EAD and 2nd Job

lil_joe

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
MY 140 is cleared and EAD approved. I had applied 485 back in 2003.

I am still working for my H1 and GC sponsoring employer and I have no plans of leaving him

Another friend wants me to work for his company on 1099 as a SECOND job.

Am I eligible to do it? What are the consequences?

Thanks

lil_joe said:
Hi,
MY 140 is cleared and EAD approved. I had applied 485 back in 2003.

I am still working for my H1 and GC sponsoring employer and I have no plans of leaving him

Another friend wants me to work for his company on 1099 as a SECOND job.

Am I eligible to do it? What are the consequences?

Thanks

Both my original job and new job are Software dev .

Yes, you can have any number of business as long as .. you are able to maintain one W2 - Green Card sponsor.

have fun.

dashDurai said:
Yes, you can have any number of business as long as .. you are able to maintain one W2 - Green Card sponsor.

have fun.

If I take up the 2nd job on 1099, it means that I lose my H-1 status and will be on EAD only right?

lil_joe said:
If I take up the 2nd job on 1099, it means that I lose my H-1 status and will be on EAD only right?

Yes, that is correct. If you use your EAD,you will lose H1 status and will be on Adjustment of Status. You will then have to inform your main employer about this and fill up form I-9.

sertra2002 said:
Yes, that is correct. If you use your EAD,you will lose H1 status and will be on Adjustment of Status. You will then have to inform your main employer about this and fill up form I-9.

What are the consequences if I don't do it.
If I tell my main employer, he will demand a cut from the earnings on my 2nd job also!

sertra2002 said:

can you tell me the weblink to I-9 form? Is it in IRS or INS website?
thanks

I-9 with the employer

I-9 form should be given to the Employer. You do not have to tell them about second job. Just ask them to change your I-9 to indicate you are on EAD. If he asks for a cut, then cut his !@#$%%

lil_joe said:
can you tell me the weblink to I-9 form? Is it in IRS or INS website?
thanks
Getting I-9 filled is your employer's resonsibility. Anyway you can go ahead and tell that you want to convert to EAD and he/she will give you the form. If you want to see the form yourself, here is the link:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-9.htm

Relevant section from same web-page for you:

All U.S. employers are responsible for completion and retention of Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and noncitizens. On the form, the employer must verify the employment eligibility and identity documents presented by the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9. Acceptable documents are listed on the back of the form, and detailed below under "Special Instructions."

About second job - you do not have to disclose it.

Jharkhandi said:
Getting I-9 filled is your employer's resonsibility. Anyway you can go ahead and tell that you want to convert to EAD and he/she will give you the form. If you want to see the form yourself, here is the link:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-9.htm

Relevant section from same web-page for you:

All U.S. employers are responsible for completion and retention of Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and noncitizens. On the form, the employer must verify the employment eligibility and identity documents presented by the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9. Acceptable documents are listed on the back of the form, and detailed below under "Special Instructions."

About second job - you do not have to disclose it.

From what you say, I don't have to tell about my second job(1099 with another client) to my current GC sponsoring W-2 employer?

Am I right?