• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

dv lottery denied

deni

I was today on the us consulate in albania and they refused my visa with dv lottery giving me the letter saying that I don't meet school requirement. I have a high school technical diploma and the same diploma has my nephew that came in usa with the dv lottery 6 years ago and now is us citizen. is anything that I can do at this point? why they refused my application and not his application?

I was today on the us consulate in albania and they refused my visa with dv lottery giving me the letter saying that I don't meet school requirement. I have a high school technical diploma and the same diploma has my nephew that came in usa with the dv lottery 6 years ago and now is us citizen. is anything that I can do at this point? why they refused my application and not his application?

That is sad to hear. Obviously it is hard for anyone here to determine why there was a difference with your case and your nephews case - we would only be guessing. Tirana do a number of things wrong, but it is possible that education requirments have been changed in the last 6 years (some embassies publish the requirement for each year).

Basically no there is nothing you can do, there is no appeal process. Perhaps if you had met the work experience requirement you could have gone there with a work experience case prepared, but that would not help you now.

I'm sorry to hear that. There was a case last year or the year before of the same thing (denied but knowing someone who had previously won with the same diploma) - the DoS does sometimes change the rules of what is eligible for a particular country and I assume this is what has happened in Albania.

So sorry to hear that but don't be sad about it, 2017 Lottery is around the corner apply for it and prepare your work experience instead hopefully you will get through. We can't change the past but we can definitely do something different in the future. Keep determined and focus on your work experience and good luck :)

Sorry Deni.

I can see on the Tirana Embassy website they say "Not all high school degrees in Albania qualify for the program.... vocational high school degrees rarely qualify for the DV program". Maybe they changed the rules?

Sorry Deni.

I can see on the Tirana Embassy website they say "Not all high school degrees in Albania qualify for the program.... vocational high school degrees rarely qualify for the DV program". Maybe they changed the rules?

This is a "standard" rule for all DV cases. The difference might be with how Tirana is applying it, or they may have knowledge of the vocational schools/programs they deem acceptable and which they don't.

Hello deni. I'm sorry to hear that. I am from Albania too. My family had the same case on DV2014. My father won DV2014, last year, on 29th May we had the interview and it was denied because my father did not meet education requirements. He had finished professional high school ( Gjimnazin Industrial ). I believe you have the same diploma.
It is very disappointing, I know how you feel. :(
A friend of my father, he got visa, he had the same high school diploma but this was years ago. I believe US Embassy in Tirana is very strict. :/

dear friends,

I also wanted to ask some questions regarding education eligibility.

My wife has done 3 years of vocational high school here in Albanian " harry t fultz " and than migrated to USA for one year and finished high school there where she took the diploma.
After she finished high school in US she returned to Albania and started college here where she graduated and received bachelor degree, after that she started master and she will received the diploma in October.

So I'm frightened that maybe they will reject the case because of 3 years from vocational school.

I forgot to mention that our case no is current for October but we submitted a little bit late and think that will have the interview in November.

So whats your opinion should I be worried.

Thanks a lot

dear friends,

I also wanted to ask some questions regarding education eligibility.

My wife has done 3 years of vocational high school here in Albanian " harry t fultz " and than migrated to USA for one year and finished high school there where she took the diploma.
After she finished high school in US she returned to Albania and started college here where she graduated and received bachelor degree, after that she started master and she will received the diploma in October.

So I'm frightened that maybe they will reject the case because of 3 years from vocational school.

I forgot to mention that our case no is current for October but we submitted a little bit late and think that will have the interview in November.

So whats your opinion should I be worried.

Thanks a lot

Did your wife graduate from an actual US high school? IMHO If your wife has an american high school certificate they'll happily accept it.

Yes she graduated from a US high school and she got the diploma. After that she came to Albania and applied to university with US high school diploma.

I was concerned because she studied 3 years here in Albania in a vocational school and only the last year of the high school in US where she graduated.

The requirement is a qualification equivalent to U.S high school, so if she has a U.S. high school diploma (that isn't a GED), she will surely automatically meet the requirement.