• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

Found something in the forum for guys who are going for medical

Nairobi medicals experience reminder

Quote Originally Posted by PAPASAN View Post
Below see Njugunuts' posting some times back about his medical experience; I believe it might answer some of the questions you've posed:

" Anyway, after I was done with KCC, I called IOM on the chance that they would agree to schedule my medicals without the 2nd NL and they had no problem, they gave me a 7.30 appointment. Now, for all those doing their medicals in Nairobi, take note that the IOM at which the medicals are done is the one on 4th Ngong Avenue, a blue gate just after AAR. This is because when I called to make an appointment, they didn't tell me which IOM this was and so I went to Nairobi Hospital.

I showed up at IOM 4th Ngong Avenue, just after AAR at 7.50am (I think most appointments are around this time and the earlier you go the sooner you leave the place). At the gate, the security guys make sure you are on the list for the day. You then take a seat in the reception area and hand in your passport. The ladies there make a copy of it, then send you for a counseling session where some guy lets you know what tests they'll carry out,how long they will take etc. They check mainly for Syphilis, TB and Hepatitis B though they also do other baseline tests e.g blood sugar. After the counseling session you go pick up your passport and copy, and go the lab where they take an instant photo of you, sign the medical exam forms, hand in 1 passport photo and then proceed for bleeding. You then go and pay for the medical exam.

The exam itself costs 138 USD so depending on the exchange rate for the month which they set, you pay the equivalent in Ksh. The exchange rate for December is 80.3 so I paid Ksh. 11,081. You can pay in dollars if you want but it attracts a 5 USD surcharge since all their accounts are in Ksh.

You then enter an IOM van and are ferried to Nairobi Hospital IOM where you hand in your forms, are X-Rayed (ladies, wear pants not dresses or you will have to completely disrobe and wear the open-back hospital gowns) and then ferried back to 4th Ngong. Once you are back, you then proceed for the physical where a nurse checks your height, weight, vision, blood pressure and pulse. You hand in the 2nd passport photo here. You are then sent to the doctor's where he/she asks about your past medical, surgical and hospitalization history. You are then sent to strip down to your underwear. She checks your ears,teeth and asks you to breath in and out deeply as she listens to your breath and heart sounds. From here I guess its gender specific: because she will feel your breasts, both male and female, and general look and touch at the rest of your body as you lie down, straight to the toes (she doesn't look at sehemu nyeti [Smilie] , just asks if everything is OK there). Females, she will check the back of your legs for varicose veins as you face the wall, and for everyone she will check to see if your spine is straight.

After the exam she fills in the required immunizations which will vary depending on whether you are pregnant (females), having had chickenpox in the past and your age. Kids get quite a number of shots so for those with young ones (below 12), remember to carry their immunization cards to avoid traumatizing the kids with unnecessary shots coz without the cards, they will have to be repeated. I got three shots: Dultavax (32 USD), MMR (26 USD)and Varicella (54 USD and quite painful!). The pregnant ones don't get the first one and the ones who have had chicken pox don't get the last one. You can therefore calculate approximately how much you need by multiplying by the ones you're likely to need by 80.3. You then go and pay for the vaccinations and receive them. I was done with this by 1.30pm.

After that you are sent home to go and wait for the results. IF there is a problem, they call you the next day so you can come and see the doctor and discuss treatment options etc. and the way forward. IF you don't get any call in the morning, you are fine. I couldn't be able to go the next day to pick up my results so I begged and pleaded for an expedite so I left with my results at 5.10pm (quite a long wait, had to wait for the doctor to finish seeing everyone so she could sign my report). I was given a big envelope with my X-Ray (don't carry this to the interview, but carry it in your hand luggage when emigrating), Vaccination card copy (make a copy of this, carry to the embassy in case they need it, carry in hand luggage and keep safe coz in the States, it'll determine health insurance premiums) and a SEALED medical report (don't attempt to unseal unless you want to pay another 138 USD). They then bid you goodbye and all the best in your interview!

