• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 - AOS - step by step

By the way, if we file dsp-122 can we still travel abroad or apply for OPT? Is anyone notified about our intentions to change status before we file our I-485 in Chicago?

Yes, I think it is okay to travel after filing DSP-122. I need to travel out of the US in Jan 2012, which I anticipate is 1-2 month before I will submit I-485, and so I asked an immigration lawyer about it. The lawyer said it is only when we file I-485 that our F-1 will be suspended. Filing DSP-122 is optional for those doing AOS --- I don't believe your status will change in any way due to filing that form.

Hey guys,

when paying the DV fee of $440, who do I make the money order out to? U.S. Department of State, KCC, or what? And it says to note the case number on the money order. Where do I put that?

Thank you!!

That's a good question Ocean3. I am meeting with USCIS on Tuesday next week and plan to ask them this exact question. I believe the answer is "US Department of State", but I will confirm it. I believe CN can be written on front of check --- you could ask at the bank or post office where you get the money order about it.

Hey guys,

when paying the DV fee of $440, who do I make the money order out to? U.S. Department of State, KCC, or what? And it says to note the case number on the money order. Where do I put that?

Thank you!!

Hi Ocean3

You should make payment to Department of State located in St. Louis, Missouri.
Here is the link for form, where you can include your information.
travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4763.html

Hope this helps!!

Thanks guys!!

I also read some more through the AOS 2011 thread, and you make the money order out to "Department of State", and there's space to write your case number on it. I sent it today.

EighthTimeLucky,

I am also a PhD student on F1 visa. I found that if our I-485 get denied we can remain in the US legally on our F1 status. Do you have any info about this? Is it correct? Of course we can't travel abroad as we won't be able to enter US. But we can remain legally, this is my understanding at least.

trons and EighthTimeLucky,

I believe an AOS denial results in deportation. Once an AOS is denied, you no longer have any status in the US (regardless of an unexpired F-1 visa, unexpired I-20 or any other unexpired visa ) and you must leave the US within 30 days, unless you can successfully appeal the denial. Just google "AOS denial" or talk to an immigration lawyer.

It is for this reason that it is suggested that you ensure you meet all requirements to adjust status prior to filing an I-485. Once you file an I-485, it is in your best interest not to leave the US until you receive your GC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello friends,
Thank you all for the information you've shared. I have two questions:
1.My number is AS00029XXX and I'm going to apply for AOS. Do you have any estimation that when my case number for VB will be (before Xmass or after?)
2. Is it better to send 440$ before my number is current to expedite the process?

Many thanks

hello nimash,
1) no one can tell you for sure what time you will be current but according to the last 6 years of VB, ALL Asia CN became current in September. that gives you 50 days in advance + 30 days which is an equavilant of 80 days to finish the process, but that is in the worst senario. Since your CN is only AS29XXX and based on the last year, you will be able to file your I-485 on May 10th, 2012 (this is jut my guss but you may file earlier or later than that dat depending on how fast CN moves in the VB.
2) you are absolutly right. in fact some of the winners have already sent the $440. and i dont think its a good idea at all to wait till your CN become current. but again i dont understand why some will wait till they are current??? if anyone have an explanation please sahare.
Hello friends,
Thank you all for the information you've shared. I have two questions:
1.My number is AS00029XXX and I'm going to apply for AOS. Do you have any estimation that when my case number for VB will be (before Xmass or after?)
2. Is it better to send 440$ before my number is current to expedite the process?

Many thanks

$305 Fee

Hi Strictly_Analog,

The "Diversity Visa applicants" fee listed on that page ($305) is confusing to me --- I'm not sure what that is, and wonder if it is a mistake.

When submitting the I-485 we have to pay $985 (filing fee) + $85 (biometics fee). I have not read that we pay any other fees after submitting the I-485. I wonder if someone else knows what that $305 fee is related to.

Yes, good luck to us all!

Hello ETL,

Yes, that $305 fee is a mystery to me too. I just went ahead and sent the DSP-122, the bar code and the 2 photos to KCC. I also sent the $440 fee already since I am set in staying in the country for AOS.

