• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 - AOS - step by step

Hi guys
I am F1 holder in states and wanna do AOS
DO you think my CN ( case number ) too high?

Hi gkds52,
I also contacted a lawyer who said there is no need to file DSP-122. I called KCC and they told me it is optional. I don't think anyone here is saying you must file DSP-122, they are suggesting it, but not also telling you it is optional.
See my reply to the thread immediately above.

Hello eighthtimelucky
thank you for your answer, and thanks to other people too.
i decided that I'll also send those just in case, yes it wont hurt anyone.

my case number is EU301xx. in the last two years, it was available in june 2010 and july 2011. now my real concern is is I file 485 on the 1st of july 2012 (assuming it ll be available on july 2012), will there be enough time for me to get an approval before it is sept 30 2010...... I have never heard or read anyone on the forums (I've been searching for the last couple of days day and night) about this. I'm still checking the 2011 AOS forum here as there are some doing AOS during these days....

and also, this approval and the time frame depends on how fast my local immigration office in my city is working, right?
thanks again!

$440 DV Lottery Fee Non-refundable

Hello, I got selected for further processing and have/had tons of questions.
Thanks to this thread and many others like this one, I am getting things straight slowly.
I wanted to contribute a little since you all helped me so much.

The process is so confusing but....just to be safe (and I learned from numerous websites that sending paperwork may be optional but you dont get hurt by doing it), I sent DSP-122 on 07/21/2011.

Now, my case number is 2012AS00067XXX. This is appearantly super high. I still have a hope, but cannot be too optimistic.
And this question pops up in my mind.
I know I have send $440 at some point, but do I have to do it now? Is this fee refundable?

On the "Fee for Visa Services" website http: //travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html, some visa fees are noted that they are non-refundable.
DV Lottery Fee of $440 does not have that notation.

Then I called up the KCC and they told me that $440 is non-refundable and it is better for me to wait till
1) my number becomes current, or
2) I can predict and be almost certain that my number will be current.

Be reminded that this does not apply to those with low numbers.
If you are one of the lucky ones with low case number, you may want to send it now.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

----
2012AS00067XXX
November 2010 entered DV2012
May 2011 - Not selected
07/15/2011 - Selected for further processing
07/21/2011 - Sent DSP-122, barcode page, and two photos

gkds, I guess we need a spreadsheet from the DV-2010 to check whether number as high as yours and mine (25***) can be processed on time. The office we apply might also be of significance.

Also look at what xrj shared in another topic:
as a role, regardless of ther CN, you never want your I-485 to be in Chicago Lockbox before October 1st. its just a lot of risk and almost always they will reject it. from what i learned, you can send your package once you see your CN in the advance noticfiation of the VB which is about 50 days before the month you will be cureent. but again you never want your I-485 to be their before October 1st regardless of what the advance notification in the VB says.
if you have a high CN based in your regin and last years of VB that is when sending them 50 days earlier is vital as long as you see the CN in the advance part of the VB.

hey trons are you EU25xxx too?
my field office is reno NV, and it says processing time for 485 is 4 months. but people here are writing that field offices are are aware of the deadline of dv winners so they do their job as fast as on their site. but of course these are what people say. we never know....

PPCK8, I guess I don't understand what current means. I see that in the August 2010 visa bulletin the number for Asia is 28 700 and for the next month of september it says CURRENT. Does that mean that for the rest of the DV-2010 lottery selectees with numbers say 28 700 till 70 000 there are visas available? doesn't make sense as there are only 50 000 lottery visas. And if it was right, would it meen that the 28 700 till 70 000 selectees must send their AOS to Chicago? There won't be many processed I guess. What am I missing?

Thank you EightTimeLucky,

I referred to this website:

travel. state. gov /visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#perm

Under "Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fees (non-refundable, per person)" there is a $305 charge for DV Selectees. I assume those are only payable AFTER the I-485 is filed and I am actually paying for an actual IV number.

I understand now that the only fee payable right now is the $440 that the department of state uses to run the DV program. Thank you again. It is nice to know that there are quite a few F-1's like me in this board. Best of luck to all of us!.

Hi Strictly_Analog,

The "Diversity Visa applicants" fee listed on that page ($305) is confusing to me --- I'm not sure what that is, and wonder if it is a mistake.

When submitting the I-485 we have to pay $985 (filing fee) + $85 (biometics fee). I have not read that we pay any other fees after submitting the I-485. I wonder if someone else knows what that $305 fee is related to.

Yes, good luck to us all!

Hey gkds, yes EU25***. I am in Newark NJ, with same processing times - 4 months. I am hoping that they speed up the processing towards the end at least. Anyway, I guess that the specified 4 months count from when the i-485 is received in Chicago, not sure about that. But if we can mail it after we see the advance notice in the visa bulletin we have our chances.

double checking now:
1.lets say VB june 2012 (on june 15 2012) shows in advance that july 2012 will be current for my case number. does it mean that I can mail my AOS documents on june 16th to chicaco via express mail? or do I still have to wait till july 1st?

2. i wonder how long it takes to be transferred to my local office in Reno NV,once my AOS documents arrive in Chicago.

thanks!

