• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 OC Selectees

Hello! I had my interview at the Sydney Consulate today. Good news - approved! Thank you @Britsimon and everyone in the forum. I am grateful that I had all of you for tips.

Please see below for how today worked:

Parked at 60 Miller Street (Wilsons). Entry is actually on William Street behind Miller Street North Sydney.

Arrived at 10.30 am for my 11.00 am interview. The entry to the Consulate is on ground floor next to the entry to 50 Miller Street (Left Hand Side). There is a sign to "line up here". I knocked to let them know I was here.

Once inside, there is ground level security check. We went through quickly having left phones etc. in the car. You buzz up to Level 5 in a secure lift. Things are very secure. Belts, jackets, phones, documents all had to be scanned.

Once in Level 5, you line up in the visa line. One of the (Australian) clerks takes all your supporting documents. You then pay your fee after receiving a ticket.

We only waited 10 minutes before the CO called us. He advised how well our supporting documents where including medicals. I spent hours checking to ensure everything was perfect - including the express paid envelopes.

The interview was very, very informal. Because of my DUI I was a dash worried though we only confirmed the date of the event and that was it.

We discussed work options in LA.

I went to the interview over-prepared. I had bank statements, home loan statements and photos (we were married after I wont the DV); school documents, under/post graduate documents, CV, O-NET classifications for my employment and even a medical statement from my Dr. to state I am not a piss head (due to the DUI years ago)...

None of those documents were required.

The CO and the clerk did state how perfect the supporting documents (and copies) were. They advised that lots haven't become so prepared.

Although things were informal, we completed our DS260s perfectly with attention to detail and honesty. I suspect they do a significant amount of checks before your interview.

We were back in the car at 11.24 am so was very quick.

Sending positive energy for those who interviews are coming up.
@AUDV2022 congrats on getting it. Glad to hear they were fine with your documents surrounding your DUI, hope its the same for me. You mentioned you discussed work options in LA. Just wanted to know as not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread. I've mentioned that the address for where i want my green card is in LA as thats the place where I have a family friend though my intention would be to move to New York if successful since i've been there before and somewhat familiar and like the feel of the city. Would a CO be ok with this considering I don't have any family/friends there?

Hi everyone,

I have an interview in Suva in late July, OC24xx.

Planning on seeing a tax professional but thought I’d see if anyone can shed light on the US tax obligations for green card holders here. Does it begin once the Suva embassy provides the temporary visa after the interview, once the permanent residency is activated when entering the US within 6 months or when you finally immigrate within a year of activation?

Wondering how best to manage existing investment property/stocks, given the tax year in the US is Jan-Dec, and if a tax return needs to be lodged for US 2022 Fin-year if visa application is successful in July?

Thanks!
I'm also seeking professional advice on this. I'm just hoping it doesn't include 'sell everything before activating your PR' because I've basically lost 25% on investments this year with the declining markets and the pound is now really weak (I live in the UK). I couldn't think of a worse time in recent history for me to migrate my life savings. But even if I arrive with only a nickel to my name the dream of opening a cross country chain of donut shops will keep me going.

@AUDV2022 congrats on getting it. Glad to hear they were fine with your documents surrounding your DUI, hope its the same for me. You mentioned you discussed work options in LA. Just wanted to know as not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread. I've mentioned that the address for where i want my green card is in LA as thats the place where I have a family friend though my intention would be to move to New York if successful since i've been there before and somewhat familiar and like the feel of the city. Would a CO be ok with this considering I don't have any family/friends there?
Hey Shezza, I am in the same boat as you. I need to update my address from the address listed on my DS260. I forgot to update my address in the CO meeting (I think you can do it there) so following my interview, I emailed the Consulate to update. They advised I can update the address when I enter the US at customs. So even though it might be wrong now; you can update it when you land in the US...

I'm also seeking professional advice on this. I'm just hoping it doesn't include 'sell everything before activating your PR' because I've basically lost 25% on investments this year with the declining markets and the pound is now really weak (I live in the UK). I couldn't think of a worse time in recent history for me to migrate my life savings. But even if I arrive with only a nickel to my name the dream of opening a cross country chain of donut shops will keep me going.
Hey Groovy, I have already sought some accounting advice as things are complex though very much on the preliminary side. We will spend up to 5 years in the US though will come home to Australia.

