• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners Meet Here

I know right? LOL. I am considering framing my Macbook as well cause both time I used it to play on hubby's behalf and he won…LOL.
Anyway, congrats to all the new winners, and good luck with the process in the coming months.
Hi it seems your husband already got his GC. Why did he play again?

Is it because you were unsure about the CN?

That would definitely make things interesting again!!!!

Yeah. Because Simon is so darn patient, I'm sure he won't mind reminding us what the average non-response rate is ;) (I can't remember where the data is and...am lazy :p ) I'd think that alone is probably enough to be pretty confident of a second draw.

Ooooooh second draw.....

Those funsters like to keep things interesting don't they!!!!

Im sure Simon could speculate whether based on average take up rates all the visas will be exhausted with a pool of 84,000 selectees.

Fingers crossed!

Just curious, for those who applied or got selected (or past selected) that currently aren't in the US, if you make it all the way through do you have friends over there to help you out when you get started or are you going it alone?
At this point I'm single with little to no contact with people in the states and now that I've been selected, I'm trying to think about how I'm going to make this work down the track if I do get a Greencard.

Just curious, for those who applied or got selected (or past selected) that currently aren't in the US, if you make it all the way through do you have friends over there to help you out when you get started or are you going it alone?
At this point I'm single with little to no contact with people in the states and now that I've been selected, I'm trying to think about how I'm going to make this work down the track if I do get a Greencard.

It's still very early days, but do you know where abouts you would like to move to? It's definitely easy to meet people in places like NYC that are so dense. But regardless of where you go - I found on both my trips to the US (6 weeks in L.A. and 2 months in NYC) it was very easy to talk to people and make friends. Americans are generally very welcoming and will often strike up conversations with total strangers. Much more so than here in Australia where people can sometimes a bit aloof. For example, when I was in NYC - I went not knowing a single soul - and I knew my roommate for a total of one week and she invited me to spend Christmas with her family. Americans are just very hospitable like that from my experience. So don't stress too much. :)

Hi it seems your husband already got his GC. Why did he play again?

Is it because you were unsure about the CN?
When DV 2016 opened in October we were at the very beginning of processing our 2015 win and although we had an awesome CN, I wanted to be extra extra safe on the off chance that we did not get our green cards. So I played again without telling my husband because he felt certain we'd get the green cards & thought playing again with such low CN & a clear cut case was ridiculous.
In other words it's all my fault LOL :rolleyes::D, I did it.

It's still very early days, but do you know where abouts you would like to move to? It's definitely easy to meet people in places like NYC that are so dense. But regardless of where you go - I found on both my trips to the US (6 weeks in L.A. and 2 months in NYC) it was very easy to talk to people and make friends. Americans are generally very welcoming and will often strike up conversations with total strangers. Much more so than here in Australia where people can sometimes a bit aloof. For example, when I was in NYC - I went not knowing a single soul - and I knew my roommate for a total of one week and she invited me to spend Christmas with her family. Americans are just very hospitable like that from my experience. So don't stress too much. :)

That is really great to hear! Thanks @violetion and yeah I'm thinking New York would be a good place to start! but at this point I was just thinking about when I get to filling in the DS260 and the US address to have Greencard sent? and I understand that it can be changes but as of now I would have no idea what to put.

When DV 2016 opened in October we were at the very beginning of processing our 2015 win and although we had an awesome CN, I wanted to be extra extra safe on the off chance that we did not get our green cards. So I played again without telling my husband because he thought playing again with such a low CN was ridiculous. In other words it's all my fault LOL :rolleyes::D
how did you get his photo. did you use the same photo. doesn't it have to be 6 months old

Not all people in NYC are like that. It depends upon who you are, how you look, who you know, how you present yourself etc. But yeah generally NYC is very varied and has a great community. Just don't misuse or abuse the hospitality extended towards yourself, be the same towards others as well and you should be fine.

Another thing, moving to places like NYC and LA are expensive. So map out your plans beforehand.

When DV 2016 opened in October we were at the very beginning of processing our 2015 win and although we had an awesome CN, I wanted to be extra extra safe on the off chance that we did not get our green cards. So I played again without telling my husband because he felt certain we'd get the green cards & thought playing again with such low CN & a clear cut case was ridiculous.
In other words it's all my fault LOL :rolleyes::D, I did it.
Well I guess anyone would have done the same, the GN that he won this time is probably wasted now and could have gone to the others. Does the DoS consider such twin winnings?

I wonder how many people like you plan the DV lottery again even after winning.

That is really great to hear! Thanks @violetion and yeah I'm thinking New York would be a good place to start! but at this point I was just thinking about when I get to filling in the DS260 and the US address to have Greencard sent? and I understand that it can be changes but as of now I would have no idea what to put.

Ah, right! I'm not sure in that case. Probably have to leave the answer to that to one if the experts on here. :)

Not all people in NYC are like that. It depends upon who you are, how you look, who you know, how you present yourself etc. But yeah generally NYC is very varied and has a great community. Just don't misuse or abuse the hospitality extended towards yourself, be the same towards others as well and you should be fine.

Another thing, moving to places like NYC and LA are expensive. So map out your plans beforehand.

LA is much cheaper than NYC in terms of housing and food, but needing a car drives the cost up. And NYC I found costs not to be much different to Sydney... Although apartments are definitely too small for their price. :eek:

I have a bunch of questions. :)
First one is: my first daughter was born in US (3yrs ago, when we were there on F1 + H-1B) and she has her own US passport (lucky girl!); I added her on the DV2016 application as requested, but from now on, I don't have to do any paper, medical visit, payed fees... for her, right?
Second one is: do I have to rush to fill our DS-260 (besides the fact that we have to understand if we can switch from EU to AOS, and when - see the DV2016 AOS thread), or if I do it in a week more calmly nothing is going to change about the date of the interview considering our EU181xx (if we go EU, of course)?
Third one and last for now is: when could I expect to have the interview with EU 181xx? (eh eh eh :) )

Thank you in advance, Gio

LA is much cheaper than NYC in terms of housing and food, but needing a car drives the cost up. And NYC I found costs not to be much different to Sydney... Although apartments are definitely too small for their price. :eek:
It gets expensive in NYC when you pay almost 35% taxes and then sales tax on top of that....