• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV lottery interview experience

we're on the same boat

Please can anybody post their interview experience?

Eduardo82,
We are on the same boat but at different oceans. Europe/Africa
Am also lookin' for interview experience coz my interview is also based on October but on the 2nd week.
Anyway don' forget to post yua's when time comes.
All the best.
Lets continue inviting those successful guys to give us something worth so us our boats can sail in the same ocean

Eduardo82,
We are on the same boat but at different oceans. Europe/Africa
Am also lookin' for interview experience coz my interview is also based on October but on the 2nd week.
Anyway don' forget to post yua's when time comes.
All the best.
Lets continue inviting those successful guys to give us something worth so us our boats can sail in the same ocean

Hi wankinmaster!
When time comes i will share my interview experience.

Hello!

I have looked at this forum a million times throughout my journey and have found it sooo amazingly helpful I thought I would share my experience in the hopes that it might help some people.

I am from Australia, and applied for the DV Lottery in November 2010 on a whim. I didn't really think I had a chance but I guess you have to be in it to win it! My friend and I both entered and I put my number in a safe place because I knew it was a long wait! I checked my number in May and it came up with the message 'You HAVE NOT been selected.' I wasn't really surprised to be honest so I threw away my piece of paper. Sometime after that I read that there had been a mistake and the lottery that was drawn had not been random and they were going to do it again. I was excited but I had already thrown out my piece of paper with my number so I thought that was a bit unfair. Low and behold after a few days I received an email telling me my number and to check again July 15th. I thought that this was some kind of sign so I kept the email and was feeling alot more positive this time around.

After another two months of waiting (Waiting becomes a theme in this process) I checked it on the morning of the 15th. I could not believe my eyes that I had been selected! I almost thought it was too good to be true and after the last draw being wrong I didn't get my hopes up too high, and not knowing much about the process I wasn't sure what my chances were. I knew I was in for a long process but I had ALWAYS wanted to live and work in America so I was beyond excited! I filled in my forms that weekend and sent them away to KCC. I used an express post bag but it didn't have tracking and it was frustrating not knowing if it had arrived, so I would advise anyone who is sending their forms to use tracking.

I evenutally emailed them asking to confirm whether they had my forms. They said they had been received. I went back onto the DV website to check my status again (strange I know) and it said I 'HAVE NOT BEEN SELECTED.' I was using a different computer that was older and didn't have the up to date internet explorer so it came up wrong. Use and UP TO DATE browser when checking otherwise you could get the wrong message. I went home and checked again and all was in order.

After this there is a MASSIVE wait until you hear from them again for your interview time. My interview was at the end of November, and although this is pretty early I still felt like I was waiting FOREVER! I went and had my fingerprints done, had my medical which was easy, and then got all of the other documents in order. The selectee site that the DV government gives you isn't that comprehensive, so I searched this forum for Sydney Consulate information. I found some great stuff that told me exactly what to take, and to also take a photocopy as well.

During the wait before my interview I did alot of research online. I think I must have known everything there was to know about the process. Of course I still had some doubts in my mind and had read horror stories about people not getting a Visa for various reasons. There is a great place that takes american size passport photos just near the embassy, so I did that the day before.

THE DAY: I stayed at a place just 1 street away from the consulate in Sydney which was the way to go. You want to be able to walk to your appointment so that you know you won't get stuck in traffic. At 7:40am I arrived at the consulate and went up to level 10 where you go through security. It wasn't open yet but there were three others waiting there. It opened maybe 5 minutes after I got there so we went it, I didn't take a bag cause then you have to check it in, and the others had all kinds of things so I got to skip past them and was the first to sit down. After 5 minutes of waiting a lady took about 4 of us up the elevator to the Consulate. If I could recommend ANYTHING it would be to go straight to level 10 at about 730am. That way you are first and you won't have to wait. I have read things about getting in the elevator last so you get out first and are first in line, but this didn't really matter because in the end whoever is the most organised will get through the fastest anyway.

We got up to the embassy level at about 755am, where number 1 was called, then myself. I went up to a window and presented all of my documents listed, original with photocopy underneath and was asked to sit down and wait. I had everything they had asked for and anything they didn't want to see (financials) they gave straight back to me then and there. Only give them what they have asked for, and if they want anything additional they will ask you themselves. They then took about 5 minutes to review my documents.

