• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Winners from Kenya Report Here!

Exactly one year since I posted my interview experience - seems like yesterday though. Things have greatly changed since then, from being a very green to being mwenyeji. I can say life here in the first few months range from difficult to really difficult, not an easy one but it depends on many factors: your host, how courageous you are, other kenyans around you and so on. It took me and my wife exactly 4 months to get our job, and exactly 7 months to rent our house. Am now 11 months old and am settled, actually planning to host someone in this forum in the next very few months. Found so many Kenyans here - over100 of them! We have a Kenyan Church - feels like home.
Where is akina Valvin, Wakahu, olyn, wanjeri and other 2011's, mlienda wapi? and how are you guys doing? Niko Lititz, PA.

hi all

its been i year since i came in. i'm in saint Louis, Missouri. in a summary, i got my first job 3 weeks of entry(10.50/hr),my wife got hers a week later, got my first car 4 weeks later(used to drive with a temporary permit), crashed it 3 weeks later(thank God No injuries), got another by insurance compensation a month later. switched jobs after 6 months(15.45/hr!) with health benefits and insurance. I've been in college since summer 2012 (4.0 GPA still working full time!).my wife in school too. i can say your host and the people(Kenyans) around you and your aggression goes a long way. if you rely too much on others to guide you, you may lose lots of time.

My2011,thats sound good.I wish you all the best. Iam happy that you people have kept close contact.
St Louis must be a nice place,how is life there, cheap,fair!
Iam back in Kenya with a re-entry permit,my husband wanted to come 'afanye haki'-dowry.
we've done that,but not going back till Nov or Dec 2013.
Just as my2011 says, one must be aggresive,not depend so much on friends.I did a lot of research while there.
I got lots of experience in New york. In the south where we are settled, life is very slow. but when I finally settle back, would like to enroll in school too.
Unlike where ngugimuturi is, there are no many kenyans in charleston, good bussiness though,west Africans. I made contact and do supply them with materials,hand- made bags and saddles from kenya. They really like.would really like to meet you guys God willing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys am quite impressed by the kind of love guys on this site has for each other.I love the support advices and above all I thank God and for me am waiting for DV2014 results come next year may.I have my fingers crossed n Praying to the almighty God coz He is powerful,Mighty and all things are possible with Him!!!Good luck to the ones going for interviews.

Hi Guys am quite impressed by the kind of love guys on this site has for each other.I love the support advices and above all I thank God and for me am waiting for DV2014 results come next year may.I have my fingers crossed n Praying to the almighty God coz He is powerful,Mighty and all things are possible with Him!!!Good luck to the ones going for interviews.

Keep up the spirit and you shall definitely be a winner. Be blessed.

Thank you Dubai b.Hope you are settling in well.I have a situation.Wen applyin for dv i put my passport number.Then my passport expired and i was told that On renewing i cannot get the same.Do you think this is a problem?What am i supposed to do incase i win the lottery.i gotta a friend who advised me to prepare in advance so that if am selected i be se with all documents ready.Pls Advice

Good to see your thinking way much ahead of time and keeping it optimistic. Winning starts with your mind and i guess your already a winner. Had the same situation applied with an old passport but did my interview with a renewed passport. I had taken with me all the passports but they took only the legal passport which was the renewed one. Ahh for settling in, am yet to make that final but we activated our visas in August in seattle..

Good to see your thinking way much ahead of time and keeping it optimistic. Winning starts with your mind and i guess your already a winner. Had the same situation applied with an old passport but did my interview with a renewed passport. I had taken with me all the passports but they took only the legal passport which was the renewed one. Ahh for settling in, am yet to make that final but we activated our visas in August in seattle..

Thts Good.Thank you for your advice am relieved.All the best and God bless you abundantly.

hi all

its been i year since i came in. i'm in saint Louis, Missouri. in a summary, i got my first job 3 weeks of entry(10.50/hr),my wife got hers a week later, got my first car 4 weeks later(used to drive with a temporary permit), crashed it 3 weeks later(thank God No injuries), got another by insurance compensation a month later. switched jobs after 6 months(15.45/hr!) with health benefits and insurance. I've been in college since summer 2012 (4.0 GPA still working full time!).my wife in school too. i can say your host and the people(Kenyans) around you and your aggression goes a long way. if you rely too much on others to guide you, you may lose lots of time.

