• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 - info about being "a public charge"

Mx_Cut

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody and congrats for the website :eek:.
My name's Mark. I filled my lottery request (DVI 2014) a few months ago, but there's one last thing I'm not sure about.

"you will be required to provide evidence that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa"

seems to be an important prerequisite.
Actually I'm working here in my country, no problems with law / payments and something like 2.000 GPB (which SHOULD increase during these months :p) in my bank account, if they want to see it.. but I have neither sponsors nor family in the US.

May it be a problem? I've already visited the U.S. once.
I'm 25 years old, a high-school degree, so I consider myself young enough to find a job in the US (I hope it :confused:) and not being a charge.

Thank you for your help :)
have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:
From my time on this forum, it seems to be Consulate-specific, and sometimes Consular Officer dependent, on whether you are asked about your financials.

I've read many people's experiences where they say they were not asked for bank statements nor were they quizzed about how they expect to not become a public charge. I'm sure the Consular Officer is trained to figure out whether an applicant will be able to support themselves in the US based on various factors: education, current employment status, etc.

I have read of some other people's interview experiences where they did have to provide proof of funds or financial support. For what reason? Who knows? But I would come prepared, just in case. There is some formula they use to figure out what amount you should have:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86991.pdf

It's very expensive starting up in a new country. I've done it myself a few times and it always costs more than you expect, especially when you have no credit record in the new country and everyone wants deposits for everything, like gas and electricity connections, etc.

If you're selected, go back through this forum and search for threads on this subject.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I has the same doubt of you Mx_Cut.
I have no sponsors nor family in the US. Unfortunatly i have no job at the moment, so i have no much money in my account, however i have a car (in my name) that i purchased in 2011, new, which had cost around 15000€ or 20000$. So I do not know if I can get a job soon, to get some money, so my doubt is if I can submit the evidence of the car to prove that i will not be public charge in the U.S.

I´m a 23years old male, and finished my master degree in july of last year. I think this will help too?

I has the same doubt of you Mx_Cut.
I have no sponsors nor family in the US. Unfortunatly i have no job at the moment, so i have no much money in my account, however i have a car (in my name) that i purchased in 2011, new, which had cost around 15000€ or 20000$. So I do not know if I can get a job soon, to get some money, so my doubt is if I can submit the evidence of the car to prove that i will not be public charge in the U.S.

I´m a 23years old male, and finished my master degree in july of last year. I think this will help too?

No idea actually.
I hope for us :)

After reading many posts, forums and data all over the net, I dont think they have a qualifying standard for 'not being a public charge' in terms of money you have in your bank account prior to the interview, bank statements or evidence of a house or any asset that you may sell in order to take the money with you and sustain yourself until getting a job
It is very clear to me that the Consular Officer is the one able to evaluate you somehow and see if you´ll be able to sustain yourself and not become a public charge after arriving in the US.
What will surely help proving you're ok is having a job in your actual country of residence and proving to the CO that your qualifications and experience will be an asset in rapidly finding a job.
It is also a good help, for what I've seen, to just act natural and see this interview as something important but normal : in any important interview , the interviewer wants to learn how valuable you are more or less and why you'll be an asset to a job, a country, a project....so if yo look in the mirror and see that you are prepared to take chances and you are confident to brake thru and go on, than everything will be ok...the CO will surely agree that you are a good asset to US and you will be able to sustain yourself and not become a public charge...
And , as of public charges, they have it covered : if you will become one in the first 5 years of living in US, you are subject to deportation anyway....

I've read many people's experiences where they say they were not asked for bank statements nor were they quizzed about how they expect to not become a public charge. I'm sure the Consular Officer is trained to figure out whether an applicant will be able to support themselves in the US based on various factors: education, current employment status, etc.

how about those with not much work experience, not really qualified or anything and only high school or a student maybe, and young without any savings, but still willing to take that chance and do their best despite everything, just as everybody else, some richer, some more qualified, or more experienced? I'm sure it's not only about the money, the material possessions or anything but the way you tend to spend them too, your lifestyle and be willing to take risks and do whatever it takes, to start from zero probably to get somewhere. it can be anywhere, not some part of 'the american dream' cause we all have our own dreams and we try to make them come true in any possible way. It's not only your qualifications and work experience but any experience in general, and how willing and capable you are to learn and improve. The COs should give a chance to everyone who really wants to live in USA without high expectations when they get there and use any reasonable means to live happily and normally. it will be hard at first but with time it will be ok. the harder you try the better. They know who they should give this chance, and there are various factors for their decision not just these strict criteria.I think. cause if so, i'm definitely out :(

