• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 - AOS - step by step

Hello All!.

This thread has been quiet lately, I assume everybody is busy getting their I-485 packet ready and waiting for their CN to become current ;)

Just a little update, KCC just sent me an email acknowledging my DSP-122 form with a very nice letter outlining the next step to take (I-485, filing, etc) there is nothing new on it that applies to my case, most of it I already knew because of independent research or because of my attorney. The letter is highly personalized with our case numbers, D.O.B. and (in my case) my current address which I had to change on the DSP-122. This letter works as assurance from KCC that I am doing AOS.

Also, they sent me a form similar to the one we filed with the DOS at St. Louis, MO. It is to pay the $440 AOS fee. I have already done this, so I will not file it again.

All the Best!

Hi there Strictly_Analog! Yes, I received the email with attachments, too --- KCC must have used my email from the DV entry because I've never provided my email to them since that time! My letter did not mention by D.O.B.; rather just case number, my name, preference category, and foreign state chargeability. As you said, it outlined the next steps, and they attached the DV fee payment receipt, also.

I'm contemplating reading the "DV 2011 AOS Only" thread...but it's 222 pages! I'm sure all the info will be good and reassuring...but sooooo long! Did you read through it all?

Less than one month for you to wait! You must be getting very excited!

Hello ETL,

I stand corrected ;), D.O.B. is not on the AOS letter.

I am starting to sound like an IT guy with all those acronyms....

In all seriousness. I did read through several pages of the AOS 2011 thread. The DV system was a little bit different last year, for example they got actual notification letters (NL1) on the mail telling them that they were selected. Also, before they filed for AOS they got a second Notification Letter (NL2) listing the steps, besides that everything seems straightforward.

Personally, I am only reading through the AOS 2011 thread to get an idea of processing times (about 90% of the cases I've read took between 2-4 months). Some others take 5-6 months because of name checks or because the field office has to many interviews booked. The longest case I saw off the top of my head was a F-1 student that became current in October, but only received his GC in June because he forgot to put his last I-20 on the I-485 package and that delayed his processing time. I will hunt down the case and post if if I find it. That is something to keep in mind for all of us that are on F-1 status.

Also, it is a good idea to read through the interview experiences. 99% of the ones I have read are very smooth as long as you bring all the documents to the interview. It seems that people that are served by the Detroit field office DO NOT get an interview letter, their case status goes from "Biometrics" to "Card Production" directly!. They are so lucky :). I live in Florida though, so I will most likely have a face to face interview.

The 1% of interviews that do not go smoothly are either because:

A) The selectee did not bring all the documents and they are rescheduled (a college student actually forgot to bring his transcripts for the current semester and they rescheduled him because of that).

B) The interviewing officer had very little knowledge of the DV Category (An officer actually told a selectee that he needed a job offer in order to get his visa and took an hour to find from a superior that this was not the case).

C) USCIS mix-ups. Only one or two cases like this. One guy had an interview at 10:00 am and they made him wait till 2:00 pm. When he stepped to the counter to inquire what was going on they found out that his interview WAS NOT listed on the day's schedule. They took him to a room interviewed him in 10 minutes and approved his case.

What can be learned from this is very simple. First, BE PREPARED. Have copies of ALL the documents that you have submitted. I personally have an expanding folder where I have copies of EVERY document that pertains to me. I take it with me every time I have to run an errand (DMV, renewing car insurance, switching schools, etc). I can not tell you how much time it has saved me because of not having to go home to look for a missing piece of paper.

Second, DON'T BE SHY. specially when it comes to your interview. If you feel a notice of action is taking to long, drop USCIS an email or call the customer service line. Familiarize yourself with every step of the DV process and be ready to correct your attorney (I have a couple of times) and even the adjudicating officer in case something like B) above happens.

We cannot control all the things that will happen along the way, but we definitely can control how we react to them and how well prepared we are to face them.

All the Best

I got an email from KCC about AOS confirmation too. It actually took them less than 10 days to issue it after I sent the DSP-122. I'll include it in the AOS package but from waht I understand, it doesn't really mean much and is not required. The email also had a document about payment, which I understand is a reminder to pay $440 if you haven't yet.

EighthTimeLucky - I read through a lot of the AOS 2011 topic when I was in panic over my DPS-122. Honestly, it didn't give me too much new information but confirmed what I already know. Overall, I agree that it's very important to understand the process, know what is supposed to happen when, and to call USCIS whenever you suspect any delay or a problem.

tem_2012- sorry I personally don't know the answer to your question but if I were to guess, then running out of quota seems unlikely (I haven't heard of it) since A LOT of people who get selected don't end up applying for their Green Cards.