@my2011
I arrived in the US last year December and stayed briefly then went back and since that time I have been in and out 3 times because I had unfinished issues back in Kenya to tackle. In total I have been in the US for around 3 months but now I am back again but this time round I intend to get organized and get settled. But all my paperwork are still intact and I did not experience any problem at the point of entry. Otherwise I am now set for the busy US life and I intend to charge states by January.Thanks to every one in the forum that kept it going for that long My2011,Ngugimuturi you are doing a good job for the forum,wakahu,olyn,njugunut among others.We are a family and those one intend to join need your experience in the US to get themselve for the Atlantic journey.

@my2011
I arrived in the US last year December and stayed briefly then went back and since that time I have been in and out 3 times because I had unfinished issues back in Kenya to tackle. In total I have been in the US for around 3 months but now I am back again but this time round I intend to get organized and get settled. But all my paperwork are still intact and I did not experience any problem at the point of entry. Otherwise I am now set for the busy US life and I intend to charge states by January.Thanks to every one in the forum that kept it going for that long My2011,Ngugimuturi you are doing a good job for the forum,wakahu,olyn,njugunut among others.We are a family and those one intend to join need your experience in the US to get themselve for the Atlantic journey.

Hi!

Where are all this 2011 guys. Wish they can comeback to the forum say for 1week and update us how far they have gone on with life. The lessons learnt on the way and anything that they would wish to share,or give back to other future members. They can mention about DL,Rents, Jobs,Building credit, schools for kids,Insurance as new immigrant,Hospitals or just share your settling in process.
We can also combine all the stories together and publish them say in the forum or a booklet online that our future fellow kenyans or new immigrants can be guided by it for free.
Guys like Ngugunuts,olyn,magkin,kenweed,my2011 etc were very instrumental in our search for info in 2012 forum and am sure they have amazing ideas and knowledge to share now.
Lets share our life stories people.

Hi!

Where are all this 2011 guys. Wish they can comeback to the forum say for 1week and update us how far they have gone on with life. The lessons learnt on the way and anything that they would wish to share,or give back to other future members. They can mention about DL,Rents, Jobs,Building credit, schools for kids,Insurance as new immigrant,Hospitals or just share your settling in process.
We can also combine all the stories together and publish them say in the forum or a booklet online that our future fellow kenyans or new immigrants can be guided by it for free.
Guys like Ngugunuts,olyn,magkin,kenweed,my2011 etc were very instrumental in our search for info in 2012 forum and am sure they have amazing ideas and knowledge to share now.
Lets share our life stories people.

Brilliant idea dubai-b, this i very wise it will definately help future DV=applicants and winners on how to go about this daunting process..maybe a webpage dedicated to East african..downloading the booklet at a fee :):) and the proceeds going to a good cause..

Hi Cathyyliss dont worry I started Dv year 2006 and god has been faithful dont loss hope:)

I am keeping it positive and hoping for the best.Whatever is mine shall never pass by mi.so if this is the time..nothin can stop it.

Brilliant idea dubai-b, this i very wise it will definately help future DV=applicants and winners on how to go about this daunting process..maybe a webpage dedicated to East african..downloading the booklet at a fee :):) and the proceeds going to a good cause..

I hope we can get posts of experiences and we can easily edit them into a booklet but of course with the writers permission. My dream is to see a book/site published that can even be distributed for free in colleges,universities,schools and other places so that those who want to relocate or to go for further studies can have prior knowledge and info. Indian immigrants have their own site with info from starting to apply, interview, tickets, travelling, arriving, and settling inn.
The idea is to reduce fraud, fake documents, greencard marriages and to offer all necessary info under one roof.

I hope we can get posts of experiences and we can easily edit them into a booklet but of course with the writers permission. My dream is to see a book/site published that can even be distributed for free in colleges,universities,schools and other places so that those who want to relocate or to go for further studies can have prior knowledge and info. Indian immigrants have their own site with info from starting to apply, interview, tickets, travelling, arriving, and settling inn.
The idea is to reduce fraud, fake documents, greencard marriages and to offer all necessary info under one roof.

@dubai-b

That is a great idea. In life one should be able to share knowledge acquired over the years for posterity.I believe members who have a rich experience in the forum should be able to come out and help those who are looking forward for the American dream.There are intial challenges but one is able to overcome them with time.

Exactly wanjeri...thanx for supporting and agreeing with the idea. We need more input and then we can decide either to inbox one of us to compile it into one site or blog. How is the settling in now? Have you moved states or are you still in sacremento?