DWI And arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
fdp021

That is a very optimistic post for others who are under similar situation. Thanks fdp021. I, personally do feel, that you should be OK, because if it were not so, you could have deciphered that the way the officer was conducting your interview. Usually, if an officer inclines to approve yours and your case has an impediment like what you had mentioned,then he had to confer with his higher-ups about the matter. That is why, for some they approve on the spot and for some, they approve over the mail. So, I think, good-news is just a stone's throw away for you. And when that happens, do not forget to mention it here in the forum.

DWI - Driving While Intoxicated
DUI - Driving Under Influence

I guess DWI is more severe than DUI from the culpability of an offense point-of-view. I will stand corrected, if somebody has a difference of opinion.

Drink carefully

Given the coming new year this is a warning to all.

Buy the drink and go home, drink
or
Drink and take a cab/go with a friend.

Have a drink, but be safe... :)

How does P know so much

on drunken driving?

Maybe I will get you as my attorney if I get caught :cool: :D

I don't believe the DUI (of kzs13364) will constitute inadmissibility(if that was the only DUI against him.) Some even more serious crime, such as domestic violence with arrest, may still be admissible.

Also conviction and inadmissibility are not always linked, for example, some charges may result in inadmissibility even without any conviction. This is a gray area, but generally if the crime does not fit into the definition of moral turpitude and there is no pattern of committing same crimes (2 DUI's may be a pattern), the person can be admitted.

Re: How does P know so much

Originally posted by tombaan
on drunken driving?

Maybe I will get you as my attorney if I get caught :cool: :D
Hey dude, that is very funny!! Sure, but, give me your location and a generous tip....:D:DI would rather drive you safely from the bar, instead of going to dirty places like court-houses. Believe me, I have never got into this mess of DUI and DWI. It just makes me feel bad for all the woes of aliens....I don't justify crime.....but the punishment is for the guilty to make amends to prevent such crimes in future. For some damn reason, punishment in the case of alien is akin to death or finishing off....That kind of upsets me. So, just trying to get more familiarized with the various justice systems of this country...That's all. Seems like this incident is going to generate many tee-totallers from this forum that many bars are going to go out-of-business :D

Let us keep the non helping commenters out of this thread, if we can please. Take your judgements elsewhere.

Mr.p

i agree. previously i would have more than a couple of hard drinks. now it is never more than a glass

sharab our maikana se door he rahta hoon

kzs13364 and others

kzs13364 and others,
I think with the followup of a close friend in similar situation and others with DUI / Traffic related offenses i gathered the following information.
If one is arrested (ONLY with fingerprint taken or arrest is entered in NCIS), then it will show up in FBI checkup and it will ultimately show up in NCIS(National Crime Information System). Local state refers to NCIS for any criminal background checkup without FP. Ofcourse FBI has the superset of all information.

If ONE is NOT arrested for any traffic offenses(i.e speeding in most of states is traffic misdeamoner, reckless driving..etc) then even upon conviction it will NOT show in any NCIS. It will show up in their traffic record which is NOT criminal record.

Even Arrest DOES NOT mean ones GC is in jeopardy. First time Offenders as long as it NOT Felony and the offense does not come under CRIME OF MORALTURPITUDE(any criminal offense with intent or aggravate felony (includes ) should certainely be fine. They might under go certain delay in GC process but it should not make them inadmissible.

One should be pretty safe if the total sentence(multiple offenses,including probation) does not exceed 5years for CRIMINAL OFFENSE of NON -MORAL TURPITUDE.
Certainlely DUI/DWI does NOT come under that classification(according INA 212(2a & 2b) of INS).

In almost all of the states DUI is NOT considered crime of moralturpitude.
I have seen many discussions(immigration.com and others) that almost all first time offenders of DUI/DWI folks got GC (some with out any local interview).

I am NOT a lawyer, but please consult immigration attorney dealing with similar cases. They should give lot of insights...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
INA: ACT 212 - GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION; WAIVERS OF INADMISSIBILLITY

2) Criminal and related grounds.-

(A) Conviction of certain crimes.-

(i) In general.-Except as provided in clause (ii), any alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of-

(I) a crime involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime), or

(II) a violation of (or a conspiracy or attempt to violate) any law or regulation of a State, the United States, or a foreign country relating to a controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802)), is inadmissible.

(ii) Exception.-Clause (i)(I) shall not apply to an alien who committed only one crime if-

(I) the crime was committed when the alien was under 18 years of age, and the crime was committed (and the alien released from any confinement to a prison or correctional institution imposed for the crime) more than 5 years before the date of application for a visa or other documentation and the date of application for admission to the United States, or

(II) the maximum penalty possible for the crime of which the alien was convicted (or which the alien admits having committed or of which the acts that the alien admits having committed constituted the essential elements) did not exceed imprisonment for one year and, if the alien was convicted of such crime, the alien was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of 6 months (regardless of the extent to which the sentence was ultimately executed).

(B) Multiple criminal convictions.-Any alien convicted of 2 or more offenses (other than purely political offenses), regardless of whether the conviction was in a single trial or whether the offenses arose from a single scheme of misconduct and regardless of whether the offenses involved moral turpitude, for which the aggregate sentences to confinement 2/ were 5 years or more is inadmissible.

Status
Not open for further replies.