• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2006 Taiwan Experience

To ckcheng and ImInUtah

To ckcheng,
I think either email or phone call will do. According to my experience, they reply to my question very fast (I email them, they called back). If you are still in US, you might email them first since they can't call back to you. check the link here http://www.ait.org.tw/zh/visa/iv/ :p

To ImInUtah,
I can only share my experience of preparing documents for interview in AIT.
1. They request to see my diploma (original) then collected the copy one. So I think you better bring the original one and the copy.
2. I think the best thing you can do is call the office that you are going to have your interview. They should have some instruction for you. But I think you can wait until your number comes current! Since, that might take months….. :eek: :(

Answer for your second question, the only way to change your interview date is send a email to AIT (visaiv@mail.ait.org.tw) and Must attach your case number for them two to three weeks before your interview date. If you contact them too early, they could do nothing for you because AIT doesn't have the new list from KCC. The other thing that I am not sure if they allow you to change the date earlier than the date set by KCC.

ckcheng said:
Congratulations nonopopo on receiving your GC. I was just about to ask on the thread whether we can pay the fee at AIT using US credit cards. Thanks to you, my question is answered. But on a side note, can AIT accept AMEX (I assume they accept VISA or MasterCard) for the fee?

I called KCC today to check whether my interview date is out yet, they replied that an interview was set up for me on 7/17 at AIT. Does anyone know how we could change the interview date? KCC said I should contact AIT on this. Should I call or email them? What's your suggestions?

7/17 is a bit late for me since I will be leaving Taipei on 7/20. Thanks again!

1. I think you need to prepare both, they will see the original one and take the copy one.

2. In the U.S., medical examinations are performed by approximately 3,000 physicians (called civil surgeons) designated by district directors of the USCIS. If you do not receive the form or still have questions, contact USCIS.
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/exec/cs/index.asp
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/Medical_Exam.htm

ImInUtah said:
Hi,
I am the DV 2007 winner of Taiwan, but I currently live in Utah. I choose to adjustment status in USA, does anybody has the experience in USA? I heard it might be take longer if processes in USA... I am worried about it. And I still have to aske my parents to collect all the document in Taiwan. Also, When I received the package from KCC, there are few questions about documents prepatation. I wish you guys who are DV 2006 winners could answer me:
1. Evidence of required education -- should I get the origional one or just a copy one?
2. About the medical exam -- I have to do it in USA also. I intend to do it earlier, but I don't know what to do exactly. How can I know more detail about medical exam?

Thanks for your kindly reply and congatulation again! :p

Regarding AOS

ImInUtah said:
Hi,
I am the DV 2007 winner of Taiwan, but I currently live in Utah. I choose to adjustment status in USA, does anybody has the experience in USA? I heard it might be take longer if processes in USA... I am worried about it. And I still have to aske my parents to collect all the document in Taiwan.

Welcome to our thread ImInUtah, also congrats to you. :)

I had the same dilemma when I received my DV2006 NL back in May 2005. From the research I did both here and NTU BBS forum, I was surprised to find completely different views on Adjustment of Status (AOS). On NTU BBS forum (keyword "ABROAD"), they feel doing AOS tends to take much longer than doing CP. But in this forum, I see a lot of successful cases of AOS which took less time than I initially expected.

One factor has to do with your case number, as smaller the case number, the sooner you could get your case processed at USCIS. The sooner your AOS case is processed, the higher chance you could get the GC before US fiscal year ends. Another factor maybe has something to do with the USCIS service center you submit your case to, as maybe the processing time at Vermont USCIS is longer than that at Texas USCIS ? ( https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp ). Either way, I would suggest you compare your case with those successful AOS cases, similar to your case number, posted at this forum. Seems like there is a lot of processes to go through compared to CP (i.e. different forms to fill out, biometrics .. etc)

Good luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
twangela said:
To ckcheng,
I think either email or phone call will do. According to my experience, they reply to my question very fast (I email them, they called back). If you are still in US, you might email them first since they can't call back to you. check the link here http://www.ait.org.tw/zh/visa/iv/ :p

nonopopo said:
Answer for your second question, the only way to change your interview date is send a email to AIT (visaiv@mail.ait.org.tw) and Must attach your case number for them two to three weeks before your interview date. If you contact them too early, they could do nothing for you because AIT doesn't have the new list from KCC. The other thing that I am not sure if they allow you to change the date earlier than the date set by KCC.

Thanks twangela & nonopopo for your reply. I emailed AIT asking them what is the next step I should do if I decided to change my interview to an earlier date (after being informed of a specific interview date by KCC), still no response from them after almost a week. I tried calling them at the immigrations unit, but only got the answering machine. I don't know why they are taking so long. :confused:

I think my email was asking a pretty general question, but I did attach my case number in the email. Do AIT tend to delay their response if your case is not received from KCC? Any idea when do AIT usually get that list?

