• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV winner,Entered America,problem with social security card

doctor1

Registered Users (C)
I have a friend who won a lottery dv visa from europe, and Point of entry was Houston, Tx, she went to apply for a social security number and was told that it comes with the green card and they cant issue her a number.

i always thought SSN and GC are different depts, she is worried.. please put some light in to this.. thanks

P.S. they gave her a one year entension on her dv visa at the airport until she gets her GC , can she apply for a drivers license before she gets her SSN and GC ?

thanks in advance

The SScard doesn't arrive together with the GC but the people from the SS office problaby meant to say that she applied for a GC on the form for her immigrant visa. I also didn't trust the automatic process so I went to the local SS office to apply for a card. They did that for me, however, you have to be in the country for 10days before they can actually process your application. I would go there again after those 10days and if they still don't want an extra application then you have to wait to see whether it works automatically.

SSN and GC

Hello,

My sister won a GC and completed all required docs for the SSN at the airport. She received her SSN card two days ago w/o ever going to the SSN office. She has been here only three weeks. i think they have changed the manner in which GC holders receive their SSN. I would check with SSN again after two weeks and informa them that the card never arrived if this were the case. Or request a replacement card that would be faster.

As long as one holds a GC, the SS office should have no problem issuing or reissuing a card unless something is grossly wrong.

Regards

thanks guys, she went to apply for the SSN , the next day she arrived, i will ask her to wait for another 10 days to re-apply.. hope it works..

thanks guys, she went to apply for the SSN , the next day she arrived, i will ask her to wait for another 10 days to re-apply.. hope it works..

So what happened after that? I'm curious because my DOE was about 3 weeks ago, and although I have received the GC, the SS card hasn't shown up so far.

I did go to the local office today, but it was packed from wall-to-wall (not a wise move to show up at noon I guess). I'm not kidding, the security guard actually asked some people to wait outside.

Since I already have an older SSN, I'm thinking of mailing in the SS-5 form with copies of the GC, the visa and my passport. I'm hoping I can do this by mail, but the papers are ambiguous about that (they basically say that you can mail the form but you might need to show up in person). Any opinions? I could always go back there on Friday, but really early in the morning...

EDIT: It looks like I'll need to go there again on Friday since they require "copies certified by the issuing agency" for any documents submitted by mail. There's no way I'll be able to get that for my passport on such short notice, so I guess there's no escaping the lines... :( I really wish the automatic process had worked!

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'm at it, I thought I'd share this informative link on the "automatic" SSN attribution process (getting it through a request on DS-230, or "Enumeration At Entry" as it's officially called). It details all the steps and explains what happens when you don't get your SS card by mail.

With any luck, it will show up before Friday, although chances are slim now. If it doesn't, I'll bring a thick book for the wait!

Do you have a SSC with restrictions on it like “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.” ? Then you need a new card.

I can tell you, show up 20 minutes before the SSA office opens then you dont have to wait very long.

wrong address ..green card

Hey guys...
i have a question about GC and SSN for u. now it has been over month since i landed in US. my port of entry was dulles airport. i came with a DV 2008 visa...but i didnt get my SSN or welcome letter or green card till now. finally i learned that the adress i filled in forms was wrong..probably my green card is sent to a wrong address. so who do u think i should contact or wha should i do? i am now in San jose california. i treid to contact the USCIS but they told me to call the national visa center. i wrote them e-mail after trying by phone many times..they didnt answer..i dont know what to do. please give me if u have the correct phone number and e-mail address of the responsible office.

thank you.

Did you call this number? USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375 – 5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TTY)?

Call them again.