There is a trigger point between 5 and 6 years where tax gets very complicated where the accountant advised we would need to pay capital gains to the US on our Australia assets. Unsure why though its a follow up point. I would get your accountant to ensure they record your stay in the US so if you wish to move back to Australia, you can time it before you get stung with that tax.

You don't need to sell anything. We will complete returns in Australia and the US. For any tax paid in Australia you will get a tax credit for the US so you are not "double taxed".

I have some friends in California and because tax is generally much higher in Australia, they are generally paying the same or less in the US so are not necessarily penalised.

You don't need to sell anything. We will complete returns in Australia and the US. For any tax paid in Australia you will get a tax credit for the US so you are not "double taxed".
It is also worth noting as its been mentioned a few times, that the tax agreement only stops you having to pay the federal tax and that you will still be taxed on state tax (if your state has this). So you will still be kind of getting double taxed if you're in a state like California.

It is also worth noting as its been mentioned a few times, that the tax agreement only stops you having to pay the federal tax and that you will still be taxed on state tax (if your state has this). So you will still be kind of getting double taxed if you're in a state like California.
That's right, tax treaty is on Federal tax though when you add in Federal plus Cali you are not penalised as much as I thought...

Hi Everyone, some advice needed. Does anyone have a list of medical examination places in Sydney
My interview date is the 19th July at the new North Sydney office.

Thank you.
In case helpful for you and others, I called all four clinics (2 in Sydney and 2 in Melbourne) on 16 June to investigate the various waiting times, and responses on their upcoming appointment availability were as follows:

Dr Celina Rappaport, MediCentral Sydney - did not pick up the call so sent an email & waiting on a response, will update this post once I have it.
Dr Rosemary Aldous, MedicalOne Sydney - next available Monday 11 July
Dr Charles Okraglik, Toorak Village Medical Centre Melbourne - next available mid-July
Dr Stuart Turnbull, Sonic Health Plus Melbourne - next available mid-July

I did not contact the Perth clinic for any WA-based readers, apologies!

That's right, tax treaty is on Federal tax though when you add in Federal plus Cali you are not penalised as much as I thought...
You still might get a shock after reading your first paycheck in general, if you move to CA.

Depending on how you file and how many allowances you claim, seeing 30-35%+ being taken out of your paycheck every two weeks isn’t fun.

to those living in AUS, has anyone found a tax agent well-versed in US-AUS tax law?

Guess I'll have to seek out a US tax agent depending on what state I end up in.

This is what someone sent me when I asked a US expat:

★ American taxes (and can also do Australian taxes): Megan at Omnitax is an American based in Australia who does both at great rates and provides personalized, American-style service.

★ American taxes (and can also do Australian taxes): If you have a more complex tax situation then try Jason at Uptrend Advisory

★ American taxes only: TFX - A company that specializes in only filing US returns for overseas citizens

Hello, I'm doing research but thought I'd ask here just incase anyone has already found out something. I've read on here we don't have to officially start TAX until we first check into the USA and become LPR. Does anyone know what months tax is in the USA and is it a few hundred $ like here when you do it at H&R block?

Thanks.

Hello, I'm doing research but thought I'd ask here just incase anyone has already found out something. I've read on here we don't have to officially start TAX until we first check into the USA and become LPR. Does anyone know what months tax is in the USA and is it a few hundred $ like here when you do it at H&R block?

Thanks.
No need to start tax until you are an LPR (so once you enter and activate). Tax season is Jan 1st to Dec 31st. Due date for filing federal tax is usually April 15. Not sure on the cost part, mine was a few hundred when I was there, I did it through Sprintax which is for non residents (recommended by my sponsor company on my J1 visa), so I assume it would be similar for regular accountants too.

Thanks.

There’s plenty of free, online tax preparation companies. The IRS website lists a few (if you meet the earning criteria). I use TurboTax, you can pick the $0 option for a basic return or spend a bit more (can’t remember exact amount but it’s not to bad) to get help from one of their tax preparers along the way.