I was then asked to go to the window to pay, so I went there and paid with credit card. This for me was much easier then messing around with money. I sat back down and about 5 more minutes later was called up for my interview. The lady asked me the following questions:

- What was your longest stay in the US?
- What visa were you on for that stay?
- Have you ever had any immigration problems?
- What is your highest level of education?
- Where did you get your bachelor from?
- Do you have any children?
- Have you ever been married?
- Where do you intend on living?
- Have you ever commited a crime?

That's all for today, your visa will be with you in a week.
I walked out of the doors at 8:20am. It was such a quick and easy process. I actually couldn't believe how easy it was. Only a couple of days later my visa had arrived. I am moving in February and could not be more excited!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

Hello!

I have looked at this forum a million times throughout my journey and have found it sooo amazingly helpful I thought I would share my experience in the hopes that it might help some people.

I am from Australia, and applied for the DV Lottery in November 2010 on a whim. I didn't really think I had a chance but I guess you have to be in it to win it! My friend and I both entered and I put my number in a safe place because I knew it was a long wait! I checked my number in May and it came up with the message 'You HAVE NOT been selected.' I wasn't really surprised to be honest so I threw away my piece of paper. Sometime after that I read that there had been a mistake and the lottery that was drawn had not been random and they were going to do it again. I was excited but I had already thrown out my piece of paper with my number so I thought that was a bit unfair. Low and behold after a few days I received an email telling me my number and to check again July 15th. I thought that this was some kind of sign so I kept the email and was feeling alot more positive this time around.

After another two months of waiting (Waiting becomes a theme in this process) I checked it on the morning of the 15th. I could not believe my eyes that I had been selected! I almost thought it was too good to be true and after the last draw being wrong I didn't get my hopes up too high, and not knowing much about the process I wasn't sure what my chances were. I knew I was in for a long process but I had ALWAYS wanted to live and work in America so I was beyond excited! I filled in my forms that weekend and sent them away to KCC. I used an express post bag but it didn't have tracking and it was frustrating not knowing if it had arrived, so I would advise anyone who is sending their forms to use tracking.

I evenutally emailed them asking to confirm whether they had my forms. They said they had been received. I went back onto the DV website to check my status again (strange I know) and it said I 'HAVE NOT BEEN SELECTED.' I was using a different computer that was older and didn't have the up to date internet explorer so it came up wrong. Use and UP TO DATE browser when checking otherwise you could get the wrong message. I went home and checked again and all was in order.

After this there is a MASSIVE wait until you hear from them again for your interview time. My interview was at the end of November, and although this is pretty early I still felt like I was waiting FOREVER! I went and had my fingerprints done, had my medical which was easy, and then got all of the other documents in order. The selectee site that the DV government gives you isn't that comprehensive, so I searched this forum for Sydney Consulate information. I found some great stuff that told me exactly what to take, and to also take a photocopy as well.

During the wait before my interview I did alot of research online. I think I must have known everything there was to know about the process. Of course I still had some doubts in my mind and had read horror stories about people not getting a Visa for various reasons. There is a great place that takes american size passport photos just near the embassy, so I did that the day before.

THE DAY: I stayed at a place just 1 street away from the consulate in Sydney which was the way to go. You want to be able to walk to your appointment so that you know you won't get stuck in traffic. At 7:40am I arrived at the consulate and went up to level 10 where you go through security. It wasn't open yet but there were three others waiting there. It opened maybe 5 minutes after I got there so we went it, I didn't take a bag cause then you have to check it in, and the others had all kinds of things so I got to skip past them and was the first to sit down. After 5 minutes of waiting a lady took about 4 of us up the elevator to the Consulate. If I could recommend ANYTHING it would be to go straight to level 10 at about 730am. That way you are first and you won't have to wait. I have read things about getting in the elevator last so you get out first and are first in line, but this didn't really matter because in the end whoever is the most organised will get through the fastest anyway.

We got up to the embassy level at about 755am, where number 1 was called, then myself. I went up to a window and presented all of my documents listed, original with photocopy underneath and was asked to sit down and wait. I had everything they had asked for and anything they didn't want to see (financials) they gave straight back to me then and there. Only give them what they have asked for, and if they want anything additional they will ask you themselves. They then took about 5 minutes to review my documents.

I was then asked to go to the window to pay, so I went there and paid with credit card. This for me was much easier then messing around with money. I sat back down and about 5 more minutes later was called up for my interview. The lady asked me the following questions:

- What was your longest stay in the US?
- What visa were you on for that stay?
- Have you ever had any immigration problems?
- What is your highest level of education?
- Where did you get your bachelor from?
- Do you have any children?
- Have you ever been married?
- Where do you intend on living?
- Have you ever commited a crime?