how about those with not much work experience, not really qualified or anything and only high school or a student maybe, and young without any savings, but still willing to take that chance and do their best despite everything, just as everybody else, some richer, some more qualified, or more experienced? I'm sure it's not only about the money, the material possessions or anything but the way you tend to spend them too, your lifestyle and be willing to take risks and do whatever it takes, to start from zero probably to get somewhere. it can be anywhere, not some part of 'the american dream' cause we all have our own dreams and we try to make them come true in any possible way. It's not only your qualifications and work experience but any experience in general, and how willing and capable you are to learn and improve. The COs should give a chance to everyone who really wants to live in USA without high expectations when they get there and use any reasonable means to live happily and normally. it will be hard at first but with time it will be ok. the harder you try the better. They know who they should give this chance, and there are various factors for their decision not just these strict criteria.I think. cause if so, i'm definitely out :(

I don't meant to be unsympathetic. However, one of the main issues most Americans have against immigration is the pressure it creates on the social system. If you come to America, have nothing and get hit by a car, the American government and the tax paying public have to pay for you. Why should they do that?

On the other hand, yes, a visa interview "back home" is completely subjective. I was never asked for financial documents when I came here as a F1 visa student. On the other hand, I had advanced degrees, good grades and a scholarship from a really good school that partly covered my expenses. I know people who were grilled hard on their finances. I assume a similar process is done for green card applications.

I don't meant to be unsympathetic. However, one of the main issues most Americans have against immigration is the pressure it creates on the social system. If you come to America, have nothing and get hit by a car, the American government and the tax paying public have to pay for you. Why should they do that?

On the other hand, yes, a visa interview "back home" is completely subjective. I was never asked for financial documents when I came here as a F1 visa student. On the other hand, I had advanced degrees, good grades and a scholarship from a really good school that partly covered my expenses. I know people who were grilled hard on their finances. I assume a similar process is done for green card applications.

Yeah exactly. if you're an immigrant and live there than they should treat you as a part of their country. you were not an immigrant and your case is different. i was there on a J1 too that covered some medical expenses in case of accidents for the period there but I don't think the same applies to immigrants. Unless you have insurance from your job or idk how else. i really don't understand these matters but that's not what i was talking about. that is a public charge and yes as someone mentioned above you get deported and they have all the rights to do that. one should never let himself depend on the country. people immigrate there for a better life not for something worse, cause in that case i'm sure they should go back themselves without even being kicked out cause they would live better in their own country. it's a lot of risk for sure leaving everything behind and going over there, especially for families that have established some decent life at home.
I'm not saying they shouldn't ask for money it's very natural and logical that you MUST bring some sum of money, whatever you think is enough for you to start with, after that you can find whatever job as for a beginning and sometimes even people with good grades and degrees cannot find it. moreover, some of those people are reluctant of working whatever job for little money cause they're overqualified and deserve better. we all want better but not always get it and sometimes we should be ok with just enough. and if I by chance start depending on a government or someone else I better go back to my own country where I will definitely live better than being a social case, or a public charge in another country and I don't care about the american dream, earning lots of money, buying a nice house, car whatever. I can survive with less than that. what i wanted to say was something else but never mind. we all have different opinions of course and the only one that really counts here is the one of the COs :). don't get me wrong i didn't mean anything bad for anyone but was trying to say that some people can really achieve something even without academic skills. i'm not such case, but there are people like that.

Dear Mark (Mx_Cut) and other questioners,

The US definitely sends mixed messages about immigrants! I know that a lot of information is confusing!

The US does NOT want immigrants who get to the US, fail to thrive, and then have to become "a public charge" - i.e. go on welfare. Since there are so many different ways of surviving in the US, here are some ways to present facts to your Case Officer to build your case for being self-sufficient:

1. You have enough money in the bank (in your home country is fine) to support you in the United States for two years, should you not become employed right away. The US has a formula, per size of family, to estimate what the lowest liveable amount per year should be (see Vichel's post for the link). If you have that kind of liquid assets in funds that could help support you, then you should not have to worry. By "liquid", I mean money that could be transferred to the US - so automobiles and real estate are not always factored in, unless you can sell them quickly.

2. You have someone in the United States who is willing to be your "sponsor" for monetary purposes. This person guarantees to support you for up to ten years, should you need help if you cannot fund yourself.

3. You already have the promise of a job that will make you enough money to hit the income level mentioned in #1, above.

4. Your schooling and/or experience is in a field that is in high demand in the United States, and where your Case Officer assumes you will be hired with no trouble.

As others have said, it is often Consulate specific, and, unfortunately, those from lesser-developed countries might be grilled harder than people from, say, Australia, where, to my knowledge, the question is rarely asked.

Also, those of you with secondary schooling, but no university degree, may be asked to prove that you will not become a public charge, because there are still many jobs in the US where a university degree is required. It doesn't mean it is fair, but it is the truth.

