• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 Adjustment of Status Procedure F-1 Visa Holder

1a) If it's necessary to travel then make sure you have everything that you will need for visa renewal!
OR
1b) You will still be on status by staying here!!! [considering your I-20 expires in 2013]

2) Send 2 photos + ONLY DSP 122 [ for AOS ] + barcode to KCC

Take care,
MYL

Thanks! I called KCC and she said send the DSP122 (only) now and for your question about the f1 call USCIS...
Another phonecall!!! yay! haha
In the meantime I'm glad I can already send my first round of paperwork! finally.
Now I'm hoping all the rest will flowwwwww! cross your fingers! :)

1a) If it's necessary to travel then make sure you have everything that you will need for visa renewal!
OR
1b) You will still be on status by staying here!!! [considering your I-20 expires in 2013]

2) Send 2 photos + ONLY DSP 122 [ for AOS ] + barcode to KCC

Take care,
MYL

Thanks! I called KCC and she said send the DSP122 (only) now and for your question about the f1 call USCIS...
Another phonecall!!! yay! haha
In the meantime I'm glad I can already send my first round of paperwork! finally.
Now I'm hoping all the rest will flowwwwww! cross your fingers! :)

Hi guys!! congrats on your selection!!
I have been selected also and my head is going to explode with alllll the questions that I have. But maybe you can help me!
I have a F1 visa but it ends in August and I'm going back to my country to renew it as I still have 3 more year of school here. My I20 is still good until 2013 just my visa will end by the beginning of August.
Is it going to be a problem for my AOS? I will be back in the USA before August 15th so before the KCC will start the second stage of the process (sending us our appointments infos) so i think Im going to be allright but maybe you know more??

Then do I need to send both the DSP 122 and the DS 230??? I thought so but you guys seem to say that I only need to DSP122???
And if I do need the DS 230 what do I say on the box that asks about our previous visits in the USA? Do I also put my current visit on f1?

Hope you can help meeeeeeee! Thanks SO much

If I were you I would not go back to my country to renew the visa. The reason is; you will receive your green card probably in Janury or so if you maintain your I-20.

You do not need the visa to stay here, visa is needed for re-entry to the US. Do not risk anything and do not go to your country for this summer. You can visit your country next year with your green card.

If you chose to go to your country in August anyways, make sure you file for AOS after you come back here.

If you decide not to go your country just fill out the DSP-122, 2 passport photos and the barcode and mail them to KCC via registered USPS mail.

Good luck

Hi guys!

I have really complicated situation. I'm on J1 visa which will expire May 31st. I applied for change of status to F1 in April. In May I found out that I won a green card. Did someone have experience with such situations? Will they change my status to F1 so I can adjust it in October or they will deny it and I will have to go home and get it from there?

Hi guys!

I have really complicated situation. I'm on J1 visa which will expire May 31st. I applied for change of status to F1 in April. In May I found out that I won a green card. Did someone have experience with such situations? Will they change my status to F1 so I can adjust it in October or they will deny it and I will have to go home and get it from there?

You will probably get notification on your change of status in June. If they approve ( most likely they will) you can send in your dsp-122, 2 photos and the barcode to KCC , just make sure you write BSIC in question #4 on DSP-122.

Worst case scenario, they will not approve your change of status. You need to go to your home country and apply for consular processing.

You have enough time to decide.

What if I send my DS 122 now stating that I will AOS? Will I be able to adjust this process and change it to my home country in case I will be dennied? My husband also won a green card and he is waiting on his F2. It's super complicated :)

What if I send my DS 122 now stating that I will AOS? Will I be able to adjust this process and change it to my home country in case I will be dennied? My husband also won a green card and he is waiting on his F2. It's super complicated :)

If you get denied AOS ( f-1 to green card), most likely you will get denied on CP as well. It is not that complicated, just wait till you get an answer on your J-1 to F-1 change of status and then apply for F-1 to GC change of status.

No, no I'm sorry. I was asking if I will send my DS 122 now and then if I get denied with F1 can I just call them and say that I will go home and they can set up the interview in Europe.

No, no I'm sorry. I was asking if I will send my DS 122 now and then if I get denied with F1 can I just call them and say that I will go home and they can set up the interview in Europe.

I think you can do that.

But if I were you I would wait till mid june when you may hear back about status of your change of status from j1 to f1

If I were you I would not go back to my country to renew the visa. The reason is; you will receive your green card probably in Janury or so if you maintain your I-20.

You do not need the visa to stay here, visa is needed for re-entry to the US. Do not risk anything and do not go to your country for this summer. You can visit your country next year with your green card.

If you chose to go to your country in August anyways, make sure you file for AOS after you come back here.

If you decide not to go your country just fill out the DSP-122, 2 passport photos and the barcode and mail them to KCC via registered USPS mail.

Good luck

I sent my DSP-122 today along with the 2 photos and my barcode.
The thing is that I don't want to risk anything : for example what would happen if I choose not to go to my home country to renew my visa and wait for my green card :
1: what would happen if i DON'T get the green card? then I risk to also loose my f1? It's a big risk
2: When I'm going to fill my papers for the second round of paperwork the USCIS ask for my visa number and the expiration date. At this point they will see that my visa isn't valid anymore and so there is a big risk that they refuse to either adjust my status or simply refuse me the green card...