That's all for today, your visa will be with you in a week.
I walked out of the doors at 8:20am. It was such a quick and easy process. I actually couldn't believe how easy it was. Only a couple of days later my visa had arrived. I am moving in February and could not be more excited!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for sharing your experience. That is so helpful.

Why is my husband's daughter name is on the interview letter? Please help

Why is my husband's daughter name is on the interview letter? Please help.
I have been chosen as one of DV winners for the 2013. I am the principal applicant. I am married and my husband has a 10 year old daughter from her previous marriage. The little girl lives with her mother 3000 km from us and she does not want immigrate to the US. (The mother has sole custody). My husband and I submitted the forms DSP-122, and DS-230 to Kentucky as required. On the form DS-230 question 29. (List Names, Dates and Places of Birth, and Addresses of ALL Children.) I did write that N/A because I don’t have my own child, but on my husband’s form DS-230 as required he did write the details of his child. But in question 31a. (Person(s) named in 14 and 29 who will accompany you to the United States now) we only write each other’s name not the child’s name at all. In the next question (31b. Person(s) named in 14 and 29 who will follow you to the United States at a later date.) we both wrote “none”.
So after 3 month I received an e-mail to check the status of my application. The appointment has been scheduled for October 4, 2012.*
“This is the official notice for you to pursue your application for DV-2013 Visa. An appointment has been scheduled for the applicant at the stated location. The applicant and all members of the applicant’s family must appear at the appointed date and time for your interview…”

But on the appointment letter has three names, my husband name as well as his daughter’s name and mine. I as a principal applicant and my husband and his daughter as beneficiaries. My husband’s daughter is only 10 years old and cannot present at the interview because it’s impossible.( She's only 10 and, her mother decide, and she is far away 3000km) We did everything honestly as required. My husband had to list her name on the form DS-230 no other way around.

Please give me some advice what to do know. If my husband daughter will not present at the interview we have no chance for successful interview? Any help or past experience would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Police clearance

I have received my 2nd NL and have been scheduled for interview in October. Within the ten year period, I resided for 2 yrs in Ivory Coast while I was about 16 yrs. Right now there is this border situation with Ivory Coast and My country which led to the closure of my country's border with that country. So, in this kind of situation, will I still need to go and get a police clearance from there considering the political situation currently ongoing there?? CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME WITH THIS ONE????

Last edited by a moderator:
I have received my 2nd NL and have been scheduled for interview in October. Within the ten year period, I resided for 2 yrs in Ivory Coast while I was about 16 yrs. Right now there is this border situation with Ivory Coast and My country which led to the closure of my country's border with that country. So, in this kind of situation, will I still need to go and get a police clearance from there considering the political situation currently ongoing there?? CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME WITH THIS ONE????

Which country are you from? I don't think Ivory Coast has any border issue with its neighbouring countries which will prevent travelling in the country.

I have a question, i have been placed on AP but i checked my status online and it hasn't been updated, why could that be ?

On sep 5th, i arrived at the embassy 06.30am for my interview, but waited till 11am before being interviewed as the cashier was not at her desk for me to make my visa payment.

Good morning
good morning sir i replied
do you swear that everything you have written in the forms and you will say this morning is true? I answered yes
what is your name? I answered
you are .... Years old right? ..... Yes
why did you apply for dv lottery in the first place.......... I answered
where were you when you applied.... I answered
where do you study... I answered him
what is your major...... I answered him
how long have you been living here... I answered
and you're in your fourth year right.... Yes sir
how did you come across the school and why the city......i answered
are there other nigerians studying in your school... I said yes
any other african ? I said yes but he graduated and now works...... He asked how the guy came about the school then i explained to me..
What is your date of birth,... I told him.. And he showed me the form where an error occured which i explained to him
he asked when i am graduating from university and i told him and he said now that you are in your final year, how would you go about this because you if you are issued a visa you must travel within 6months. I told him i really look forward to finishing with school and then moving to the usa to further my education, live and work there
he later asked if i had made any errors ever via my date of birth while filing an official form and i told him about the error i discovered after filing the ds forms to kcc, the computer where i went for printing changed all years, such as my date of birth was changed to 1466......
He started typing on his computer and said he will give me a letter which shows that my case has been put under processing and he went inside and came out with a white paper 221(g) paper but no other documents required, the "other" box was ticked on the form and below it says case under processing and to wait for them to contact me.
I asked him how long this would take, he told me he can't say due to the fact that it is a bit difficult to verify documents from some countries and meanwhile i am applying from a foreign country that they need some time, he wanted to return my original copies and my passport but i told him to holds on to it as he told me having the originals with them will facilitate quicker processing and verification and also they have to check if visas aren't used up yet cos at times they are being used up before the end of fiscal year and vice versa..... He then asked if i am okay leaving my passport with them, i said i have a copy of it and i have my school id cards so i will be fine. He confirmed my phone number and email and asked if calling was the best way to reach me and i said yes.......
He told me they will do their best to make sure verification process is done asap and they will get back to me.

