• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2009 winner from New Zealand with a raft of questions :)

Gabocha

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

I recently received notification of my successful application and shortlisting for a DV-2009 visa. I have before me a whole pile of forms and very little in the way of knowledge on the DV visa process.

I've read over the forms a couple of times and have acquainted myself with the external links of the Wikipedia entry, but would appreciate it if someone could impart their know-how on any part of the questions below. :)

Firstly, a little background about me - I am a single male, age 22, who graduated from university in New Zealand July 2007, and from Nov 2007 to April 2008 have been working as an administrator full-time. Now happily unemployed.

Questions

1) My letter from the KCC was dated 9th April 2008, but was received on the 7th May 2008 and to date, has not been filled in. Are these kind of delays normal?

2) New Zealand (and Australia) has a 3-year university degree comparable to the US 4-year degree. While I achieved my bachelor, is this year difference likely to cause any difficulty?

3) I have read on this website that for 2009 DV applicants "...there will be a small addressed sticker to stick on the returning envelop[e]" in the original envelope in which notification was sent. I have yet to discover where it is attached, misplaced it, or have not received one.

I will do my best to recover this, as a complete application is easier for the KCC, but can a replacement be issued? What information does it have on it? Do they mean the barcode sheet given with the application? Would it be possible to simply write the address, or would that mean the mail is likely to be ignored?

4) In the DS-230 Part 1, Question 10 asks for the address of a permanent address where I intend to live. I have a state in mind, even a city, but not a specific address. Question 11 asks of an address to send the green card to.

Would it help my application if I were to put a friend's address for Q10? I may very well stay at my friend's temporarily. How is this likely to affect them? What is the purpose of this section? What do they need to know, so I can keep them fully informed?

Would it be appropriate to put my friend's address for Q11? I have a number of friends in the US who are comfortable receiving notifications on my behalf and passing them on.

5) DS230, Part II, Question 29 asks for the name and address of the petitioner. Is this me? Is this someone who can support me?

6) DS230, Part II, Question 35 on has a warning for me not to fill out anything below. Will this form (or a copy) be sent on to the interviewer?

7) This is an Oceanic question only, so you can skip this. :) New Zealand and Australia have a pact allowing free movement of citizens between the country for work and leisure. I spent 6 months working as an administrator in Perth, Australia then holidaying in Sydney for 2 weeks before returning a week later to conduct an interview. As I have not spent a full year in Australia, is there anything I should expect to be prompted on?

8) The supplemental information form for DV applicants applying in Auckland, NZ I was given raises a couple of issues.
i) Birth certificate - it asks for an original, I can only get a certified copy from Births, Deaths & Marriages. Is this a problem?
ii) The evidence of financial support - personal savings, CV, job offer and an I-134. I've have heard about the I-134, what is it, how crucial is it to the interview?

9) Concerning the more immediate need of sending this form, is there anything else I may need to be aware of? I plan to send it this coming Monday, 19th May. Was there something that caught you out personally? Maybe there's a mistake everyone seems to make that you would advise someone to avoid.

Thankyou for reading as much as you did! You're a hero! :)

CONGRATULATION:D

Hi there,

I recently received notification of my successful application and shortlisting for a DV-2009 visa. I have before me a whole pile of forms and very little in the way of knowledge on the DV visa process.

I've read over the forms a couple of times and have acquainted myself with the external links of the Wikipedia entry, but would appreciate it if someone could impart their know-how on any part of the questions below. :)

Firstly, a little background about me - I am a single male, age 22, who graduated from university in New Zealand July 2007, and from Nov 2007 to April 2008 have been working as an administrator full-time. Now happily unemployed.

Questions

1) My letter from the KCC was dated 9th April 2008, but was received on the 7th May 2008 and to date, has not been filled in. Are these kind of delays normal?

it was the same I think almost with everybody overseas ( maybe only in USA they receive the letter without daleys)
2) New Zealand (and Australia) has a 3-year university degree comparable to the US 4-year degree. While I achieved my bachelor, is this year difference likely to cause any difficulty?

dont know

3) I have read on this website that for 2009 DV applicants "...there will be a small addressed sticker to stick on the returning envelop[e]" in the original envelope in which notification was sent. I have yet to discover where it is attached, misplaced it, or have not received one.

You do not need that sticker, just put right address of KCC.