I have contacted a lawyer that is going down to my local field office (Orlando,Florida) in Monday and putting together step by step instructions of what they require me to file. I will make sure to ask about the $305 filing fee. It seems it is a "stamping fee" like the one we paid ($140) way back when we got our F-1's, but again I am not sure.

Take Care,

2012SA000006XX
8/2004: F-1
7/15/2011: DV-2012 Selectee
7/22/2011: $440 AOS Fee sent to DOS in St. Louis,MO
7/22/2011: DSP-122, 2 Passport Photos and Barcode sent to KCC
7/24/2011: $440 AOS Fee received and signed for by T JOHNSON

Hello everybody,
reading the several answers/questions a doubt came to my mind. I have an L1B visa right now, it's going to expire in June 2013. My wife won the DV-2012 lottery, so we are going to apply for the AOS soon. Somebody here mentioned the 'suspension' of their current visa when the I-485 is filed. Do anybody know if this applies to the employment authorization that the L1B grants? Do I have to request any special authorization to keep working while waiting for the interview and later (if approved) for the green card?
thanks a lot!

AOS DS-230 for got an information

I have a question .My wife is the selectee and we are both doing AOS. We just sent the DOcs today to KCC (barcode, DSP-122(for principal aplicant, DS-230 for both) and pictures.
We just realized that in the question on DS-230 form where it asks you for previous entries we for got to put the END date of the status [from-To] as we typed the entries, we intended to hand write the (To) present. as the form only allows numbers.
Should we send anything ?

Please help

7/25/2011: $440 AOS Fee sent to DOS in St. Louis,MO
7/27/2011: DSP-122 (wife ), DS-230(Wife,Me), 2 Passport Photos and Barcode sent to KCC

Hi aosF1,

As far as I understood, when applying for AOS the ds-230 form is not required (but it wont hurt either). However in your case, as you have already sent yours, I would call KCC and ask them whether to resubmit the ds-230, in case they need it at all. Good luck!

I have a question .My wife is the selectee and we are both doing AOS. We just sent the DOcs today to KCC (barcode, DSP-122(for principal aplicant, DS-230 for both) and pictures.
We just realized that in the question on DS-230 form where it asks you for previous entries we for got to put the END date of the status [from-To] as we typed the entries, we intended to hand write the (To) present. as the form only allows numbers.
Should we send anything ?

Please help

7/25/2011: $440 AOS Fee sent to DOS in St. Louis,MO
7/27/2011: DSP-122 (wife ), DS-230(Wife,Me), 2 Passport Photos and Barcode sent to KCC

Hello eighthtimelucky
thank you for your answer, and thanks to other people too.
i decided that I'll also send those just in case, yes it wont hurt anyone.

my case number is EU301xx. in the last two years, it was available in june 2010 and july 2011. now my real concern is is I file 485 on the 1st of july 2012 (assuming it ll be available on july 2012), will there be enough time for me to get an approval before it is sept 30 2010...... I have never heard or read anyone on the forums (I've been searching for the last couple of days day and night) about this. I'm still checking the 2011 AOS forum here as there are some doing AOS during these days....

and also, this approval and the time frame depends on how fast my local immigration office in my city is working, right?
thanks again!

@gkds52: No you do not have to wait until either June or July 2012 to file your I-485 AOS application, for if you wait until that time, you most probably will not meet the September 2012 DV-IV Issuance Deadline! According to the article on the following website (and Sheela Murthy's website - look under DV AOS Processing):

Note I am a new member to this Forum, so I can post the URLs until I have made 15 posts. So simly do a google search on (1) "Winning the DV lottery; From Hassle to Happiness (Hopefully)," and the famous Immigration Attorney Sheela Murthy's website.

you are allowed by USCIS Rules, to file your I-485 up 75 days before your CN becomes current (due to the time sensitive nature of DV cases). So as soon as the date your CN will become current, is posted on the Visa Bulletin (usually given 2 months and 15 days in advance; which is the reason for the 75 days mentioned above), you should print out a copy of this Visa Bulletin, attach it to your I-485, and file your application! I hope this helps, and good luck!

