• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV lottery winner applying for reentry permit

Bianca.

Hello,

I am a DV lottery winner (DV 2022) and I have a husband and a 1 yo son. We made our first entry in the USA on 9/15/22. We stayed there for a month then came back to our home country. We want to travel again in August (before the expiration of one year since our first entry) and apply for a reentry permit and I really need your help with the following questions:

1. Are reentry permits approved regardless of reason, or you need a really strong reason for it to be approved? Is something like "want to spend time close to my family" working? We have a business in our home country and this is the main reason we want to prolong our stay here. What supporting documents will they need in this case? I guess it would be easier to go with the family reason and avoid getting a lot of paperwork translated as evidence for the company.
2. Is is possible to view the status of the application online?
3. I've seen that the processing time is very high (15 months or over). During this time are we allowed to stay outside the USA without risking our LPR status? Or is it necessary to spend a minimum of 6 months/year there until we get approved?
4. We intend to stay for approximately 2 weeks and apply, fly back to our home country and get back for the biometrics when we have our appointment. Is this possible? Have anyone tried it and was ok? I've read that others had this idea, but the guide on the USCIS site states "If you leave the United States before you provide your biometrics, USCIS may deny your application." so I'm afraid the application could be denied. However we can't afford to stay there for 6 weeks or more (I've seen that that's the approximate time between the application and biometrics appointment).
5. Is it possible that we don't need to go for the biometrics, since they already have ours from last year?
6. I understand that the only way of applying is by sending an envelope. So how much does it take to be notified of the biometrics appointment. If we can fly back home, and then go at a later date for biometrics, I would like to know in advance, so I won't have to buy tickets on a short notice.
7. Is it ok if I apply from a different state than the one I put in the address section? I want to mail the envelope from a different state and then have the biometrics where I have the address?

Any input/idea is much appreciated. Thank you in advance

P.S. Sorry if it's in the wrong section. I already posted in another section of the forum, but I didn't get any answers. Since I am a DV lottery winner I figured here would be ok as well, so the other one can pe closed/deleted. Thank you!

1. Approval of the Re-entry permit is not automatic. Considering the GC is meant for legally residing and working in the US, needing a re-entry permit because you want to spend time close to your family back home and work there doesn’t sound like an approvable reason to me. Surely you knew you’ll have to relocate when you opted to proceed with your DV selection. On a side note, hope you're already aware of the requirement for LPRs to declare their annual income regardless of where the income was earned.
2. No.
3. No one can guarantee you can remain outside the US for 15 months or more without any risk to your GC while the re-entry permit application is pending, considering an approval is not guaranteed.
4. If you depart from the US before your application has been officially received (regardless of when the application was delivered by your mailing service), the application will subsequently get denied.
5. Did you complete a previous biometric in the US?
6. Could be a couple of weeks after filing. Could be several weeks. It all depends on the backlog of applications being processed as at the time yours is received.
7. Yes, not a problem.

Thank you so much for your reply! :)

1. I knew since the beginning the conditions of the green card. However the situation is a bit more complicated. We have a business and have a contract with an American company (branch located in our home country) in the oil and gas analyzers industry. We build custom analysers for clients all over the world and are the only ones in the country doing so. They contracted projects for the next 2 years based on our collaboration, so we need to fulfill our duty. That would be the main reason. I figured that it would be more simple to go with the family excuse, but I guess I will explain in detail and attach a copy of the contract.
Of course I know I have to declare our income. I already contacted a CPA that filled for an extension and will resolve that asa soon as possible. I know it's a good proof of trying to maintain the residence.

3. I understand that. I guess we'll take our chance since there is not much we can do and see what happens. We hope for the best.

4. Officially received means the date they get the application in their mailbox, from my understanding (based on another thread I read. Hope around 2 weeks will be enough for that to happen.

5. Hope I'm not mistaking, but I think they processed our biometrics at our first entry at POE. I'm not sure if it's the same procedure.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your time to answer my questions.