That was my day. Met a few people who were doing their medicals for DV, most seemed to be family sponsored migrants. One guy was doing his medicals for an interview next week on Tuesday, and I thought that was too close. I suggest you do your medicals as soon as possible, since they last for 6 months anyway, coz in-case there is a problem e.g TB which takes 6 months treatment and 2 more months observation, you may not be able to apply for your visa within the DV window. Anyway, the incidence of TB among people without HIV is not high so you shouldn't panic, but those who are positive should do it quickly so that if they have TB they can be treated and still apply. I was freaking out about the TB test coz I work in a HIV and TB clinic, but turns out mungu amenichunga. Amen!

In summary:
1. Get to your interview on time to avoid wasting the whole day there.
2. Carry immunization records where available, especially for children.
3. Carry about Ksh. 21,000 for the whole process (I spent Ksh. 20,075). A little more is better in-case of any eventualities.
4. There is a cafeteria on the premises so you can carry some little money for lunch and/or snacks, especially those with kids.
5. Make sure your passport photos (2) conform to the standards. Those with bad photos were sent to re-take them and wasted more time and money. They should be on a white background with a really big face in them (about half the photo)
6. Don't forget your passport.
7. Say a big prayer and wish for all the best.

Hope you have all learnt something from this. @ Kamauz, go right ahead and schedule your medicals, with or without the 2nd NL. Just carry your 1st NL so they can confirm your case number.

Applied for police clearance on Wednesday 8th and the process is quite straight forward: go to CID headquarters on Kiambu Road, follow the signs to the office (it's on the right). Pay Ksh. 1,000 at a window at the entrance and produce your national ID. Get a copy of the receipt and your ID inside the office @10 bob. Get the original receipt and ID copy stapled to some form, fill in your name and ID number and wait to be called for printing. After printing, get your form and copy of receipt signed and stamped. The certificate is ready in 2 weeks. Don't detach the printing records from the certificate when handing it in to the embassy or it is invalid."

Today's devotion
“Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.” – Jer. 33 v 3

Nickelly, if the physical was not done, then they will do it when you go for the result. Otherwise, no more blood tests. By the way, did you do the medicals for two consecutive days or only one day then told to come back on thursday? If you did it only for one day then you will complete the medical on thursday day with the physicals.

Nickelly, if the physical was not done, then they will do it when you go for the result. Otherwise, no more blood tests. By the way, did you do the medicals for two consecutive days or only one day then told to come back on thursday? If you did it only for one day then you will complete the medical on thursday day with the physicals.

The medicals were done for one day then I will be back on Thursday:(

APPRECIATION

My AP process completed thanks to Allah.
I would like to express my appreciation and gratitude to everyone of you for all the good job you have done such as advices, encouraging, supporting info. Motivation, Etc... that you lifted me HIGH in spirit i am so thankful . And special thanks goes to Makiki, obeyz, gabam, ash 2013 ,dubai_1 ...list is long ..may God bless you abundantly and protect you always . May God grant you achieve all your goals.

Dont forget to encourage those are still on AP,at least you have had the experience.

Worried Again

After receiving our Visas we realised that my hubby's date of birth was wrongly written so we had to return his visa back to the Consulate Office. It got there than they called him and told him to send his yellow envelope he sent it than after 3 days he was called and was instructed to send all beneficiaries passports and the yellow envelopes as well. It is now more than a week we havent heard from them nor have we received any email about documents on transit.

We are back to squire one, with so many questions why havent they sent our documents back might they change our status???? We are having sleepless nights so far. When you call the office you only listen to machines and follow instructions fo 6 minutes without getting help.

What do i do?

After receiving our Visas we realised that my hubby's date of birth was wrongly written so we had to return his visa back to the Consulate Office. It got there than they called him and told him to send his yellow envelope he sent it than after 3 days he was called and was instructed to send all beneficiaries passports and the yellow envelopes as well. It is now more than a week we havent heard from them nor have we received any email about documents on transit.

We are back to squire one, with so many questions why havent they sent our documents back might they change our status???? We are having sleepless nights so far. When you call the office you only listen to machines and follow instructions fo 6 minutes without getting help.

What do i do?

