• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Hi,

Kindly can anyone explain the reason behind 6 month visa! (Heard its dependent on the vaccine!) just need the experts advice. Also has anyone ever got more than 6 months...

Hi,

Kindly can anyone explain the reason behind 6 month visa! (Heard its dependent on the vaccine!) just need the experts advice. Also has anyone ever got more than 6 months...

The "reason" is that immigrant visas ( all, not just DV) are valid for maximum six months. So no, no one ever gets more. Some people may get shorter if medicals expire early though.

Hi,

you can request for extension but your current dvvisa must be cancelled.a friend of mine dv2014 who was put on ap in February was issued with a new visa valid for 6 more months(acceptable reason)

you can request for extension but your current dvvisa must be cancelled.a friend of mine dv2014 who was put on ap in February was issued with a new visa valid for 6 more months(acceptable reason)

So, they requested for extension after they received their visa?
Is education gd enough reason?

Simon's post is confusing about being put on AP then getting an extension. It would be appreciated if simon could explain the exact circumstances.
A number of embassies have posted that whereas for ordinary immigrant visas people may cancel the original and re -apply for a new visa (the only way to extend validity because they cannot do longer than 6 months), that this provision does not apply for DV. So I think simon should be very clear about what the exact circumstances were. It would be unusual for one embassy to do something others won't.
One should also note that if you do it this way, even if they allow it you will lose your original visa number and then may find a problem if there is not another one available when you want. You would also have to pay again.
Your least risky route is go for the interview when scheduled, get the visa, activate it then you have up to a year to go back.

Simon's post is confusing about being put on AP then getting an extension. It would be appreciated if simon could explain the exact circumstances.
A number of embassies have posted that whereas for ordinary immigrant visas people may cancel the original and re -apply for a new visa (the only way to extend validity because they cannot do longer than 6 months), that this provision does not apply for DV. So I think simon should be very clear about what the exact circumstances were. It would be unusual for one embassy to do something others won't.
One should also note that if you do it this way, even if they allow it you will lose your original visa number and then may find a problem if there is not another one available when you want. You would also have to pay again.
Your least risky route is go for the interview when scheduled, get the visa, activate it then you have up to a year to go back.
I would highly regret if any one got confused by my post and I quote "you can request for extension but your current dvvisa must be cancelled.a friend of mine dv2014 who was put on AP in February was issued with a new visa valid for 6 more months(acceptable reason)"
I think one should pick the key words as highlighted:This is NOT hearsay and and I have emphasized by saying - acceptable reason-meaning -he called the embassy and they directed him to re-visit IOM for medicals and resend his passports by DHL.The story goes like this:The selectee got selected CN 2014 AF8*** but was put on AP after his EX wrote a letter to the Embassy claiming a child(I talked about this in my earlier dv 2014 posts).Now the case was resolved in July and the selectee had 3weeks before the expiry of the new VISA,He called the Embassy requesting an extension which was out-rightly granted.A new VISA was issued(valid till January 2015) and the other cancelled and he relocated in early October.Hope this explain the circumstance i talked about.Any input susie?

So, they requested for extension after they received their visa?
Is education gd enough reason?
The main reason was that 3 weeks was not enough for them to prepare,book flight and relocate:
However:
I would highly regret if any one got confused by my post and I quote "you can request for extension but your current dvvisa must be cancelled.a friend of mine dv2014 who was put on AP in February was issued with a new visa valid for 6 more months(acceptable reason)"
I think one should pick the key words as highlighted:This is NOT hearsay and and I have emphasized by saying - acceptable reason-meaning -he called the embassy and they directed him to re-visit IOM for medicals and resend his passports by DHL.The story goes like this:The selectee got selected CN 2014 AF8*** but was put on AP after his EX wrote a letter to the Embassy claiming a child(I talked about this in my earlier dv 2014 posts).Now the case was resolved in July and the selectee had 3weeks before the expiry of the new VISA,He called the Embassy requesting an extension which was out-rightly granted.A new VISA was issued(valid till January 2015) and the other cancelled and he relocated in early October.Hope this explain the circumstance i talked about.Any input susie?

I don't quite understand the story because you are saying both that he was on AP (from Feb to July) but that somehow he had a visa too which expired 3 weeks later, this is impossible...... he was either on AP or he had a visa, couldn't be both. I know you say both was happening therefore cancellation of visa, but that is impossible. So...Seems to me what happened is that he was on AP, meaning no visa was issued, his medicals were about to expire when the case was resolved so they allowed him to redo medicals to get a 6-month visa. This is a completely different situation from what the other person is asking.

I don't quite understand the story because you are saying both that he was on AP (from Feb to July) but that somehow he had a visa too which expired 3 weeks later, this is impossible...... he was either on AP or he had a visa, couldn't be both. I know you say both was happening therefore cancellation of visa, but that is impossible. So...Seems to me what happened is that he was on AP, meaning no visa was issued, his medicals were about to expire when the case was resolved so they allowed him to redo medicals to get a 6-month visa. This is a completely different situation from what the other person is asking.

Exactly.