Probably I should email them again two to three weeks before my interview date as per nonopopo's suggestion. :(

Bank Statements for Interview

As I was preparing the documents, I noticed that the bank statement I plan to present to AIT CP interview would be my savings at Emigrant Direct (Online High-Yield Savings Account). Would it be an issue ? Though Emigrant Bank (owner of Emigrant Direct) is actually a FDIC insured institution in the State of New York, but it is not as well known as those other larger institutions, i.e. Citibank, BofA, or JP Morgan Chase. Anybody had similar problems at the interview??

Thanks again!!

bank statement

ckcheng said:
As I was preparing the documents, I noticed that the bank statement I plan to present to AIT CP interview would be my savings at Emigrant Direct (Online High-Yield Savings Account). Would it be an issue ? Though Emigrant Bank (owner of Emigrant Direct) is actually a FDIC insured institution in the State of New York, but it is not as well known as those other larger institutions, i.e. Citibank, BofA, or JP Morgan Chase. Anybody had similar problems at the interview??

Thanks again!!

I don't think that would be an issue. :rolleyes: The bank statements that I presented were from Etrade Securities. It's also a FDIC insured but not a saving account. I prepared bank statements for past 12 months and 2 CD certificates from Etrade Bank. They only took the last month bank statement and CD certificates. :cool: So I think that it doesn't matter where you save your money. Moreover, since you already have a job in US, :eek: the document of your job status would be a plus except your bank statement. :D

Security Clearance?

Thanks twangela for your reply, one thing off my checklist! :p

I have another questions, reading from another thread, they were discussing the possible processing time for security clearance. Do nationals from Taiwan ROC require to go through this so-called "Washington DC Security Clearance"? If so, how long did it take? Also, Is the security check done before or after you get the temporary PR visa on your passport?

Seems like this check doesn't apply to us doing CP, but want to make sure. Thank you!

Help! Medical Exam

nonopopo said:
3. In Feb 2006, I saw my case number (AS0004XXX) is current in March and also received the 2nd package (without physical examination form). So I sent email to American Institute in Taiwan to ask for the form and asked them if I could do the examination in US hospital.==>the answer is "No")
4. On Feb 22, I went back to Taiwan.
5. On Feb 24, I went to AIT to get the examination forms first, then, went to Taipei Mackay Memorial Hospital. Total spending is around 5500.

Same here.

In my 2nd package received from KCC, there isn't any "physical examination form" or "medical instructions" regarding what forms to prepare! Do any of you remember what forms is needed for the medical exam? I found these forms available for download at AIT website, are these the forms you took to the medical exam, which was later filled out by the physicans, at Mackey Hospital?

DS-2053 - Medical Examination for Immigrant or Refugee Applicant
DS-3024 - Chest X-ray and Classification Worksheet
DS-3025 - Vaccination Documentation Worksheet
DS-3026 - Medical History and Physical Examination Worksheet

Thanks.

Hi, all Taiwanese brothers and sisters,

Do you know which part of America or city is the best place, suitable for a person who is the descendant of a chinese ancestor to reside and to get a job easily? My friend is a descended chinese, he would like to know it.

Your helps would greatly be appreciated.

ckcheng said:
Same here.

In my 2nd package received from KCC, there isn't any "physical examination form" or "medical instructions" regarding what forms to prepare! Do any of you remember what forms is needed for the medical exam? I found these forms available for download at AIT website, are these the forms you took to the medical exam, which was later filled out by the physicans, at Mackey Hospital?

DS-2053 - Medical Examination for Immigrant or Refugee Applicant
DS-3024 - Chest X-ray and Classification Worksheet
DS-3025 - Vaccination Documentation Worksheet
DS-3026 - Medical History and Physical Examination Worksheet

Thanks.

You can go to AIT (3rd floor) to get the forms. Should be the same forms you found on the web. Doctors&hospital will take care
the rest.

Thanks for the reply

will.truman, thanks for your reply. I also got a confirmation from AIT saying that these are the forms to prepare for the meds. btw, are you also a past winner? If so, congrats to you. Here is AIT's reply for anyone that's interested.

Dear Sir:

· Yes, those are the medical forms you need to take to the hospital.
· AIT can accept documents in Chinese; you do not need to translate it into English.

Regards,

Immigrant Visa Unit

Consular Section

twangela, haven't heard from you in a while, have you made your decision on whether to come to the States? I am kinda nervous about the interview, always have a feeling that there might be some documents I will forget to bring with me back to Taiwan. :p Well anyways, I am keeping my fingers crossed and wishes the best to other winners, I know it's a tedious process but hang in there.

peng said:
Hi, all Taiwanese brothers and sisters,

Do you know which part of America or city is the best place, suitable for a person who is the descendant of a chinese ancestor to reside and to get a job easily? My friend is a descended chinese, he would like to know it.

