EAD and SSN

vetri

Registered Users (C)
Dear friends,
I filled I-485 and got EAD for my self and my wife, but we are maintaining H1 & H4 stats. My wife got SSN from her EAD and using that number in bank accounts (never worked, stay home). Will it change her status from H4 (original) to EAD?
If yes, Is it necessary to renew her EAD until GC?

Thanks in advance.

:confused:

She will be in AOS status.
No need of renewal for EAD.

If she is working , apply renewal otherwise leave it.
She is dependent catagory.

I beg to disagree with IVAR.

She will be in H4 unless she/you works on EAD. If she/you works on EAD, her status will be AOS pending

Thank you both,
Technically she is in H4 now. Am i correct?
You mean using EAD is called AOS? or after I-485 filling is called AOS? please more info. Thanks again.

You are right - technically she is on H4.

She will be in H4 as long as she does not use EAD( merely having the EAD wont change her status). If she uses the EAD she will no longer be on H4 but will be an adjustee - her status being AOS pending.

If you take up another job using your EAD, you will no longer be in H1. Consequently she will loose her H4. Both of your status will be AOS pending.

This is what my understanding is I am not a lawyer. Please consult with your lawyer for an official advice.

Hope this helps.

Vetri: Obtaining SSN

Vetri, I am in same Situation as yours , Wife is on H-4 doesnot have SSN or ITIN , will be filing I-485 for her shortly . Do I need to wait till I get her EAD Approved to apply for SSN .
What is the Process to apply for SSN and What are the supporting Documents Required to Obtain One.

**Do I need to wait till I get her EAD Approved to apply for SSN .
YES, you need EAD. Regarding documents, In my case only EAD.

EAD Used or Not Used

abhi_01201

This is a doubt that I have: Since INS changed its policies a couple of years back, H4s are not allowed to get SSNs. So they need H1s or EADs for SSN. Now when you show that EAD to SSA to get the SSN, wouldn't it mean that you have used it? :)

If you have used it, then wouldn't your status automatically go to AOS Pending, assuming the EAD is out of 485 filing...

Anybody can throw more light??

This is interesting...

Originally posted by abhi_01201
You are right - technically she is on H4.

She will be in H4 as long as she does not use EAD( merely having the EAD wont change her status). If she uses the EAD she will no longer be on H4 but will be an adjustee - her status being AOS pending.

If you take up another job using your EAD, you will no longer be in H1. Consequently she will loose her H4. Both of your status will be AOS pending.

This is what my understanding is I am not a lawyer. Please consult with your lawyer for an official advice.

Hope this helps.