You’ll file a federal and state tax return, you can do it in the same submission. It’s pretty straightforward, every section will prompt you with a list of questions, advancing your return based on what you selected, updating your -/+ as you go, and for a first time filer- you’re not going to have to much trouble. It’ll also ask you about any foreign accounts/ earnings.

You do have to pay tax on crypto here, if you buy/sell when you get here you’ll need to add your transactions.

I just paid someone to do it the first year we were here. It was complicated with my NZ earnings, was just easier to pay and let someone else do it. I think it cost a few hundred.

Hey all,
I noticed I missed a few small silly mistakes on my ds260. I’m scheduled in Suva in July. I missed adding a social media account, an old phone number and one European country that I traveled to (I’ve been to so many countries in the last 5 years and I just absolutely spaced on this one!).

Questions:
1) If I email the embassy, can they unlock/make amendments if I’m already scheduled?
2) If yes, may requesting this delay my interview at all?
3) If I have to simply update at interview, will these sort of additions lead to potential AP?
4) At what point during the embassy interview is it appropriate to add any additional info? Does the CO specifically ask at the start/end if there is anything missing?

Last edited:
Hello! I had my interview at the Sydney Consulate today. Good news - approved! Thank you @Britsimon and everyone in the forum. I am grateful that I had all of you for tips.

Please see below for how today worked:

Parked at 60 Miller Street (Wilsons). Entry is actually on William Street behind Miller Street North Sydney.

Arrived at 10.30 am for my 11.00 am interview. The entry to the Consulate is on ground floor next to the entry to 50 Miller Street (Left Hand Side). There is a sign to "line up here". I knocked to let them know I was here.

Once inside, there is ground level security check. We went through quickly having left phones etc. in the car. You buzz up to Level 5 in a secure lift. Things are very secure. Belts, jackets, phones, documents all had to be scanned.

Once in Level 5, you line up in the visa line. One of the (Australian) clerks takes all your supporting documents. You then pay your fee after receiving a ticket.

We only waited 10 minutes before the CO called us. He advised how well our supporting documents where including medicals. I spent hours checking to ensure everything was perfect - including the express paid envelopes.

The interview was very, very informal. Because of my DUI I was a dash worried though we only confirmed the date of the event and that was it.

We discussed work options in LA.

I went to the interview over-prepared. I had bank statements, home loan statements and photos (we were married after I wont the DV); school documents, under/post graduate documents, CV, O-NET classifications for my employment and even a medical statement from my Dr. to state I am not a piss head (due to the DUI years ago)...

None of those documents were required.

The CO and the clerk did state how perfect the supporting documents (and copies) were. They advised that lots haven't become so prepared.

Although things were informal, we completed our DS260s perfectly with attention to detail and honesty. I suspect they do a significant amount of checks before your interview.

We were back in the car at 11.24 am so was very quick.

Sending positive energy for those who interviews are coming up.

Properly prepared = easy peasy.

Just completed my medical exam at Epworth Clinic in Suva, for anyone doing their test there and are curious, here’s how mines went:
  • Arrived 9am
  • Waited for 40 minutes - best you bring a book or something to keep yourself busy
  • First check up: weight, height, blood pressure check
  • Second check up: Blood sample, measles shot, tetanus shot, hepatitis B shot administered
  • Third check up: Went upstairs for chest and side X-Ray scan
  • Total cost including the three vaccines was $560 FJD

Hey all,
I noticed I missed a few small silly mistakes on my ds260. I’m scheduled in Suva in July. I missed adding a social media account, an old phone number and one European country that I traveled to (I’ve been to so many countries in the last 5 years and I just absolutely spaced on this one!).

Questions:
1) If I email the embassy, can they unlock/make amendments if I’m already scheduled?
2) If yes, may requesting this delay my interview at all?
3) If I have to simply update at interview, will these sort of additions lead to potential AP?
4) At what point during the embassy interview is it appropriate to add any additional info? Does the CO specifically ask at the start/end if there is anything missing?

For anyone curious & ever in the same boat, I emailed Suva embassy and they said:

For minor additions/changes, please provide the information you need added/changed and we will do this for you.

I emailed them the changes, and they responded within 40 mins that it was added to my DS260. Crisis averted :)