See my problem?? If anyone can help me please let me know I'm starting to be very scared...:/

I sent my DSP-122 today along with the 2 photos and my barcode.
The thing is that I don't want to risk anything : for example what would happen if I choose not to go to my home country to renew my visa and wait for my green card :
1: what would happen if i DON'T get the green card? then I risk to also loose my f1? It's a big risk
2: When I'm going to fill my papers for the second round of paperwork the USCIS ask for my visa number and the expiration date. At this point they will see that my visa isn't valid anymore and so there is a big risk that they refuse to either adjust my status or simply refuse me the green card...

See my problem?? If anyone can help me please let me know I'm starting to be very scared...:/

As you stated earlier, your I-20 is valid until 2013. You can stay in the US legally on an expired F-1 visa as long as your I-20 is current. What is more important, is what the I-94 form says (most likely D/S or duration of study, which is the date on your I-20). When you apply for AOS, I'm pretty sure you'll have to attach, among other things, a copy of your expired visa from your passport, copy of the I-94 form, and a copy of your I-20, at which point it'll become clear to them that you're in the US legally as per the date on your I-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you stated earlier, your I-20 is valid until 2013. You can stay in the US legally on an expired F-1 visa as long as your I-20 is current. What is more important, is what the I-94 form says (most likely D/S or duration of study, which is the date on your I-20). When you apply for AOS, I'm pretty sure you'll have to attach, among other things, a copy of your expired visa from your passport, copy of the I-94 form, and a copy of your I-20, at which point it'll become clear to them that you're in the US legally as per the date on your I-20.

Ok thanks so much for your answer. I'm probably going to go to my USCIS office and check with them and if it's the case then I will stay here this summer. The green card is SO much more important than anything else!!

Also now what is the next step for me concerning paperwork ? I just need to wait until KCC contacts me again? which would be somewhere in August right??
And if anything is wrong on my DSP122 (which I pray not...) do they send you everything back to refill or are you just out of the program????

Ok thanks so much for your answer. I'm probably going to go to my USCIS office and check with them and if it's the case then I will stay here this summer. The green card is SO much more important than anything else!!

Also now what is the next step for me concerning paperwork ? I just need to wait until KCC contacts me again? which would be somewhere in August right??
And if anything is wrong on my DSP122 (which I pray not...) do they send you everything back to refill or are you just out of the program????

We should receive a communication from KCC on the next steps, including when and where to pay a fee.
You can send them an email requesting confirmation that your application was received and in order, just make sure to start every email to them with your case number, full name and date of birth.

Also, don't expect the person you deal with at USCIS to be fully knowledgeable about these issues. Take their advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited by a moderator:
We should receive a communication from KCC on the next steps, including when and where to pay a fee.
You can send them an email requesting confirmation that your application was received and in order, just make sure to start every email to them with your case number, full name and date of birth.

Also, don't expect the person you deal with at USCIS to be fully knowledgeable about these issues. Take their advice with a grain of salt.

So who should I talk to? would an immigration lawyer would have these answers???

**important notice regarding the 2012 diversity lottery program**

We regret to inform you that, due to a computer programming problem, the results of the 2012 Diversity Lottery that were previously posted on this website have been voided. They were not valid and were posted in error. The results were not valid because they did not represent a fair, random selection of entrants, as required by U.S. law.

If you checked this website during the first week in May and found a notice that you had been selected for further processing or a notice that you had not been selected, that notice has been rescinded and is no longer valid.

A new selection process will be conducted based on the original entries for the 2012 program.

If you submitted a qualified entry from October 5, 2010 to November 3, 2010, your entry remains with us. It will be included in the new selection lottery. Your confirmation number to check results on this website is still valid.

We expect the results of the new selection process to be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011.

We regret any inconvenience this might have caused.

Click here to view a message from David T. Donahue, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Visa Services:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why was it necessary to invalidate the names that were selected?

U.S. law requires that Diversity Immigrant visas be made available through a strictly random process. A computer programming error resulted in a selection that was not truly random.

Since the computer programming error caused an outcome that was not random, the outcome did not meet the requirements of the law, and would have been unfair to many DV entrants.

Q: Is the 2012 Diversity Visa Program cancelled?

No. The 2012 program will continue. The computer programming error has been identified and corrected. The Department of State will run a new selection using all the qualified entries (ones received between October 5, 2010 and November 3, 2010) it received for the 2012 program.

Q: Do I have to submit a new application?

No. You may not submit a new application. We will use all qualified entries received during the October 5 to November 3, 2010 registration period.

Q: Will you open a new entry period?

New entries will not be accepted.

Q: I checked the Entry Status Check website after May 1 and it said I had been selected. Can I apply for a DV visa?

Unfortunately results previously posted on this website were not valid because the selection process was not fair or random. We will take the entries of all individuals who sent in their registration during the original October 5 to November 3, 2010 time period and run a new lottery. We regret any inconvenience or disappointment this has caused. We expect new results to be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011.

Q: How can I check the results of the new selection?

The new results should be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011. The confirmation code you received when you registered is still valid for use on the website.

Q: Was the Department of State hacked? Was my personal information at risk?

We have no evidence that this problem was caused by any intentional act. No unauthorized party accessed data related to the DV program.

This appears to be solely the result of a computer programming error.