• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2015 winners from Asia with CN 10,000+

The US law on which the DV process is based on defines the process as regional, as opposed to country based, meaning: an Asian is an Asian, is an Asian - independently from her/his country of origin. This results in the desired outcome that every participant from a given region has the same chances of success, up to an upper 7% max. country limit. It is beyond me what possibly could be "unfair" with this approach. To do what you seem to suggest, however, could be considered grossly unfair and discriminating against folks from high participation countries.

Of course you are right, and if they were Nepalese or Iranian they wouldn't have a problem with the system.
Its not some moral view of this they are taking - it's all about them personally.

Agree 100%. I'd scrap a bunch of other family visas too actuaLly and bring more skilled people in, as well as make it easier for graduates in certain subjects to remain in the U.S.
Yes, and this very argument has been put forward by several political pundits. If this would ultimately become the way forward, though, implications on managed regional US immigration patterns would be significant:
http://forums.immigration.com/threa...-links-gathered-in-one-place.22/#post-2344540

Yes, and this very argument has been put forward by several political pundits. If this would ultimately become the way forward, though, implications on managed regional US immigration patterns would be significant:
http://forums.immigration.com/threa...-links-gathered-in-one-place.22/#post-2344540

From an economic perspective, it makes sense, never mind the political pundits. Growing and educated/skilled populations are what drive growth in the long term. Countries like Australia have it right; the UK used to, too, before they decided to go all anti-immigrant and 'compensate' for EU immigrants by making it harder to get skilled migrant visas.

Well the fact that they ended up at 7650 for Asia (while the maximum number of selectees is 19***) is an indicator that something is wrong,they never ended at such number,they didn't even reach half of the selected people..no matter how you describe it, this year,mistakes has been made,which should make them reconsider some of the rules or the way they select people at the first place..
For me being AS84** (although am Sudanese and my only fault is i was born in Saudi and Saudi doesn't give citizenship,and i left long ago,so i actually should be AF),anyway being selected with this number has always been safe for the past years,so its normal for me to take this for granted,for 14 months i focused completely on preparing for US that i forgot to make other plans,cuz its really hard for me to leave and the lottery was my getaway ticket,now am stuck in here with no apparent future..having to live in a third world country really limits ur dreams alot,especially if your country is under sanctions..now tell me,is that fair?

Well, the line gets blurred when the choice has to be made between pending APs and high RoA cases, I don't think that is detrmined by the DV laws. So both ways, dreams will be shattered, and that brings back to the greatest mistake, which is the over-selection in the first place.

Since the "diversity" is based on the region(AF, EU, AS,.....), then the visa quota for each country should also be based on its according region quota rather than 7% of the world. In Accounting, 20% of shares means a significant effect. Therefore, I would limit visa quota of each country to 20% of its region if other competitors exist.
20% of 8,500 for Nepal, 20% of 8,500 for Iran, and 60% for ROA. IMHO, the true meaning of "diversity" is more matched in this way.

Can the "diversity" be achieved without dividing quota to regions? By the limit of 7% of world visa for each country, I think, it can. I really don't know why visa quota were needed to be separated to regions in the first place. (Of course, some will argue that it is by law) Can't it be regarded as a world pool? The suffering effect on ROA from Nepal and Iran can be diluted by not grouping countries into the region.

So with your 20:20:60 idea that would mean 30% of the entries would get 60% of the selectees or visas. That's just not fair is it? Everyone complaining says things like Iran and Nepal should not be given any preference. I have shown over and over they are not. They are given the same chances as every other Asia region entry, although of course Nepal and Iran actually have worse chances due to the country cap for Nepal and the country specific background checks for Iran.

So. You want to make it unfair to give preference to certain countries. Why do you think that is fair?

Well the fact that they ended up at 7650 for Asia (while the maximum number of selectees is 19***) is an indicator that something is wrong,they never ended at such number,they didn't even reach half of the selected people..no matter how you describe it, this year,mistakes has been made,which should make them reconsider some of the rules or the way they select people at the first place..
For me being AS84** (although am Sudanese and my only fault is i was born in Saudi and Saudi doesn't give citizenship,and i left long ago,so i actually should be AF),anyway being selected with this number has always been safe for the past years,so its normal for me to take this for granted,for 14 months i focused completely on preparing for US that i forgot to make other plans,cuz its really hard for me to leave and the lottery was my getaway ticket,now am stuck in here with no apparent future..having to live in a third world country really limits ur dreams alot,especially if your country is under sanctions..now tell me,is that fair?