I will do my best to recover this, as a complete application is easier for the KCC, but can a replacement be issued? What information does it have on it? Do they mean the barcode sheet given with the application? Would it be possible to simply write the address, or would that mean the mail is likely to be ignored?

no you just write the address

4) In the DS-230 Part 1, Question 10 asks for the address of a permanent address where I intend to live. I have a state in mind, even a city, but not a specific address. Question 11 asks of an address to send the green card to.

Would it help my application if I were to put a friend's address for Q10? I may very well stay at my friend's temporarily. How is this likely to affect them? What is the purpose of this section? What do they need to know, so I can keep them fully informed?

YES, does not affect them, you just receive your plastic GC later at that adress.

Would it be appropriate to put my friend's address for Q11? I have a number of friends in the US who are comfortable receiving notifications on my behalf and passing them on.

it is the same address.

5) DS230, Part II, Question 29 asks for the name and address of the petitioner. Is this me? Is this someone who can support me?

THAT'S YOU (the winner)

6) DS230, Part II, Question 35 on has a warning for me not to fill out anything below. Will this form (or a copy) be sent on to the interviewer?

this part you sign at the time of interview, at this time dont fill anything there

7) This is an Oceanic question only, so you can skip this. :) New Zealand and Australia have a pact allowing free movement of citizens between the country for work and leisure. I spent 6 months working as an administrator in Perth, Australia then holidaying in Sydney for 2 weeks before returning a week later to conduct an interview. As I have not spent a full year in Australia, is there anything I should expect to be prompted on?

no

8) The supplemental information form for DV applicants applying in Auckland, NZ I was given raises a couple of issues.
i) Birth certificate - it asks for an original, I can only get a certified copy from Births, Deaths & Marriages. Is this a problem?

than c.copy should be ok

ii) The evidence of financial support - personal savings, CV, job offer and an I-134. I've have heard about the I-134, what is it, how crucial is it to the interview?

If you have your own funds on your saving account is enough, you do not need I-134

9) Concerning the more immediate need of sending this form, is there anything else I may need to be aware of? I plan to send it this coming Monday, 19th May. Was there something that caught you out personally? Maybe there's a mistake everyone seems to make that you would advise someone to avoid.

so you dont have to send them as soon as possible, 2-4 weeks after is also ok

Thankyou for reading as much as you did! You're a hero! :)

asd22 already answered most of your questions and I only have an "add-on" to your degree. That will definitely not be an issue for the gc as you only need the equivalent of a highschool degree to fulfill the requirements. However, when you're looking for a job here in US, you will probably need to get an evaluation of your degrees by an independent institution (I just had to do that). This is not a big issue though.
And yes: this kind of delay is normal. As long as you send the forms back some time soon (within the next couple weeks) you'll be fine.

Regarding your own funds - this is a guideline posted on the US Department of State website:

2008 Poverty Guidelines
For Immigrant Affidavit of Support

On January 23, 2008, the Department of Health and Human Services, published its annual update of the Poverty Guidelines, taking into account increases in prices as measured by the Consumer Price Index. On March 1, posts must begin using these new guidelines in calculating levels of income and assets that immigrant visa petitioners and joint sponsors must demonstrate in the I-864 Affidavits of Support. In cases in which the sponsor has filed the Form I-864 prior to March 1, 2008, posts should use the guidelines that were in effect at the time of submission.

The following are the 2008 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia:
Size of Family Unit Poverty Guidelines 125 Percent
1 $10,400 $13,000
2 $14,000 $17,500
3 $17,600 $22,000
4 $22,200 $26,500
5 $24,800 $31,000
6 $28,400 $35,500
7 $32,000 $40,000
8 $35,600 $44,500

So, you should try and have approximately $13,000 in your bank at the time of your interview. If you can't save that much then think about asking one of your friends if they are willing to provide an affidavit of support. They must be a US Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident. DV Applicants don't need the I-864, they only need the i-134. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf

But for now...just concentrate on sending the forms. You will have plenty of time to sort out your funds before your interview.

There were posts from people from EU countries having 2000-5000 eur and were ok by the inerview, so it doesnt mean that if you are bellow the poverty guid, that you will be rejected.

That is true, each consulate has its own way of judging if you can support yourself in the US. But, it is better go be guided by the information provided rather than take unnecessary chances. BTW...my hubby and I didn't have the required funds, but had an affidavit of support provided by a friend in america (us citizen).

Hi all, thanks for your helpful replies!

Going forward with my application, just one question remains...

4) In the DS-230 Part 1, Question 10 asks for the address of a permanent address where I intend to live.

Would it still be appropriate to put an address, even if I don't intend to live there? I understand this may be where my GC goes, but I don't want to misrepresent myself.