4. Yes, that is correct, assuming the application is not rejected for some reason (such as form not correctly filled out, missing signature, out of date form, etc. - yes, that can happen). In this case, the rejected package will be sent back and you probably would have left the US if that were to happen. This is why waiting to receive the NOA after sending in the application is always recommended - this is may not happen within 2 weeks of filing.

5. AFAIK, that is not the bio that leads to a waiver.

Hello again!

I am getting ready my documents and have a few more questions that may seem stupid, but I want to make sure I do everything right. So here it goes:

1. In the instructions document it says: "If extra space is needed to complete any item, attach a separate sheet and type or print your name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) (if any), at the top of each sheet of paper; indicate the Part and Item Numbers to
which your answer refers; and date and sign each sheet.". So if I put as an evidence the contract my company has with the American company we're working for I do not have to put my A-Number, name etc. on that too, right? Seems pretty straight forward, since it's not really for an item of the form, but an additional evidence. However, since english is not my first language, I want to make sure I don't miss something important.

2. Regarding the previous question, I am the owner of the company and my husband is the manager/administrator. Is it enough to add for Part 4 ("
Purpose of trip. (If you need more space, continue on a separate sheet of paper.)") just one sheet of paper for the both of us with the explanation and we both sign it?

3. Is it ok if I type on the computer the explanation and print it and then write our names and date and sign it?

4. For our baby, who is 1,5 yo is it enough to write in the form "to be with my parents"?

5. All the doments for the 3 of us go in the same envelope, right?

6. Since I don't have a US bank account, what's the payment procedure exactly (for the fees)? What do I have to ask at the post office?

That't it for now. Thank you! :)

Sorry for the double post, I can't edit my previous message. Regarding question no. 6, I read about money orders I can get at the post office. I understand the limit is USD 1,000. The amount for 2 adults and 1 child is USD 1,895. Do I get 2 money orders, one for 1,000 and one for 1,895 or do I need to get one for each person (660 for each adult and 575 for the child, since no biometrics fee is necessary)? Thanks!

Hello again!

I am getting ready my documents and have a few more questions that may seem stupid, but I want to make sure I do everything right. So here it goes:

1. In the instructions document it says: "If extra space is needed to complete any item, attach a separate sheet and type or print your name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) (if any), at the top of each sheet of paper; indicate the Part and Item Numbers to
which your answer refers; and date and sign each sheet.". So if I put as an evidence the contract my company has with the American company we're working for I do not have to put my A-Number, name etc. on that too, right? Seems pretty straight forward, since it's not really for an item of the form, but an additional evidence. However, since english is not my first language, I want to make sure I don't miss something important.

2. Regarding the previous question, I am the owner of the company and my husband is the manager/administrator. Is it enough to add for Part 4 ("
Purpose of trip. (If you need more space, continue on a separate sheet of paper.)") just one sheet of paper for the both of us with the explanation and we both sign it?

3. Is it ok if I type on the computer the explanation and print it and then write our names and date and sign it?

4. For our baby, who is 1,5 yo is it enough to write in the form "to be with my parents"?

5. All the doments for the 3 of us go in the same envelope, right?

6. Since I don't have a US bank account, what's the payment procedure exactly (for the fees)? What do I have to ask at the post office?

That't it for now. Thank you! :)
1. Listing the A# on the supporting documents is not required. Wouldn’t hurt either if included. So use your discretion.
2. Each form/application should have its own set of supporting documents as applicable.
3. Yes.
4. May be.
5. Preferable to have each application with it’s applicable supporting documents in a separate envelope. Then the 3 envelopes all together in a bigger envelope and mailed together as one package.
Sorry for the double post, I can't edit my previous message. Regarding question no. 6, I read about money orders I can get at the post office. I understand the limit is USD 1,000. The amount for 2 adults and 1 child is USD 1,895. Do I get 2 money orders, one for 1,000 and one for 1,895 or do I need to get one for each person (660 for each adult and 575 for the child, since no biometrics fee is necessary)? Thanks!
You can get a combination of two money orders; or get 3 as in a separate money order for each person. Option 2 is my recommendation. Each application gets to have its own payment included with its applicable form and supporting documentation. Also, if there’s a problem with one application, having separate payments ensures all the applications do not get rejected by the Lockbox and sent back together, only the rejected application will get sent back for correction, while the remaining two will continue processing.