I would urge you to be patient. Everything is ok and they might be wanting to verify that all others are ok. I have never heard of visa cancellation after being issued. Everything is ok. Be blessed.

helloo mates,am dv2013AF00083***veryhigh case number.am hoping for the best.hope the electrol process here in our country kenya wont slow everythn making it difficult for us selectees wit hi case numbers.all the best to all
dv winners :)

..........................................................................................true
I would urge you to be patient. Everything is ok and they might be wanting to verify that all others are ok. I have never heard of visa cancellation after being issued. Everything is ok. Be blessed.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont give up on God. send them an email to enquire

What do i do?

twakupa shukrani Baba Mungu kwa wema haya ume tenda!
My interview was scheduled for 8.00am i was there @ 6.30 which was early but its good , they dont allow you in until 30mins to your time.
it wasnt as cold, i had a running stomach..:) for some reason my stomach started aching
We were searched at the gate as we entered the compound ( make sure you have your appointment letter and passport out)

o the second entrance , a lady confirms your appointment again , you queue not for long the the last security check ( all phones off), you leave your phone here and given a tag.

finally you walk along mowed grass to the main entrance, a lady takes your ppassport and appointment letter, at this point you are give a number mine was C423 :) you are made to wait outside until your no is called. give you original documents for scrutiny make payments and wait..if you have forged documents this is the moment you should start running away..

finally i was called to window 9 am lucky coz most guyz goin to window10 were either denied or put on AP(ni mzungu ako hapo)
i was interviewed by a black lady and from the accent i realized she is Kenyan..she had a serious face but she knows her job too well..
the interview went like this..

CO: raise your hand ... do you swear to tell the truth n ..nothing but the truth?
Papa: Yes
now at this moment she started typing .................................at this point i felt i had it already...and relaxed no questions for close to 2 mins
CO: are you single
papa: yes
CO: Any kids ?
Papa: YEs i have a son with my ex
CO: DO you support your child ..
Papa: Yes
co: his name please
Papa: blabla....
co: thats very impressive American government loves children
(guys if you have a child please and you may want him to join you in the future, kinldy say the truth..a child must not suffer coz you didnt agree with the mother)
CO: heighest qualification?
Papa: bal bla
CO: where do you intend to stay
Papa: blabla
Co: your relation with host?
Co: where do you work?
Co: your designation?
CO: your visa has been granted,!
finally she gave me a piece of paper on how to pay the USCIS , she further told me i can pay when i arrive but its advisable to pay before i live

I will be around for a while now that i dont have pressure maybe travel in may!
Blessing to makiki, karendi, obeezy, neckelly, dubai-B, frank80 and all other that i haven't mentioned ...It shall be well
just speak the truth and the truth shall set you free!!

Thanx bro its just that we got the visa in 4 days time but this one is taking long but am happy because of your assurance atleast will sleep leo maze its not easy without those things in your hands :D :D also i kind of thought that they might have wanted to make all dates in our visas the same coz why could they ask for mine and kids as well. Thanx again

dont give up on God. send them an email to enquire
I will write the email thanks as well and be blessed y'all

Last edited by a moderator:
helloo mates,am dv2013AF00083***veryhigh case number.am hoping for the best.hope the electrol process here in our country kenya wont slow everythn making it difficult for us selectees wit hi case numbers.all the best to all
dv winners :)
Your day shall be here soon just buy a suit called Patience and put on then WAIT the bells will ring on you :D

What do i do?
My suggestion is to call them so as to confirm if they are working on them,just to remind them,all is well just trust God ok gal.

Hope for today
The very least you can do in your life is figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof

APPRECIATION

My AP process completed thanks to Allah.
I would like to express my appreciation and gratitude to everyone of you for all the good job you have done such as advices, encouraging, supporting info. Motivation, Etc... that you lifted me HIGH in spirit i am so thankful . And special thanks goes to Makiki, obeyz, gabam, ash 2013 ,dubai_1 ...list is long ..may God bless you abundantly and protect you always . May God grant you achieve all your goals.

Wow, this is really good news. Congratulations Jimma Boy even Gabam will be fine soon. All the best in your future plans.

Karendi i looked 4 u yesterday i dint c u what happened?

Wah my dear, am about to post my medical experience, I also looked for you; what time was your appointment coz mine was at 7:30 a.m.
I also looked for you and wapi??
Hope you are well though.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the forumites once again..on this day the lord favoured me again and granted me a visa..as short interview indeed..i will post my full experience in a while..DONT PANIC ..and RELAX that s the secret

For the Aptieth time, CONGRATULATIONS Papa. So proud of you!!