• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2014 will cut?

No cuts to DV-2014 - but the new law may affect DV-2015

Family-based and diversity lottery visas would be reduced and replaced by more merit-based visas, including immigrant entrepreneur visas
http://www.nsba.biz/?p=5699

New green card category based on merit factors (may be replacing the lottery)
http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/2013/04/senate-bill-to-be-introduced-on-tuesday.html

DV-2014 will not be affected. The selection process has already been completed, most likely, since the announcement of winners is in two weeks. No announcement of a DV-2015 has been made yet, has it?

Going forward, I would anticipate that the DV Lottery, as we know it, will probably be discontinued, or numbers would be drastically reduced, should the "Gang of Eight" plan be accepted. We can only hope that some vestige of the DV Lottery will remain for those who do not fit any of the other "skilled worker" or "family" categories.

DV-2014 will not be affected. The selection process has already been completed, most likely, since the announcement of winners is in two weeks. No announcement of a DV-2015 has been made yet, has it?

Going forward, I would anticipate that the DV Lottery, as we know it, will probably be discontinued, or numbers would be drastically reduced, should the "Gang of Eight" plan be accepted. We can only hope that some vestige of the DV Lottery will remain for those who do not fit any of the other "skilled worker" or "family" categories.

???
The selection is not aleatory?

???
The selection is not aleatory?
What is meant by this - due to the fact that the results will be released next month - they have highly likely already made the selections and will be releasing results come the 1st of May.

It’s all well and good to have a discussion of the future of the DV lottery, but no one knows for sure the future of it…we can’t go saying “it will be cancelled for sure”. No body knows this and people may take opinions as facts.

Adjustments are made from time to time to any kind of law and the immigration law must change in time as well.
Take a look for example at Australia were immigration process is more complicated and takes into consideration and gives more chances to 'skilled' and better educated individuals (this doesn't mean that US process wants less educated persons but only that education was not so important thing)
Maybe DV process will change for the next years and maybe the process will require better educated and skilled individuals. Maybe the numbers will drop. But any change will make a difference for a better US and hopefully for those lucky enough to get to and live there.
Changes are not that bad. Changing the game made many dreams come true and the humanity evolve through changes

Giving a path to the US to educated people with advanced degree is not a bad thing. I find this more fair than waiting to be picked up randomly by a computer. Btw the Usa have enough of people without special skills and unemployed, but anyway the diversity program is also a nice thing because it's increase the diversity of people from around the world in the US and this good principle, that should be kept.
I thing they should just give more visas to everyone :p

are you sure about thiz... and what is your proof???

Look at this news item from today. If the bill being presented in Senate actually becomes a law then it might be terminated in its present form from 2015.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/senators-immigration-legislation-provisions/

Eliminates diversity visa program starting in 2015. Creates new merit-based visa category using point system based on family ties and work skills.

However, for this to happen it needs to pass both houses of congress and then signed by President.

This is the official outline of the bill (NOT the bill http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=44052, which more likely will be unveil tomorrow) released last night by the Senators "The Gang of 8". In page 6, it says: "The bill repeals the Diversity Visa Program. Aliens who were or are selected for diversity immigrant visas for fiscal years 2013 or 2014 will be eligible to receive them." If this bill, becomes an actual law signed by the President, this year May results will be the last ones of the DV.

Here's another article from today...

http://nbclatino.com/2013/04/16/sen...-citizenship-shift-to-employment-based-visas/

Indeed, *IF* this bill passes (and it has a LOOOOOOONNNNNNG) way to go, there will be no DV-2015 Lottery. The US will favor those with more education and skills.

I'm sorry for this. The bill fixes a lot of current problems, but it cuts out hope for those who do not have the opportunity for higher education or advanced skills.

Sukie

As my husband and I were just discussing, the proportion of DV Lottery winners and their derivatives entering the United States each year, compared with the other visa recipients, is statistically so small. I applaud them for entertaining the concept of STEM visas and increasing skilled graduate visas, but can that not be implemented ALONGSIDE the DV lottery? Sigh, and of course my degree is not a STEM field.

Will be watching this with great interest.

All the best

Q

Last edited by a moderator:
I am reading as much media as I can regarding this proposed Bill, and already the comments from the President seem to affirm his position that it needs to be put in place quickly and he will support it.

:(

Well i have been following this kind of information since 2 years, and I think that John Kerry Will support this bill and push it to be real, remember that the republican was trying to do that many times but they fail, now it is the democrats who are proposing that !

As my husband and I were just discussing, the proportion of DV Lottery winners and their derivatives entering the United States each year, compared with the other visa recipients, is statistically so small. I applaud them for entertaining the concept of STEM visas and increasing skilled graduate visas, but can that not be implemented ALONGSIDE the DV lottery? Sigh, and of course my degree is not a STEM field.

Will be watching this with great interest.

All the best

Q

Unfortunately this is how lobbying works on the capitol hill. There is a enormous lobbying effort for the illegal immigrants as well as STEM immigrants and from those who oppose it altogether. DV has no voice, so it is the easiest to eliminate without upsetting any particular group of lobbyists/voters. This article does sum up the mood of the nation but I thought the same about the gun control which was defeated early this week

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/u...ee-a-turning-tide-on-immigration.html?hp&_r=0