For example, my partner would probably not be asked this question, because she is Australian. However, because she is retired, and 58 years old, she might be grilled as to her ability to support herself in the United States. It is VERY hard to get a job when you are close to 60 years old! Even though she was trained as a nurse, and has a Master's Degree, her age is going mean she might face additional scrutiny (and, of course, she has to be selected first!!!).

So think about how you will answer this question when your Case Officer asks it. If you have a good job in your home country, and you believe you can get a similar job in the US, then that will probably be sufficient. If you have some savings, that will be helpful. If you are young, and relatively unskilled, then, if you can, you might want to line up a sponsor, if you can.

If not, then gain as many current skills as possible, and practice your "speech" for when this question is asked in your interview.

Best of luck to you all! And to my partner, too!

:/ i don't know. let's just see what happens. This was my first time applying for the GC and didn't even mean to, it happened by chance and was selected in October not thinking much about it cause i kind of disappointed in may when i read HAS NOT BEEN SELECTED but didn't expect much anyway. and now look, i have the chance to live there. I am so happy for that. I always loved America, the land, the people, the diversity in it, the different lifestyle, the houses, so many things. I feel happy when there, as if it's my home. so when you really love something you do everything possible to make it happen. if you have the opportunity first of course. i have friends and family there, my father will help me about the finances for the first months too, so I think I'll be ok. i was talking about a lot of other people too who are in the same situation i described before. I have read many posts from people like that, and I am one of them too. They are scared about the results but if they are willing to risk and are confident and can rely on themselves they should be given the chance for a live in USA. And I have read of so many people too that have gone there with very little but today live a normal life, just cause they never stopped fighting and have tried hard enough.

Like any other user in this forum , I will not want to be understood like unsympathetic and all but US, like any other country in the world, will first of all analyze every possibilities that one have and will try to eliminate from their immigration programs all those people that may become public charges. Citizens of any giving country are not willing to pay taxes to the State Depp. that will be used to accommodate immigrants from other countries. They are putting a lot of pressure on the State Depp. for any public charge persons because that money is used for accommodating someone instead of being used to further develop schools or hospitals or infrastructures.

Like any other user in this forum , I will not want to be understood like unsympathetic and all but US, like any other country in the world, will first of all analyze every possibilities that one have and will try to eliminate from their immigration programs all those people that may become public charges. Citizens of any giving country are not willing to pay taxes to the State Depp. that will be used to accommodate immigrants from other countries. They are putting a lot of pressure on the State Depp. for any public charge persons because that money is used for accommodating someone instead of being used to further develop schools or hospitals or infrastructures.

I completely understand what you are saying. And I agree with it.
I think we all have dreams, but it is understandable (and fair) that "having a dream" may not be sufficient to enter the U.S.
I just hope because I truly feel I'll do my best to support myself, because I know I am a hard worker and I rarely give up on something I consider important. No doubt on this.

I completely agree with arguments like not giving up easily and trying your best to get thru...
And I hope that this reasoning will come on handy at the interview for any GC pursuer...
Best of luck Mx_Cut (btw , DV2014 is your first application to the process? Or do you have any exp on this? I'm asking because I´m not seeing any info on your signature)

I completely agree with arguments like not giving up easily and trying your best to get thru...
And I hope that this reasoning will come on handy at the interview for any GC pursuer...
Best of luck Mx_Cut (btw , DV2014 is your first application to the process? Or do you have any exp on this? I'm asking because I´m not seeing any info on your signature)

Hi alindragos.
Yep, first try :)
I know it's kinda hard but I have good feelings. Ahaha. I'll loose for sure aftering this. :mad:

:/ i don't know. let's just see what happens. This was my first time applying for the GC and didn't even mean to, it happened by chance and was selected in October not thinking much about it cause i kind of disappointed in may when i read HAS NOT BEEN SELECTED but didn't expect much anyway. and now look, i have the chance to live there. I am so happy for that. I always loved America, the land, the people, the diversity in it, the different lifestyle, the houses, so many things. I feel happy when there, as if it's my home. so when you really love something you do everything possible to make it happen. if you have the opportunity first of course. i have friends and family there, my father will help me about the finances for the first months too, so I think I'll be ok. i was talking about a lot of other people too who are in the same situation i described before. I have read many posts from people like that, and I am one of them too. They are scared about the results but if they are willing to risk and are confident and can rely on themselves they should be given the chance for a live in USA. And I have read of so many people too that have gone there with very little but today live a normal life, just cause they never stopped fighting and have tried hard enough.

Adamkiaa you spammer!
@Mx_Cut you dont have to loose hope no matter what and you should stay true and on track to pursue your dreams. Its my first time on the DV prog. as well but there are many ppl out there that tried their luck many times until winning (if winning at all)