That's great. I appreciate your response. I have 2 more and I'm done, I promise :D

1. Is it ok if I go to the post office and get the money orders and then go to a FedEx, UPS or DHL office and send the applications form there, since I want to add the form G-1145 and it is only available for Lockbox facilities located in Lewisville, Chicago and Phoenix. My address is in Kansas, so I must send it to Dallas with USPS and to Lewisville with FedEx, UPS or DHL.

2. Do I need to complete Part 10 of the form (Preparer) for my child or is it enough if I only sign on his behalf?

Thanks a lot!

That's great. I appreciate your response. I have 2 more and I'm done, I promise :D

1. Is it ok if I go to the post office and get the money orders and then go to a FedEx, UPS or DHL office and send the applications form there, since I want to add the form G-1145 and it is only available for Lockbox facilities located in Lewisville, Chicago and Phoenix. My address is in Kansas, so I must send it to Dallas with USPS and to Lewisville with FedEx, UPS or DHL.

2. Do I need to complete Part 10 of the form (Preparer) for my child or is it enough if I only sign on his behalf?

Thanks a lot!
1. Yes you can buy your money order from the post office without mailing your package with USPS. But where did you read that the G-1145 form is only available for packages headed to Lockbox facilities located in Lewisville, Chicago and Phoenix only?
2. No need to fill out the Preparer section of the form?

On the uscis.gov website, in the form page, at Form Details, section "Special instructions" it says:
"Special Instructions
  • This service is only available for forms filed at our three Lockbox facilities located in Lewisville, Texas; Chicago, Illinois; and Phoenix, Arizona.
  • E-Notifications do not include any personal information, including your name, because email and text message are not secure ways for us to transmit this information. The notification will list your receipt number and tell you how to obtain case status information." - so according to the first paragraph my understanding is that only by mailing there you get to complete G-1145. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, I see it also, you are correct. I’m guessing it is sort of new which is why I wasn’t aware of it before. Anyway, the G-1145 is used for a one time notification only for when the application has formally been accepted.

Hi! We are in the US currently, I have sent the forms for the reentry permit with UPS and they were delivered yesterday (08/07). We go back in our home country on 08/14 (on Monday). Are we safe since it got delivered or do they need to actually open the envelope in order to send us the confirmation that they got it? Thanks.

You may be okay, as long as they find no cause to reject and return your application for one reason or the other when they open and start processing it. And yes, they’ll need to open and review the contents of the envelope before they can send out acceptance confirmation which may not happen before 8/14.

OMG, thank you so much! I was on pins and needles not sure I can leave prior to receiving the acceptance confirmation. As far as I'm concerned, they have no reason for rejecting the applications (keeping our fingers crossed). I double and triple checked everything. May God help us now. I appreciate your help!

Hi! Our cases were received today (pretty quickly).
I'm just gonna leave the timeline here, for information purposes for anyone interested. I know they vary depending on lockbox address, number of envelopes they get, number of employees and so on, but it might be a good indicator for now.

08/02 - sent the envelopes via UPS (regular ground transportation, 15 USD...they asked for 100 USD for next day delivery)
08/07 - envelopes delivered at approx 10 AM
08/10 - got the confirmation that our cases were received via text message at 3 PM. It says "official receipt notice (form i-797C) to follow in mail".

They were sent to the lockbox in Lewisville, TX.