Correction of Typographical Errors in Previous Reply:

@gkds52: No you do not have to wait until either June or July 2012 to file your I-485 AOS application, for if you wait until that time, you most probably will not meet the September 2012 DV-IV Issuance Deadline! According to the article on the following website (please see note below) and Sheela Murthy's website - look under DV AOS Processing:

Note: I am a new member to this Forum, so I cannot post the URLs I mentioned above until I have made 15 posts. So simply do a google search on (1) "Winning the DV lottery; From Hassle to Happiness (Hopefully)," and the famous Immigration Attorney Sheela Murthy's website, for the information quoted above.

You are allowed by USCIS DV AOS Processing Rules, to file your I-485 up 75 days before your CN becomes current (due to the time sensitive nature of DV cases). So as soon as the date your CN will become current, is posted on the Visa Bulletin (usually given 2 months and 15 days in advance; which is the reason for the 75 days mentioned above), you should print out a copy of this Visa Bulletin, attach it to your I-485, and file your application! I hope this helps, and good luck!

you are right, its very important for those with hight CN to send the AOS package once they see the CN in the "ADVANCE" notification in the VB. i guss they poblish the VB every month sometimes from 8th to 13th of each month. keep chencking and once u see the CN in the advance notice, SEND THE AOS PAKAGE ASAP.
Correction of Typographical Errors in Previous Reply:

@gkds52: No you do not have to wait until either June or July 2012 to file your I-485 AOS application, for if you wait until that time, you most probably will not meet the September 2012 DV-IV Issuance Deadline! According to the article on the following website (please see note below) and Sheela Murthy's website - look under DV AOS Processing:

Note: I am a new member to this Forum, so I cannot post the URLs I mentioned above until I have made 15 posts. So simply do a google search on (1) "Winning the DV lottery; From Hassle to Happiness (Hopefully)," and the famous Immigration Attorney Sheela Murthy's website, for the information quoted above.

You are allowed by USCIS DV AOS Processing Rules, to file your I-485 up 75 days before your CN becomes current (due to the time sensitive nature of DV cases). So as soon as the date your CN will become current, is posted on the Visa Bulletin (usually given 2 months and 15 days in advance; which is the reason for the 75 days mentioned above), you should print out a copy of this Visa Bulletin, attach it to your I-485, and file your application! I hope this helps, and good luck!

Hey,

Do any of you guys now how the local field office processing times affect the AOS time frame? I checked the processing time for the I-485 at my local field office (Santa Ana, CA), and it says "January 23, 2011" (as of May 31, 2011). Would that mean it's safe to assume the processing time is about 5 months?

I also have read here and there that DV cases are supposed to be expedited. Is that actually true or just a rumor?

Thanks for your help!!

The receipt from the department of state is here!. It is just the same printout I sent with a "paid" stamp on it and the date they processed it. Time to start assembling the I-485 Package. Good luck to all of us!.

Does anyone have a reliable link to the information about what happens to your current status in case your AOS gets denied?

KCC Package Issue.

Hello,
I am an F1 student in the US. When I was applying for the DV2012, I put a former address. I have moved since then and did not receive the package. Is there a way I can go to the sate gov website and print out the dsp-122 form to fill and send? along with the passport pictures and the selectee form (that you can print after you enter your confirmation number to view if you have been selected)?

2012AF00064XXX

Hello Diams,

There is no package. KCC no longer mails out notification letters to winners. You can only check your status online. You can go ahead and send the DSP-122, the 2 photos and the winning notification that you printed out. Good luck!.

Source: careers.state.gov /faqs/faqs-wiki/diversity-visa-lottery-scam/fraud

Hi everyone,

My wife gets selected but she has a pretty high number. We are hoping that ASIA will become current eventually and visas are still available at that time. I find this forum is extremely helpful and I want to thank everyone in advanced for all useful information you share with us. I will do the same.