• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 winner, Aname issue..help!!!

Myaxxp

Registered Users (C)
I am a dv 2014 winner from South America (cn SA000005xx). I will not use my correct name here but see below as I try to explain my situation.

In dv entrant application they asked for your 'family name'. I am married and use the surname Thomas-John, however my husband and son carry the surname John. I entered 'John' in the 'family name' field when filling entrant application for myself. So my Notification Letter has my name as Sarah (first) Fay (second) John (family or last name) or Sarah Fay John. Thomas, my maiden name was included under the field 'maiden name'.

On my My passport my name is Sarah Fay Thomas-John.

In my ds230 application I used again John as my family name (trying to keep consistent)....I included Thomas under 'other names/maiden name'.....For the part which ask for your full name I entered 'Sarah Fay Thomas John'

In the dsp 122 application I entered Thomas-John as my last name, Sarah first name and F for Middle Initial.

I signed Sarah Thomas-John.

I am not hiding any names. I got confused with the 'family name' part. My family name is 'John'. I just kept my maiden name. Should I have included Thomas-John as my family name instead of just John?

I don't know if this will be an issue. Will I be disqualified? Please anyone from experience, can you help. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be okay, the name issue you have will not disqualify you, so stop stressing yourself.

I am a dv 2014 winner from South America (cn SA000005xx). I will not use my correct name here but see below as I try to explain my situation.

In dv entrant application they asked for your 'family name'. I am married and use the surname Thomas-John, however my husband and son carry the surname John. I entered 'John' in the 'family name' field when filling entrant application for myself. So my Notification Letter has my name as Sarah (first) Fay (second) John (family or last name) or Sarah Fay John. Thomas, my maiden name was included under the field 'maiden name'.

On my My passport my name is Sarah Fay Thomas-John.

In my ds230 application I used again John as my family name (trying to keep consistent)....I included Thomas under 'other names/maiden name'.....For the part which ask for your full name I entered 'Sarah Fay Thomas John'

In the dsp 122 application I entered Thomas-John as my last name, Sarah first name and F for Middle Initial.

I signed Sarah Thomas-John.

I am not hiding any names. I got confused with the 'family name' part. My family name is 'John'. I just kept my maiden name. Should I have included Thomas-John as my family name instead of just John?

I don't know if this will be an issue. Will I be disqualified? Please anyone from experience, can you help. Thanks

My situation is similar. My wife wife is Spanish and in that country they take one name (the first surname) from each parent. The kids never have the same name as the parents, and the women don't change their names on marriage. The whole thing is a mess - and my wife has never dealt with it with a more standard approach. So on her passport she has her maiden name. Our wedding cert has both her maiden and married names. She is known under her married name.

For our eDV and 122/230 forms we have used her maiden name as that matches the passport. We have listed the married name as another name she uses on the 122 form.

Just out of interest - here is how it works.

Let's say "Pablo Portes Cruz" marries "Maria Alvarez Montoya".
Maria will never change her name and the children would have the surname of "Portes Alvarez".
Fun huh.

Is a post graduate diploma considered as advanced degree in the US orbetter to write only University degree

Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a post graduate diploma considered as advanced degree in the US orbetter to write only University degree

Thanx

I will suggest you simply indicate your under grad degree. To the best of my knowledge, when they talk about post grad Diplomas in the US, they're referring to a Program at the "Masters level"

A bachelors level degree is above the level required, so list the degree, but go armed with the diploma also.