Thanks!

Yeah, it doesn't matter whether you intend to live there or not. It just needs to be the address of someone you can trust because the GC and SSC will be sent there.

Congrats! My husband won last year DV08, we are also Kiwis (living in NZ) and just received our visas a few weeks ago for my husband (who won), myself and our 5 children! Seems like most of your questions have been answered but if you have any more queries, put them on this site and perhaps we can help you out. Good luck!

Also, if you have lived in Aussie 6mths or more you will need an Australian Federal Police 'fingerprint' check. After our first NL last year we started getting all our paperwork ready and got a police name check from Aussie (since we lived there 2 years). So we had all our paperwork done, so we thought, but when we received the second letter in Feb 08 it said that we needed a 'fingerprint' check from AFP, not a 'name check'. So we had to get 2 completely new checks (for my husband and I). If you're in Auckland you have to get your fingerprints done at the central police station in the city (which had 3 week waiting list) then we posted them off to Australia and it took 5 weeks to get them back. That meant that by our interview date, we hadn't received them, but the consulate said to just come anyway. So we had our interview and everyone was so friendly (not what we expected) and they said our visas were approved, but they had to give us an official denial letter until our police checks arrived, so sort of an anti climax. Our police checks came the next week and we took them into the consulate with our passports and they were couriered back to us 2 days later with our immigrant visas. So it all turned out and we're good to go!

As far as evidence of support - we didn't have enough in our accounts so didn't even bring any bank statements. We bought in a copy of our mortgage and a current valuation which showed that we have equity in our home, as we will be selling it. We also had a copy of my husbands CV. I think it helps if it looks like you are employable, and if you have a university degree I'm sure that looks good. I went to university in NZ and in the States and NZ degrees are quite highly regarded so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Hi all,

Thanks again for reassuring me.

djs007, if you don't mind, I have a query. Did the consulate tell you that? I haven't actually spent 6 consecutive months in Australia, and even including breaks, I fall just under 6 months stay in Australia on this passport.

Think it would still apply?

Either way, it's good to give the heads up, especially if I go back to earn a little coin trying to get that $13kUS before I depart. :)

You're right, I don't think you will need the Australian police check, just checked the NL again and its only if you lived overseas for a year or more. So you won't need that and the consulate in Auckland will do your NZ police check just prior to your interview. We actually sent away for our NZ police checks last year and then got the 2nd NL and they said they (the US Consulate) do it, so we didn't need to do that. I guess you can just work on building up your savings like you said - good idea.

On that Q10 issue about a US address: when I filled it in in 2002, I put "not known at this time" (because I did not). That caused no problems at all in terms of the processing. However, on my entry into the US in early 2003 the immigration officer required me to fill in an address right there and then. A few weeks later my green card arrived at that address (not actually where I was staying at the time but the address of a family member).

I'd use the friend's address, assuming the friend is not about to move. Getting the USCIS to process address changes is not always a straight-forward matter. It will certainly not affect the friend that you use their address.

On the issue of the address sticker: I did not get one either but just wrote the relevant address on the envelope and that worked fine.

Overall the process was remarkably smooth for me with no unexpected issues or curveballs (googlies, I guess you'd say in NZ :) ).

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rightio, all sent off as at Wednesday 21st May. I didn't use tracked mail, opting for an option where someone didn't have to sign.

I've been reading about case numbers, being Oceanian and 7xx, what does that mean?

The next step, it comes October onward right? I've also read about a visa bulletin, what's that?

Thanks all for your help.

In the visa bulletin you can see when your number will be current. Just check the diversity programm numbers for your region. You can go through the bulletins from previous years (the year starts in October and ends in September) and see, when your number is below the one listed for your region. In that month you would have had the interview in previous years (it is different in every year). And once "your lottery year" starts, you have to keep an eye on the bulletin so that you know when you're supposed to have the interview (the first bulletin with information on DV2009 will come out around the 15th of August). Once your number is listed in the advanced notification section, you can contact KCC and they will tell you your interview date.
Here's the link to the bulletin: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1770.html
Here's a link to a very good thread with basic information: http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=215048

Btw: Since you didn't use tracked mail, you should send KCC an email in 2 or better 3 weeks to ask them whether they have received your forms (you have to include your full name, case number and date of birth).

Hi Gabocha, if the numbers are similar to last year then your number will probably be current around Jan 09, so not too far away. FYI - I returned our papers back to KCC by regular airmail and there were no problems.