• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV selectee questions

studmuffin

Hi,

I have filled out forms DSP-122 and DS-230 and would like to ask a couple of questions before I post them.

Form DS-230:

- Q10 & 11: I don't have an address in the US, so I put "N/A" for Q10. With regards to Q11 where I want my green card sent what should I answer? Is it necessary to supply an address and if so is it alright to use a friend's?

- Q35: I have been in the US many times as a tourist. Is the type of Visa "VWP"? Also, I don't know what DHS "A" number is, so should I put "N/A"?

- Q43(a) & (b): Can you please explain the advantages/ disadvantages of having a SSN assigned? If I answer no, can I get a SSN later?

Finally I would like to know how long after the DV is issued that I must move to the US. My understanding is that if my interview is successful I will receive a temporary Visa in my passport and the permanent green card will be issued once I move to the US. If you could please clarify this process.

Thank you.

P.S. I have already contacted the KCCDV via email before posting here and the reply I received was completely useless.

"Thank you for your inquiry,

You must visit the Department of State website at dvselectee.state.gov where you will find instructions and forms for completing the required processing steps."

Hi Studmuffin,

Q10 and 11: You will have to provide an address at your interview even if you don't provide one now. Some people just go with a temporary mailbox if they haven't got anyone stateside.

Q43: Getting your SSN once you're in the states isn't a problem. You just have to make your way to a Social Security office and fill in the forms. This question is supposed to make things easier however I've heard stories of people having to wait quite a while or not getting an SSN issued at all and having to go to the SSA to get one anyway. Answering yes can't hurt as far as I'm aware but you may have to go and get one regardless.

As for the entry time, once your interview is successful you will be issued with a visa on which you have to enter the USA within 6 months. After that initial entry you can leave again and stay away for up to 12 months, I believe, without too much trouble. Somebody else may have to confirm that though.

Hope this helps!

74 views and no answers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

They are too busy trying to convince themself that the lottery was illegitimate & so the KCC is proceding to a redrawing...

to answer your question :
for the green card issuance, i guess you can put just a state & add (will be provided)
for the ssn number.. faster if they just assigned it to you so you could start working/going to school right away

the green card, you will recieve it like 3 months (according to what past DV selectees said) to you US adress

I may be wrong, but if DV visa is a regular immigration visa, then it will be stamped at the port of entry, and that stamp will convert the visa to a temporary green card until the plastic green card arrives in the mail. The stamped visa aka greencard in your passport is good for a year if that plastic green card does not show up in the mail within a year. It usually takes it to arrive within 1,5-3 months, though. Correct me if I am wrong. At least it was the case with my IV in a different category.

SSN will help you file your taxes, go to work and also it's asked at the doctor's office and school admission's office.

As for the entry time, once your interview is successful you will be issued with a visa on which you have to enter the USA within 6 months. After that initial entry you can leave again and stay away for up to 12 months, I believe, without too much trouble. Somebody else may have to confirm that though.

Hope this helps!

You have 1 year to enter the usa after getting the visa, then after recieving the greencard, you can't leave the usa for more than 6 month per year... that only apply when you leave by air because if you go to let say Canada by bus, you don't get checked by the us customs so basicaly what you can do if you have to leave for more than 6 month to keep your greencard is to book a plane in Canada & reach canada by bus... the US customs won't even know that you left the country

You have 1 year to enter the usa after getting the visa...

I can say for certain that that is not correct. When we received our passports back after our interview there was a visa inside that had to be activated within 6 months. Once you've entered however that initial entry visa becomes a temporary green card valid for 12 months.

You have 1 year to enter the usa after getting the visa, then after recieving the greencard, you can't leave the usa for more than 6 month per year... that only apply when you leave by air because if you go to let say Canada by bus, you don't get checked by the us customs so basicaly what you can do if you have to leave for more than 6 month to keep your greencard is to book a plane in Canada & reach canada by bus... the US customs won't even know that you left the country

And what will happen when you enter back the US after leaving by bus to Canada to take a flight? Aren't the US customs noticing that you have been outside the US for several months?