• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2009 winner from EU with many questions!

doc381

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

I've just got my NL and I am very confused! I have some questions and I would be grateful if you can help me with them:

1. My rank number is 2009EU00024XXX. Is there a chance not calling me to the interview? I am from a small country and we don't have many dv applications nor winners. (~ 20 every year). Does this has anything to do with calling or not calling to interview or is just the rank number? I've checked past visa bulletins and I saw that EU is almost always becoming current in july or august. CURRENT means what exactly? does it mean that they completed the number of visas for that year and they will not call more people for interview or it means that they have called everyone from EU for interview?

2. Should I get married now and do the dv procedure for my spouse too or should I wait and apply after i get my GC? How easy is it for my future spouse to get a GC AFTER i get mine through the dv process. I should do a petition through category 2B i think. is there waiting time for this category? if yes how long? does it have to do anything with where you are from?or the wait list is universal for all countries?

thank you in advance,

doc381

First off, congratulations.
1. It is only the ranking number that counts. [with the exception that if you are from a country with many many winners, they will stop giving away immigrant visas for this country after they gave away 3500, which is the max per country per year. This clearly does not apply to you]
Current means that now all CN numbers that have been given out for that continent are called in for interviews, with the exception mentioned above.

2. If you are getting married after the interview [or after you activated the GC after doing CP, which was new information for me, so I am not sure about it, check the other threads] then your spouse can not follow you to the US and you have to wait for about 5 years to let her come. She will get a GC with you when you marry before and this is of course a legal marriage and all paperwork is correct, but she would have to maintain an own visa status for herself when you are a LPR and she is not. If you apply for a family based GC for her as a permanent resident she can not even visit you in the US as she has immigration intent and this prevents immigration services from giving her a tourist or any other non-immigrant visa. :)

P.S. you will find a lot of background information on this issue on the UCSIS and related government websites, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot Ludger!
A couple of more though :)

1.So if everything is ok with the paperwork and the interview is it 100% sure that I get the GC? Me and my girlfriend have a visitor's visa does this affect anything? Can they remove her B1/2 visa if she shows immigration intent after I get my GC?

2.So the only way is to get married before the interview? Do I have to hurry and send the papers to KCC and then call them and change them or should I get married first and send the NL as a couple? Is there a difference between religious marriage or marriage on a city hall? are they both legal?

3.Let's say we get married and we both get our GCs. then if we get divorced does my ex spouse loses the GC?

Sorry for the many questions!

Thank you very very much!

a. There is never a 100% guarantee, that's why there's an interview. Remember, it's also a lottery and your case number might not become current at all. Nobody can predict the future.
b. The visitor's visa will not affect the DV application, yet the DV application might affect the visitor's visa and they might not let you in. Review the other threads there is debate about whether, respectively at what point of your DV application [just winning, or sending in the forms to KCC or having an interview scheduled] you are showing immigrant intent.
c. As soon as she shows immigration intent the B1/2 is void. There can not be immigration intent with any type of non-immigrant visa.

a. As long as you are getting married before the interview and you updated your information with KCC appropriately this should be fine. As a rule of thumb, the earlier the better, because this shows more clearly that this is a real marriage and not fake, thus you might consider getting married before sending back the initial applications. Remember that in the end you will have to show this clearly at the interview, the more proof you have (pics, time living together, old letters, et.) the better. Every case is and maybe handled differently.
b. As to my knowledge only city hall is legal.

I do not know. There is a 2 year temporary green card status for people who are getting married to a US citizen and they can keep the GC if they are getting divorced only after those 2 years. Not sure how this is handled in this situation. Probably other people will be able to answer this question and give more input to the other questions, too.

Good luck :)

3. From what I know, she will not loose her GC even if you both get divorced, since she has the same GC status as you since she gets it as a joint winner (being your wife) from DV Lottery, because she will be getting I-551 visa, which does not have any 2-year prerequisite.

GC through diversity lottery is not a conditional one for two years. She will not loose it if you get divoreced.

Last edited by a moderator:
just get married, send the requested forms (be sure to fill them correctly) than wait, go to interview and youll get your visa. they are not looking for reason to denied yr visa, the most imp. is that your number get current. which country you r from Slovenia maybe.

I am in the same situation. But we have decided to get the marriage sorted before we go. We've been together for years anyways.. I have read here it is much easier to get it sorted ASAP.

Hi!
Thanx all for your answers. I am from Cyprus!
I got very worried last night and I will try and contact the embassy to see if everything is ok.
I was faxed the docs from my father who got them back home (I live in Greece now) and I flew last night back to Cyprus in order to get the actual NL and send them back.
What worried me is that the post stamp on the envelope comes from Sweden and all the docs inside seem like they are just plain paper! I saw some pics of actual docs and the first page is green and has state department signs, mine are all plainwhite paper and there are no original signs of state department! Is there a chance this is not real?
The envelope is a white one letter sized with the address of the KCC on the right upper side and just below a PP sweden stamp (printed).

On the first page there is also a mistake, it says that I won dv-2009 for fiscal year 2008 (October 1, 2007 September 30, 2009). shouldn't be oct 2008 to sep 2009 and fiscal year 2009?

please help me I am very worried!

thanx in advance!

Same here !

Hi there,

I just read your message, indeed the same here on our letter. Sent from Sweden and they mentioned fiscal year 2008 !

Also if you look at the top right corner the expiry date is already passed, it say smth like 2006 and we are 2008 now.

Grateful if you could let me know your answer from the embassy.

Do we need to download new forms who are more recent or can we send the curret expired ones ?

greetings
Jo

well you could call KCC, there is phone in yr letter, you have to tell them your name, birth date and case number (like 2009EU00....) and they will asure you that you have won.

Hi!

Maybe I will call the KCC just to be 100% sure. :)

At the embassy they told me to do so. About the forms they told me that if these are the forms that they've sent you from KCC then there is no problem with the exp.date. but I will download them and fill them out using my pc, it's much more convenient for me.

I hope everything will be ok...until next june ( according to my rank number that's when I 'll get my interview hopefully ).
Thanx again!

Hi Guys
Any DV 2009 winners from Kuwait or Jordan yet. PLease inform us and good luck to all.
Maybe it's too late for this year but i'll keep hoping to get one.