EAD and OPT

mgoyal74

Registered Users (C)
This is actually a follow-up query on my earlier post. My wife is currently on F1 and her OPT application through her F1 is pending. We want to also apply for an EAD through her pending 485. Will it be a problem if both OPT (through F1) and EAD (through 485) are approved?

Another question is, is it advisable to apply for both AP and EAD together?

Thanks once again!

It won't be a problem if both are approved. After all, these are USCIS-approved documents, so why would there be a problem? However, as you already know, if she uses the C-9 EAD to work, she will invalidate her F-1 status even though she will be working legally because of her pending I-485.

Applying for AP is a personal choice. There is no reason as far as USCIS is concerned to apply for them together, USCIS doesn't care. But I, for example, like to have a valid AP at all times in case I need to go abroad for business or for a family emergency. Because they are so expensive, I'm planning on renewing my EAD next month and my AP the month after (spread the cost).

Thanks!

Does one have to give a valid reason for leaving US when applying for AP? I ask, because like you, I would like to keep it for emergency purposes. Also, can you travel more than once on the AP within a year?

I just wrote a letter (as required) asking for AP in order to be able to visit family abroad during AOS process .. used reasons such as 'aging parents who want to see their grandchild etc etc). I checked "more than once" on the application under the question asking how many times I want to reenter the US, and got a multiple entry AP.