN. And again, most of these government employees are so ill informed that they may say that you need a job offer, who knows? :confused:

When we went for my wife's interim EAD at houston, the INS officer told us that she was not eligible for an interim EAD. We were shocked (her H1 was expiring in a week) to hear that. But luckily we had a letter from our attorney stating the law (inlcuding the section numbers) under which she was eligible. That guy went inside talked to his supervisor for several minutes and then approved it. So it all depends on your luck on that particular day :)

dinnu

I had shared that piece of my comment, based on my own personal experience, once in 1997 for myself, and in 2002 for my wife. Therefore, it is not based on hearsay. Of course you are right, when you say, these guys may not know what they are talking about. And their obiter dicta , cannot be taken as Gospel truth. Problem is, the laws pertaining to immigration and the rights thereof are so subjective, that there aren't any kosher guidelines that ensure uniformity in implementation.

hmcis - So, did you have to RE-Apply it?

Dear hmcis,

Did you have to reapply SSN for your spouse after 3 months? Can you do that legally? What is the best route now while we have waited for close to 2 months now?

Thanks.