• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2008 - Australian winners, living in Australia!

Lorelei

Registered Users (C)
Well yesterday I happened to walk out to the letterbox.. saw that white envelope and proceeded to scream with delight!

5 years I have been entering and finally I have received that blessed envelope of goodies.

I am OC000009XX and am filling out the forms now.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

ozzie oy oy oy, congratulations,
I too remember screaming with delight
I just arrived into the states, and am waiting for my pyhsical green card!
good luck, i found this forum late but there is great advice on it.

Awesome!!

I was beginning to think I was the only Australian! LOL Well done and congrats!!

Just wondering - what was the time period from when you got the letter to your arrival in the States?

whereabouts you going to live?

Hey guys, where abouts in the States you guys planning to live?

You know, I have no idea!

I'd love to be in Boston as I have a very close friend there but the living costs are so high.

NYC would be great but as a place to start out in I think it would be hard.

I have lived in Texas before and loved it there and adored the people, but the summer is too extreme.

Any suggestions? LOL

texas

Hi, actually my first destination is texas... my uncle lives there, so i will probably stay there for the moment, but definetely planning to move somewhere else like boston or washington..., what is texas like in comparison with Sydney or Melbourne? cheers

time from letter to entry

I received my Initial package in July 2005, second letter for interview in mid oct 2006 and interview date mid sept 2006 (one of the last visas issued I believe). I entered the states 22nd march 2007 and have been in Ft Lauderdale for 3 weeks and have only received my welcome letter. still waiting for my green card and S/S #. One thing to make sure is, if you are confidant of getting the second letter get your aust. fed. police report early as I nearly missed out on the whole deal as they are currently quoting up to 6-8 weeks for the return.
Oh and check and re check your initial application and get it in asap, I fed- exed mine as I wanted a receipt.
good luck

Thanks for sharing your experience Roscoe!!

At least, with that kind of time frame, I could finish my Masters which would be nice :) :)

Johnkent - I am seriously leaning towards the heartland - I have visited Illinois before and everyone was so friendly!! :) :)

Ha! Thats fuuny. I also have to finish a Masters before I go. Hoping for an Interview in Feburary 2008 so the timing should be good. I have been accepted on only my second application.

Due to the industry I work in (Biotechnology) I will most likely end up in San Francisco, San Diego or Boston.

Seattle is another balanced option.

Jobs are plentiful here with Boeing, Microsoft , Amazon, Nintendo headquartered in Washington state.

There are few BioTech firms as well. Sure San Fran and other cities in CA have just as or even more Jobs available but Seattle is quite balanced in terms of cost of living and Jobs availability. The people are friendly compared to other fast cities (although nothing beats kiwi hospitality :) ). The scenery is great also. Reminds me of NZ all the time. Crime is not like what you see in other cities. For your interest we always gather at Kiwi/Aussie pub and enjoy some good old footy and beers from down under ( the only pub you will find for down unders' in Pacific Northwest) http://www.kangarooandkiwipub.com/

Seattle is one of the few cities which is surving the mortgage mess currently going on in US ! And its because of the strong job market i.e house prices here move with labor market e.g the last housing recession was when Boeing did massive layoffs years ago.

San Fran on the other hand is ridiculously expensive! Trust me on that one...as far as housing cost goes.

The only thing i REALLY hate about Seattle is the RAIN :(
It maybe opposite of Texas weather! If you are very outdoors and like sunny weather then moving to Seattle will be a bad move.

As much as people say about raining all the time here, its more about drizzling and gloomy days that go on for weeks at least in Autumn and Winter.
Seattlelites drink coffee like water! No wonder Starbucks originated here

Summer is awesome though. Last year in 2006there was no rain for like 30 days.

California is great for the entertainment it provides i guess..its more bustling and happening if you like
but just as personal opinion i prefer Seattle which is bit more laid back like NZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Seattle is one of the few cities which is surving the mortgage mess currently going on in US ! And its because of the strong job market i.e house prices here move with labor market e.g the last housing recession was when Boeing did massive layoffs years ago.

San Fran on the other hand is ridiculously expensive! Trust me on that one...as far as housing cost goes.

I don't believe that Seattle housing is not melting down due to the labor market. I currently live in San Fran. Unemployment is historically low in the US, and wages have not been under pressure. No large companies in California that are not connected directly to the mortgage/construction industry have been laying off workers as far as I know.

Seattle prices have not been moving lower since supply of new land has been artificially restricted by local government. In the SF Bay Area, places like Merced in the south, Pleasanton and Brentwood in the east etc., have spurned a lot of new housing development. Not so in Seattle.

Having said that, both places are wonderful choices. Seattle also has a benefit of not having state income tax (which runs us about 7% extra in California). Choose which works best for you.