I do have a question: I-485 and as far as I remember EAD and AP application forms ask for your A#. Per immigration, lawyer I should state n/a since being on a non-immigration visa, I don't have an A#. Is this what you guys/girls are doing too?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a question: I-485 and as far as I remember EAD and AP application forms ask for your A#. Per immigration, lawyer I should state n/a since being on a non-immigration visa, I don't have an A#. Is this what you guys/girls are doing too?
Since you are an H-1B visa holder, you actually do have an A#. I'm not sure where you can find it, but F-1 holders on OPT can find theirs on the EAD card. F-1 holders still in school or never applied for CPT/OPT do not have an A#. H-1B holders do, for sure.

Since you are an H-1B visa holder, you actually do have an A#. I'm not sure where you can find it, but F-1 holders on OPT can find theirs on the EAD card. F-1 holders still in school or never applied for CPT/OPT do not have an A#. H-1B holders do, for sure.
This is interesting. I checked with former H-1B holders at my company who filed I-485s based on employment, and their forms always said n/a for A#. I am confused now :confused:

This is interesting. I checked with former H-1B holders at my company who filed I-485s based on employment, and their forms always said n/a for A#. I am confused now :confused:

Hello Waterfall123,

Have you ever had an EAD card?, if the answer is yes, then your Alien number should be on it. I did OPT once a long time ago and that's the Alien number I am using on all my forms.

Did you get any receipt back from USCIS when your H1B was approved?, read through them and check if they have a field labeled as A-number, if you are not sure I would give USCIS a call.

Good Luck

Thanks all. So, I've done my research on the A# (talked to 2 immigration lawyers, asked forums and called USCIS). The conclusion is that A# is individual's number assigned by USCIS. They assign them only for EAD and for Green Card cases. H-1B filings don't generate A#s. If EAD was while school, then it's a temporary A# just for that case, but I guess it'd good to list it if you haev it and that's the only A# you have. For me I also have a second A# issued when my I-140 was approved and that's supposed to be a more permanent one, so I am listing it in the paperwork.

AOS feedback

Thank you guys for heating up this wonderful thread and lots of good questions and answers.

To my friends who received their AOS confirmation from KCC:

If I want to travel outside of US before my CN becomes current (and my visa was single-entry) do I still need to go to the consulate/embassy to get a new visa to enter to US or with this confirmation of AOS, I can travel and come back? (Or maybe I need to get advance parole??)

Many thanks,
Nimash

To Nimash -AOS confirmation letter from KCC does NOT in any way substitute a visa or any travel document. If you travel before your submit your I-485, you msut have a visa to get back into the US. If you want to travel after filing your I-485, you have to wait until you at least receive Reciept Notice and travel on a valid visa (this may delay Green Card processing if they send you fingerprinting notice for when you are away), or if you don't have a visa, you have to wait until you get your AP. I would wait until AP.

Hey guys,

I paid the $440 fee, and I only sent in the DS-122. I haven't received my AOS confirmation letter / email which I think is strange.

Anyway, I didn't send in forms DS-230. Some things have changed, and I'm actually now considering switching to CP. Anybody here know how to do that? Should I just call them and then submit the remaining forms (DS-230)?

Would be great if anyone has an idea about this...

Thanks!!

Changing to CP

Hey guys,

I paid the $440 fee, and I only sent in the DS-122. I haven't received my AOS confirmation letter / email which I think is strange.

Anyway, I didn't send in forms DS-230. Some things have changed, and I'm actually now considering switching to CP. Anybody here know how to do that? Should I just call them and then submit the remaining forms (DS-230)?

Would be great if anyone has an idea about this...

Thanks!!

Hello Ocean3,

In the last email that I exchanged with the KCC people about my case they mentioned this:

"The adjustment of status fee to the Department of State has been paid or indications on your DSP 122 show that you wanted to adjust your status in the US. The payment of the adjustment of status fee indicates to KCC that you are residing in the US and wish to process your case at the CIS. As a result, KCC did not continue the processing your case. To continue this case to consulate processing, please notify KCC with your request."

What I take from this is that if you want to switch to CP you should contact KCC as soon as possible, this way the will send your case file to the U.S. Embassy at your country of chargeability. Call them up first thing monday morning and get it cleared out. Good Luck!.

Regards,

Hello Ocean3,

In the last email that I exchanged with the KCC people about my case they mentioned this:

"The adjustment of status fee to the Department of State has been paid or indications on your DSP 122 show that you wanted to adjust your status in the US. The payment of the adjustment of status fee indicates to KCC that you are residing in the US and wish to process your case at the CIS. As a result, KCC did not continue the processing your case. To continue this case to consulate processing, please notify KCC with your request."

What I take from this is that if you want to switch to CP you should contact KCC as soon as possible, this way the will send your case file to the U.S. Embassy at your country of chargeability. Call them up first thing monday morning and get it cleared out. Good Luck!.

