• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV lottery winner with I-485 pending

Hearty_Chuckles

Registered Users (C)
Hi There,

I have a work based i-485 pending (RD11/13/01) and just got notified that I have been drawn from DV-2003 GC lottery. The letter indicates that I won't get a lottery based GC for sure. They are apparently drawing 100.000 people, but only 50.000 to 55.000 actually get a GC. From the forms I have to fill out in order to proceed with the DV based GC, it seems to me that I will enter the Adjustment of Status process again. And here comes my question. Would that interfere with my current one pending? And how long does it usually take from being notified that you won until you hold the GC in your hand.

Thanks so much.

Hearty_Chuckles,

You'll only be able to file for adjustment of status based on DV on the month the INS will be processing your sequence number. On the bottom part of the notification letter you received from DV you will find a sequence number for your region.
Keep checking every month the Visa Bulletin because you'll find there the numbers processed each month for DV based GC.
I know this because I was selected on DV 2000 but I never got my GC because my sequence number was never processed.

wtmachado

wtmachado,

Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't know about the concept with the region based sequence number before at all. That was very helpful information. With this in mind, it seems that my chances are pretty slim. I am EU 46xxx.

Your chance may not be that slim. You should choose CP, and hopefully you will be getting your interview next September:)
BTW, this site will answer all your questions regarding DV:

Good luck!

georgep,

Thanks for encouraging me. I will just go ahead and file for CP and see what happens. I can't hurt anyway.

In addition, I will check the Visa Bulletin and wait until INS is processing my sequence #. Eventually, I could file for AOS as well. Somewhere at this forum, I've read that you can file for both AOS and CS at the same time.