• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 Adjustment of Status Procedure F-1 Visa Holder

hello everyone.
I know you may answer my questions before, but just to make it clear for myself.
I am in US on F1 status and being selected for GC .

-what's is the very first step that I should do?
As you mentioned, just Ds-122 + photos + my letter with barcode?
-Do i need to have a lawyer or I can go through it by myself?
-And also is there any special meaning for the barcode number since mine is "2012AS00012XXX"
-and as I red here, I didn't get it what does it mean as" my case is low " or October 5th and 6th group?
I'll appreciate if somebody answer my questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello everyone.
I know you may answer my questions before, but just to make it clear for myself.
I am in US on F1 status and being selected for GC .

-what's is the very first step that I should do?
As you mentioned, just Ds-122 + photos + my letter with barcode?
-Do i need to have a lawyer or I can go through it by myself?
-And also is there any special meaning for the barcode number since mine is "2012AS00012XXX"
-and as I red here, I didn't get it what does it mean as" my case is low " or October 5th and 6th group?
I'll appreciate if somebody answer my questions.

you don't need to spend $500-$1000 on a lawyer since the procedure is pretty simple that you can do it yourself.
just submit dsp-122, two photos, and the barcode that came with your web notice,
it looks like your case number will be available in november or december 2011.
don't worry about the october 5th or 6th group.

damn. something weird is going on with October 5th and 6th. I know that the chance they will cancel winnings is small but it exists and i'm scared. i'm playing 12 years so it's the last thing i really need.

i really, really, really hope not. :)
if it is a real website technical issue, why does it take them so long to fix it? isn't it weird?

i really, really, really hope not. :)
if it is a real website technical issue, why does it take them so long to fix it? isn't it weird?
Someone from IT, should have went in, nothwithstanding it's weekend to fix the problem. My guess is it will be fixed tommorow.

I still wonder guys, what step to be done once selected for dv 2012 for those living in US and having F1 Status with married status? I say in the website that for those in US the steps are different but everybody replied above says the same process that needs to be done by those who are overseas. Please help me guys which form should be filled and send either DS122 or I485 for adjustment of status.

First DPS 122 + 2 pics and bar code. when your number becomes current but not before October 1st you send I-485. in between you need to pay $440 per person.
There is no need in form 230, or at least it is what KCC says (but it is needed for CP).

Thank you very much for your info.
do you know what is " enclosed self-adhesive return adress label" ?
do we need to send a return adress labeled anvelope with the documents?

Thank you very much for your info.
do you know what is " enclosed self-adhesive return adress label" ?
do we need to send a return adress labeled anvelope with the documents?

don't worry about the self labeled adhesive return address label. in recent years the KCC used to mail out the winning notification along with this " self adhesive return address label" but this year you just check your win/lose status online and you will not receive any notification from KCC.

just send the documents via USPS registered mail. you don't need to include labeled envelope either.

don't worry about the self labeled adhesive return address label. in recent years the KCC used to mail out the winning notification along with this " self adhesive return address label" but this year you just check your win/lose status online and you will not receive any notification from KCC.

just send the documents via USPS registered mail. you don't need to include labeled envelope either.

thanks alot. im trying to send them today.

Hi guys!! congrats on your selection!!
I have been selected also and my head is going to explode with alllll the questions that I have. But maybe you can help me!
I have a F1 visa but it ends in August and I'm going back to my country to renew it as I still have 3 more year of school here. My I20 is still good until 2013 just my visa will end by the beginning of August.
Is it going to be a problem for my AOS? I will be back in the USA before August 15th so before the KCC will start the second stage of the process (sending us our appointments infos) so i think Im going to be allright but maybe you know more??

Then do I need to send both the DSP 122 and the DS 230??? I thought so but you guys seem to say that I only need to DSP122???
And if I do need the DS 230 what do I say on the box that asks about our previous visits in the USA? Do I also put my current visit on f1?

Hope you can help meeeeeeee! Thanks SO much

You may face a problem with renewing your visa in August. The officer at consulate will know that you're a lottery winner and may deny you a non-immigrant visa.

You don't really need to renew your visa. As long you're in status and do not want to travel outside US, you should be fine.

no, no need in envelope. it is a left over from previous years when they used to send notifications and forms to your address. no more. you will need to send self addressed envelope when you are sending $440 so that they can send you receipt back.

You may face a problem with renewing your visa in August. The officer at consulate will know that you're a lottery winner and may deny you a non-immigrant visa.

You don't really need to renew your visa. As long you're in status and do not want to travel outside US, you should be fine.

The thing is that I planned to travel outside the US in July. In order to renew my visa actually.... what should I do?

It's really up to you. You can risk and go traveling, but I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Another thing, even if you'll be able to get a F-1 stamp, USCIS later may decide that you had a "preconceived intent" (you can google it, but it technically rule applies for first 30-60 days) and scrutinize you.

However, all these are just my speculations, I do not have any real knowledge about real things :)

The thing is that I planned to travel outside the US in July. In order to renew my visa actually.... what should I do?

It's really up to you. You can risk and go traveling, but I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Another thing, even if you'll be able to get a F-1 stamp, USCIS later may decide that you had a "preconceived intent" (you can google it, but it technically rule applies for first 30-60 days) and scrutinize you.

However, all these are just my speculations, I do not have any real knowledge about real things :)

omg now I have even more questions and worries. Do you think KCC will be able to help me about this? or should I call USCIS?