EighthTimeLucky,

I am also a PhD student on F1 visa. I found that if our I-485 get denied we can remain in the US legally on our F1 status. Do you have any info about this? Is it correct? Of course we can't travel abroad as we won't be able to enter US. But we can remain legally, this is my understanding at least.

Hi Strictly_Analog,

The "Diversity Visa applicants" fee listed on that page ($305) is confusing to me --- I'm not sure what that is, and wonder if it is a mistake.

When submitting the I-485 we have to pay $985 (filing fee) + $85 (biometics fee). I have not read that we pay any other fees after submitting the I-485. I wonder if someone else knows what that $305 fee is related to.

Yes, good luck to us all!

I did a little research and it seems the $305 is the "Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee", which is payable at the visa interview at US Embassy's and Consulates abroad (that is, for those doing Consular Processing (CP)). See the "Fee Payment" section of this webpage: www .travel .state .gov/visa/visa_4761.html

It seems this fee would only be payable if you are granted the green card.

It might still be necessary for us (that is, those doing AOS) to pay this fee when we have our interview at a local USCIS office. Perhaps one the 2011 threads states this.

double checking now:
1.lets say VB june 2012 (on june 15 2012) shows in advance that july 2012 will be current for my case number. does it mean that I can mail my AOS documents on june 16th to chicaco via express mail? or do I still have to wait till july 1st?

2. i wonder how long it takes to be transferred to my local office in Reno NV,once my AOS documents arrive in Chicago.

thanks!

When I spoke with an immigration lawyer he said that you can mail your AOS documents (I-485) to Chicago lockbox once your case number is shown on the Visa Bulletin (that includes being shown in the "Advance notice" section). So yes, you can mail in June if the "advance notice for July" says your case number will be current in July.

I have no idea how long it takes for documents to go from Chicago to your local office --- I'm not sure how much processing (e.g. background checks) are done in Chicago before it is sent to your local office.

EighthTimeLucky,

I am also a PhD student on F1 visa. I found that if our I-485 get denied we can remain in the US legally on our F1 status. Do you have any info about this? Is it correct? Of course we can't travel abroad as we won't be able to enter US. But we can remain legally, this is my understanding at least.

Hi trons,

I don't have information about this. It seems reasonable that we can stay to complete our studies, though: the I-20 is still valid, and I doubt the F-1 visa will be "invalidated" if AOS is not approved. If AOS is denied, but your F-1 is still valid, then you will be able to leave and re-enter the US (assuming you are still have valid I-20!). If your F-1 visa has expired, then you cannot reenter the US. Furthermore, if AOS is denied, and your F-1 visa has expired, it might be *very* difficult to get a new F-1 visa because to get an F-1 you have to show "no intention to stay in the US", and this will be very difficult to prove if you have previously submit an immigration application (I-485).

Note, the above is just my thinking on this matter: I do not have any information on this first-hand.

Hi trons,

I don't have information about this. It seems reasonable that we can stay to complete our studies, though: the I-20 is still valid, and I doubt the F-1 visa will be "invalidated" if AOS is not approved. If AOS is denied, but your F-1 is still valid, then you will be able to leave and re-enter the US (assuming you are still have valid I-20!). If your F-1 visa has expired, then you cannot reenter the US. Furthermore, if AOS is denied, and your F-1 visa has expired, it might be *very* difficult to get a new F-1 visa because to get an F-1 you have to show "no intention to stay in the US", and this will be very difficult to prove if you have previously submit an immigration application (I-485).

Note, the above is just my thinking on this matter: I do not have any information on this first-hand.

I agree with all you say except traveling and reentering after submitting the I-485 and before getting your green card. I believe one should ask his International Student Adviser in case he decides to go abroad, just to be on the safe side. I am pretty sure they won't let us in, highly probable at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

when paying the DV fee of $440, who do I make the money order out to? U.S. Department of State, KCC, or what? And it says to note the case number on the money order. Where do I put that?

Thank you!!

Written by hmuath in 2010 and what I have been told too:

Yes, once you filed adjustment of status, don't leave the country unless you get advance parole from USCIS

By the way, if we file dsp-122 can we still travel abroad or apply for OPT? Is anyone notified about our intentions to change status before we file our I-485 in Chicago?

I agree with all you say except traveling and reentering after submitting the I-485 and before getting your green card. I believe one should ask his International Student Adviser in case he decides to go abroad, just to be on the safe side. I am pretty sure they won't let us in, highly probable at least.

Hi trons,

I could have been more clear with my wording: when I said "If AOS is denied, but your F-1 is still valid..." I meant when your AOS is "case closed" --- that is, well after your submission of your I-485 and your interview, and your F-1 status is no longer "suspended". I think after that time, if your AOS was denied, I think it would be okay to travel and re-enter the US (assuming your I-20 and F-1 are valid). This is just my thinking --- would be good to check!

On a slightly different matter, yes, I agree that after submitting I-485 you should not leave the country (because of interview coming up, and because when you submit I-485 your F-1 visa is suspended, and thus you will not be allowed back into the country). If it is necessary to travel outside US after submitting I-485 you need to get "advance parole" :

"Work & Travel Authorization

Generally, when you have a pending Form I-485, it is possible for you to apply for authorization to work in the United States and to seek advance parole (advance permission to travel and be admitted to the United States upon your return). For further information, see our Work Authorization and Travel Documents webpages."