Regards,

Thanks!! Yes, I called them and they said to send them email requesting the change. I'm still not quite sure if I'm going to switch to CP, but at least I now know how to do it. Again, thanks for your response!!

Thanks!! Yes, I called them and they said to send them email requesting the change. I'm still not quite sure if I'm going to switch to CP, but at least I now know how to do it. Again, thanks for your response!!

No problem!, I wish you the best in whichever route you choose. Now....If October 15th could just get here sooner I'd be much happier. I can't wait to see the December Visa Bulletin :)

AOS on its way

Thanks a lot! :D
The information posted in this forum has helped me a lot, and is still helping in this process.
I just sent my AOS today. I am so exited that I wanted to share this with you!!

Also want to share a couple of tip I came across with, in other threads in this forums that could help others:
- Translation could be made by ourselves, we don't have to pay for it. (http;//www;travel;state.gov/visa/visa_4760.html)
- if you have a valid H1B when traveling, you don't need to fill Form I-131 (http;//www;uscis;gov/files/form/i-131instr.pdf first page)* please change ; by : or .

Thanks and good luck to everybody

From AOS to CP

Hope everyone is doing well.
Ocean 3 - did you decide if you are going to to CP or AOS? I filed my AOS on 10/3 but I am now considering switching to CP. I have a green card (I-140) in the works through employment a few years ago and it seems to be delaying things now becuase they need to consolidate the file, they send my case to Texas Service Center becuase that's where employment-based GC's are processed (instead of National Benefits Center where DV cases go)....so it got a little messy. I know they eventually will figure it out and timing-wise it may be the same as CP at this point, but I am having a difficult time dealing with the uncertainty of AOS process.

KCC said they can switch it to CP within 2 weeks and my interview would be in about January if I switch now. Does anyone know if I woudl need to withdraw the already filed I-485? If so, at what point and how long does it make. Have anyone heard of any problems with the CP route? Any thoughts woudl be appreciated. :)

How is everyone going?
Today I received I-797C NOA by Mail, have anyone going to do bio-metrics and/or interview already?

side question: what should I do to activate my forum signature? in order to show my progress

Best
~J

Hope everyone is doing well.
Ocean 3 - did you decide if you are going to to CP or AOS? I filed my AOS on 10/3 but I am now considering switching to CP. I have a green card (I-140) in the works through employment a few years ago and it seems to be delaying things now becuase they need to consolidate the file, they send my case to Texas Service Center becuase that's where employment-based GC's are processed (instead of National Benefits Center where DV cases go)....so it got a little messy. I know they eventually will figure it out and timing-wise it may be the same as CP at this point, but I am having a difficult time dealing with the uncertainty of AOS process.

KCC said they can switch it to CP within 2 weeks and my interview would be in about January if I switch now. Does anyone know if I woudl need to withdraw the already filed I-485? If so, at what point and how long does it make. Have anyone heard of any problems with the CP route? Any thoughts woudl be appreciated. :)

Hey, sorry for the late reply. No, I decided to stick with AOS. My case number was current in October, but I had some delays so I only submitted today. It should be there tomorrow!! I'm not familiar with your circumstances, but if it's the same time-wise, you might as well stick to AOS. Maybe someone else has experience though with it being sent to the Texas Service Center?

CN Current

Great news!, I just found out my CN# will be current in January!.

My I-485 Packet has been done for a while so I am more than ready to send it in. I recall reading on this forum that you can send your packet 60 days before your CN# is actually current AS LONG as it is on the advance notification part of the visa bulletin.

Does anybody have a link to an USCIS document with this info or any firsthand experience?. It is my last month in college and I would really like to get the ball rolling on this AOS thing. Thank you in advance!

-Strictly_Analog

Great news!, I just found out my CN# will be current in January!.

My I-485 Packet has been done for a while so I am more than ready to send it in. I recall reading on this forum that you can send your packet 60 days before your CN# is actually current AS LONG as it is on the advance notification part of the visa bulletin.

Does anybody have a link to an USCIS document with this info or any firsthand experience?. It is my last month in college and I would really like to get the ball rolling on this AOS thing. Thank you in advance!

-Strictly_Analog

Hey Strictly_Analog! I was just reading through this thread, catching up on posts, and I was very pleased to read your news at the very end -- I was wondering how things were going for you! For me, the OC (Oceania) region case numbers are moving a little slow, so I am predicting to be current around March next year.

I don't have a USCIS link to the info you require, but there is some relevant comments in posts 52-54 of this thread (page 2) which I think will be helpful. I also read someone suggest including a printout of the relevant Visa Bulletin section showing the case number cutoff, and include it with your I-485. It sounds like a good idea to me.

Please keep us updated on your progress!

Cheers, and good luck!