Fingers crossed now and am hoping they contact me soon with a good news......... I can't wait........

On sep 5th, i arrived at the embassy 06.30am for my interview, but waited till 11am before being interviewed as the cashier was not at her desk for me to make my visa payment.

Good morning
good morning sir i replied
do you swear that everything you have written in the forms and you will say this morning is true? I answered yes
what is your name? I answered
you are .... Years old right? ..... Yes
why did you apply for dv lottery in the first place.......... I answered
where were you when you applied.... I answered
where do you study... I answered him
what is your major...... I answered him
how long have you been living here... I answered
and you're in your fourth year right.... Yes sir
how did you come across the school and why the city......i answered
are there other nigerians studying in your school... I said yes
any other african ? I said yes but he graduated and now works...... He asked how the guy came about the school then i explained to me..
What is your date of birth,... I told him.. And he showed me the form where an error occured which i explained to him
he asked when i am graduating from university and i told him and he said now that you are in your final year, how would you go about this because you if you are issued a visa you must travel within 6months. I told him i really look forward to finishing with school and then moving to the usa to further my education, live and work there
he later asked if i had made any errors ever via my date of birth while filing an official form and i told him about the error i discovered after filing the ds forms to kcc, the computer where i went for printing changed all years, such as my date of birth was changed to 1466......
He started typing on his computer and said he will give me a letter which shows that my case has been put under processing and he went inside and came out with a white paper 221(g) paper but no other documents required, the "other" box was ticked on the form and below it says case under processing and to wait for them to contact me.
I asked him how long this would take, he told me he can't say due to the fact that it is a bit difficult to verify documents from some countries and meanwhile i am applying from a foreign country that they need some time, he wanted to return my original copies and my passport but i told him to holds on to it as he told me having the originals with them will facilitate quicker processing and verification and also they have to check if visas aren't used up yet cos at times they are being used up before the end of fiscal year and vice versa..... He then asked if i am okay leaving my passport with them, i said i have a copy of it and i have my school id cards so i will be fine. He confirmed my phone number and email and asked if calling was the best way to reach me and i said yes.......
He told me they will do their best to make sure verification process is done asap and they will get back to me.

Fingers crossed now and am hoping they contact me soon with a good news......... I can't wait........

Where did you go for the interview? Did u apply as a Nigerian?

Our border has been closed over the time.

To request a police clearance in Ivory Coast, you do not need to be in the country. If you have relatives there, just send them a copy of your birth certificate with the corresponding fee (between 1 to 2$) and they will apply on your behalf at the court house.
Which city where you residing in Ivory Coast? You did not answer my previous question about the neighboring country which border were closed.
Good luck!

Had my interview here in Thailand and yes I applied as a Nigerian. how long does it take before status changes to AP online ?

Yeah, I guess AP could be done with anytime and the final time should be Sept.31,2012.Let us know when anything changes.Good luck!

Yeah, I guess AP could be done with anytime and the final time should be Sept.31,2012.Let us know when anything changes.Good luck!

Thanks, I keep waiting and checking periodically, nothing has changed yet, i hope it does soon. Anything new with you ?

I meet 12 years of study but not working in related field

Guys,
I have a special situation.
I've done my master and bachelor in engineering, and had worked in related field for 1.5 years. But since last Oct, I'm working in a totally different field, which is retail!
My wife also has done her masters and is working in a related field, but I'm the winner not her!
So just wondering if it has adverse effect on my interview?

Cheers all.

question concerning the requirement of a person who will welcome me in USA.

hello everyone
I was selected in the DV lottery 2013 and I had to validate all form and photos KCC.
lately I received the date of the interview The U.S. embassy.
but I recall that I have no attachment or name or address or phone someone I know lives in USA.
I must have someone I know who lives in usa?
if it's required , i tel the consular at the interview about all theses informations?
thanx :eek:

Case No: 2013AF0004XXX
Entry checked: 9th May 2012
Forms sent to KCC: 15 June 2012
Received by KCC: 09 July 2012
2nd NL: 09 April 2013
Interviews: June 2013

Last edited by a moderator: