• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2008 CP question--SS#

maconcita

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
A friend of mine arrived on Friday and went to the SS office to get his number and was told that they had nothing to do with it and that he should be receiving it without him requesting it from their offices. Is that true? I thought you had to physically go to that office to request it.
If you have done CP processing and received your SS card, would you please confirm the process? He's leaving next week and wanted to have it before he left.
I thank you for your assistance.

This is a strange problem.
Some people get it automatically, some have to go to the SS office, and some reported they got it faster by going to the SS office.
Maybe it depends on each state....
Theoretically, it should arrive without requesting it!

This is a strange problem.
Some people get it automatically, some have to go to the SS office, and some reported they got it faster by going to the SS office.
Maybe it depends on each state....
Theoretically, it should arrive without requesting it!

Thank you for your response. I hope it will. My friend is freaking out since he's only here for a month and was hoping to get it all settled before he left!
Anyone with a CP experience who wants to share?
thanks

Yes, tell your friend to go there again and request it. I never received the SS card in the mail so I went to the office. In fact, at the CP interview they gave me a SS information sheet that stated that if you don't receive the SS card within 3 weeks or so (I don't remember the exact time frame that it stated in the letter, but I think it was 3 weeks) you need to go to the SS office and request a card.

Like pharunde pointed out: technically they should send you a SS#, but it seems like more often than not, they don't........so your friend needs to go to the SS office and request it. However, your friend probably won't get it before he leaves. The estimated time for the SS card to arrive from the day it was requested is about 10 days. Hope that helps.

In my case, I was asked at POE (LAX) whether I need the new SS card, so I requested it at that time. Later, I did receive the SS card (unfortunately, my name was spell wrong, so I still had to go to SS office to correct it).

I will let him know! I thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. It is wonderful to know that there are people willing to assist with this stressful process :D