Your helps would greatly be appreciated.

Peng, the place with the most Asian/Chinese would probably be Los Angeles in the west coast, and New York City in the East coast. You can pretty much get everything by living there, very convenient with all kinds of amenities you can think of. I guess it would be a good place to get settled first. In turns of jobs, there are definitely a lot of Asian companies in those areas, but hard to say if jobs can be found easily as you will be facing competitions like any other places. I have never try finding a job in LA or NY (I am in the DC area), maybe some other people can better answer you on that.

For the greater DC, most Chinese/Taiwanese gather around the Rockville area in MD, close to downtown DC. Compared to major cities, the populations here are not as much so it is hard to find a well established "Chinatown". Most Asian stores and restaurants are pretty much scattered. For the DC job market, there are not many Asian firms around, but most Asians here work for the Federal Government or international organizations. Mostly you can find companies here that are pretty much Asian-Friendly since DC is a very internationalized city. But in the end, it all comes down to your abilities and skills as those are things company look for when hiring.

Hope this helps.

To ckcheng

twangela, haven't heard from you in a while, have you made your decision on whether to come to the States? I am kinda nervous about the interview, always have a feeling that there might be some documents I will forget to bring with me back to Taiwan. :p Well anyways, I am keeping my fingers crossed and wishes the best to other winners, I know it's a tedious process but hang in there.

Dear ckcheng,
Thanks for your concern! I'll go to US before VISA expired.
Relax and just bring every single document with you back to Taiwan. It won't take too much space in your suitcase. :cool: You will soon find out that your interview process be so smooth that you spend to much time worry everything! ;) Good luck!!

DV 2007 winner

Hi guys,

I was selected for DV 2007. I'm also from TW but I am living in US right now. My case number is quite high 8XXX. I don't know if I should send it the application becuse Dv 2006 for AS is only at 7700 right now.

formosa said:
Hi guys,

I was selected for DV 2007. I'm also from TW but I am living in US right now. My case number is quite high 8XXX. I don't know if I should send it the application becuse Dv 2006 for AS is only at 7700 right now.

You have nothing to lose, just do it.

Thank you ckcheng,

It's very informative.

which one is better, New York or LA?

what about San Fancisco?

what one can do in DC? are there a lot of jobs?

what kind of international organizations are there?

hi say hello to you guys! I am DV2007 winner

hi guys

I am DV2007 winner (case#:35XX)
I am a taiwanese and going my master degree in California now.

I am happy to win the DV but I have no idea about my situation now.
Should I do AOS or just send the form to KCC?

I plan to do the interview in California, which option is better for me?
Can anyone help me out??

Thanks !!

ps. welcome to add my msn to discuss
msn: 3rdparty@pchome.com.tw

Change our minds

Hi~ everybody,

Thanks for your previous advise.

We decided to do AOS in first and mail our document soon in May. Then we changed our mind after we visit the officiers here. they weren't friendly and so "out of situation", we thought they are not so familiar the DV cases to compare AIT. My case number is AS1XXX, I think that I will have an interview around November. And we will call AIT to schedule an interview in December when my husband could take his annual leaves.

Two weeks ago, we made another petition to interview in Taipei AIT instead of USCIS here and didn't get any reply yet. I called my travel agent to book a flight to Taiwan, the domestic flights around Christmas are all full booking... I finally book one on Dec. 30. And the agent said I have to open the ticket before July 31... oh, my.

I want to make sure something before purchasing the tickets:
1. I can apply my USA taxes as a resident if I got my green card and enter USA in any date of this year.
2. I can change the interview date with AIT.

Thankx!!

ImInUtah said:
Hi~ everybody,

Thanks for your previous advise.

We decided to do AOS in first and mail our document soon in May. Then we changed our mind after we visit the officiers here. they weren't friendly and so "out of situation", we thought they are not so familiar the DV cases to compare AIT. My case number is AS1XXX, I think that I will have an interview around November. And we will call AIT to schedule an interview in December when my husband could take his annual leaves.

Two weeks ago, we made another petition to interview in Taipei AIT instead of USCIS here and didn't get any reply yet. I called my travel agent to book a flight to Taiwan, the domestic flights around Christmas are all full booking... I finally book one on Dec. 30. And the agent said I have to open the ticket before July 31... oh, my.

I want to make sure something before purchasing the tickets:
1. I can apply my USA taxes as a resident if I got my green card and enter USA in any date of this year.
2. I can change the interview date with AIT.

Thankx!!

Dear ImInUtah,

I think you should wait until your number come current before you book the flight. You can change the interview date with AIT but the date "must" within the month that scheduled for your number. You do have a low number with AS1XX but I think you should complete the application process to have the interview in AIT, otherwise your interview date might delay. :cool: