• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 winner with wrong information on November application. Need some advice

K.Aust

Hi
I have been selected for the DV 2014 and now I'm worried that I filled out the "City of Birth" wrong on my application in November. I entered Melbourne (which is the Metropolitan area that I was born in) but I believe I was meant to enter the Town that I was born in which is Dandenong. I will need to put Dandenong on DS-230 form as it is also listed on my passport.
My question now will this stop me from getting an interview email sent from Kentucky Consular Center as they will see this as a fraudulent application. I know if I get an interview I will be able to explain my mistake to the processing officer.

Hi
I have been selected for the DV 2014 and now I'm worried that I filled out the "City of Birth" wrong on my application in November. I entered Melbourne (which is the Metropolitan area that I was born in) but I believe I was meant to enter the Town that I was born in which is Dandenong. I will need to put Dandenong on DS-230 form as it is also listed on my passport.
My question now will this stop me from getting an interview email sent from Kentucky Consular Center as they will see this as a fraudulent application. I know if I get an interview I will be able to explain my mistake to the processing officer.

It'll get flagged as a discrepancy,but it's not the end of the world, technically you were born in Melbourne, of which Dandenong is a suburb of. But yeah, you should have put Dandenong down.

Don't worry about it, just fill out the accurate information in the forms, and send them to the KCC. You'll just have to explain the mistake on the day of the interview.

Congratulations.

Thanks for the information. When someone asks me what City I'm from I always reply Melbourne, if the ask town I say Dandenong.
I just have to remember to be more accurate on official documentation.

My Passport and birth certificate has Dandenong on it. I entered Melbourne because the application said "City" of Birth. I'm hoping it would be like say you were born New York City but your birth town was Williamsburg.
Do you think there might be an issue with this?

This is Statement from Wikipedia(Which I know is not a legal statement) on Melbourne.

Melbourne /ˈmɛwbənˈ/ is the capital and most populous city in the state of Victoria, and the second most populous city in Australia.[2] The Melbourne City Centre is the hub of the greater metropolitan area and the Census statistical division—of which "Melbourne" is the common name.

Thanks for the information. When someone asks me what City I'm from I always reply Melbourne, if the ask town I say Dandenong.
I just have to remember to be more accurate on official documentation.

I know EXACTLY what you mean :) Don't worry about it, just make sure you enter the city/town that is in your birth certificate from now on. Chances are they won't even ask about it.

Let me give you a more official link, where you can do a search for city/town names and you have proof about their geographic locations:

http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/index.html

My Passport and birth certificate has Dandenong on it. I entered Melbourne because the application said "City" of Birth. I'm hoping it would be like say you were born New York City but your birth town was Williamsburg.
Do you think there might be an issue with this?

I doubt they'd have a problem with this. Dandenong's a suburb of Melbourne. If they ask, just say what you said here, how you reckoned they wanted the city and not some obscure-sounding suburb.

Aussie cities have so many suburbs. Took me years to know where about 75% of Perth's suburbs were. And they keep adding new ones all the time!

Good luck!