Very sorry you missed out, but to address you last sentence, it is not the fault of the USA of where you live, and the opportunity there. So, by an accident of birth you feel your opportunity is limited. Well I would rather have been born into royalty. But I wasn't.

Very sorry you missed out, but to address you last sentence, it is not the fault of the USA of where you live, and the opportunity there. So, by an accident of birth you feel your opportunity is limited. Well I would rather have been born into royalty. But I wasn't.
No what i meant is i'd rather be selected with Africa since its my origin rather than this dilemma of Nepal and Iran APs

No what i meant is i'd rather be selected with Africa since its my origin rather than this dilemma of Nepal and Iran APs
AF as a region also reached noticeably lower CN's in DV 2015 - 50,000 vs. 81,100 LY, therefore your (theoretical) outcome might well have been the same. Not sure this is much of a consolation, yet here you are...

Well... Firstly the rules are clear, secondly if you had been able to enter as AF you may not even have been selected as the selection is done by region...

Btw Iran is also a third world country facing sanctions, so on your criteria they definitely deserve the visas...

Well... Firstly the rules are clear, secondly if you had been able to enter as AF you may not even have been selected as the selection is done by region...

Btw Iran is also a third world country facing sanctions, so on your criteria they definitely deserve the visas...
Yep, it might be a new, worthy visa category: "Diversity Visa for folks from countries under US sanctions" - DoS might actually be supportive, as this would put additional economic pressure on the government of those countries, wouldn't it? ;)

Anyway guys you know what ...it's over. You can sit here and bitch about it (if venting to the net makes you somehow feel better, seems to me it's just making you all angrier) or accept it and move on with your lives.

200_s.gif

Yep, it might be a new, worthy visa category: "Diversity Visa for folks from countries under US sanctions" - DoS might actually be supportive, as this would put additional economic pressure on the government of those countries, wouldn't it? ;)

Maybe they should bring in another eligibility category of "it's not my fault I was born in this sh*tty place and I want to choose eligibility of .... because I deserve it"

Again I'm looking forward to seeing how they will clear all those late AP from July forward. It will also be VERY interesting to see if the special procedures to quickly resolve AP will be applied to all of AS and other regions as well (This is for you Susie ;)). All of this makes me wonder why they don't clear people fast all year long, and save thousands both time and stress. And if this AP is so "crucial", how is it resolved so quickly in the end of the FY?!

Anyway guys you know what ...it's over. You can sit here and bitch about it (if venting to the net makes you somehow feel better, seems to me it's just making you all angrier) or accept it and move on with your lives.

200_s.gif
Sigh, I wish I could just forget the last 14 months, sadly easier said than done.

Again I'm looking forward to seeing how they will clear all those late AP from July forward. It will also be VERY interesting to see if the special procedures to quickly resolve AP will be applied to all of AS and other regions as well (This is for you Susie ;)). All of this makes me wonder why they don't clear people fast all year long, and save thousands both time and stress. And if this AP is so "crucial", how is it resolved so quickly in the end of the FY?!

That doesn't have to be exactly like that. First of all, about one third of Iranian cases don't go on AP at all. Then quite a high proportion of AP cases resolve in 2 to 3 months, especially with the year end push that happens for all countries.So if you say that Of the AP cases that start AP in July have a good chance to clear AP it might only be those cases in August and September that are really at risk. There was no increase in September, so that is just Iranian AP cases above 6850 that might be left out. Iran cuts off at about 8200, so that should be only 200 ish cases missing out.

Maybe. Just speculation...

Interesting. But someone has to decide what is useful, and that has previously been defined as qualified, and wanted by a company. Frankly that is a pretty good measure of "useful", and much better than someone who is highly qualified but still useless ( there are plenty of those).

Then there are others who are useful, but not qualified ( and again there are plenty of those).

Then there are those that offer other things such as artists who enrich our lives.

Or how about those who serve the community.

Or how about those that help our military, often putting their lives at risk and then can't get a visa to escape from the retribution they will face once the military have gone.

It's a never ending. Too many deserving cases...

I'll pass on artists / liberal arts graduates. America has enough unemployed artists to supply the planet.

Canada and Australia both have exactly the program I described. Here's the list of desirable professions in the Australian Skilled Visa Program