• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2007 AOS only

Biometrics notice timing

Hi all,

Thanks for the continued help on this board. A couple of quick notes:

- Sent in my AOS June 6th
- Got my NOA on June 12th (quick!)

My case online says it is currently at the National benefits center (https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/NBCprocesstimes.jsp?).

The site says NBC is processing I-485 from March.

Does that mean i should expect to wait a few months before I get my biometrics appointment notice?

I noticed Jugnu got his notice a few days after his NOA.

I'm only concerned because I have a few business travel trips coming up soon and I don't want to be out of the city when I get my appointment scheduled.

Thanks,
Will

Hi Whatupwilly,
What is NOA?
Did you send you papers to Chicago or to local USCIS?
Thank you.

NOA = Notice of Action.

I believe this is an official confirmation that they got my AOS.

Sent my papers to Chicago.

Thanks,
Will

Hi all,
I wanted to share the good news from my side! Yesterday we went for the interview. Nothing special. Lady just checked our documents. For the students I would advise to have an enrollment verification letter from your school. When she asked to show something proving that we are still in status, I just showed these two letters (one for me and one for my husband, issued last week). She didn't even checked our I-20s. Everything was faster than I thought it will be. Then she said that now she needs to order our visa numbers. Then we get the welcome letter, and cards will be ordered. But when we got back, our online status changed to: card production ordered. And today it changed to: notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident. Big relief...
I also wanted to thank all of you guys for sharing the information. Without this forum we would be so lost:)

Update on Biometrics appointment notice

Hi all,

Thought I would keep the list updated with my status from my previous question. I asked:

- Sent in my AOS June 6th
- Got my NOA on June 12th (quick!)

I just got my biometrics notification today (June 19th) for an appointment on July 7th. This is good and I'm glad to see it is progressing along.

I've got a couple of follow up questions:

1) Has anyone requested a changed date for their biometrics? I may be out of the city for work, but I'm hesitant to request a change in case they bump it back a few months.

2) I'm currently on an H1-B. Given that I am on an H1-B, I don't think I need "Advance Parole" to leave the country do I? The I-485 app states:

If you are an H, L,V, or K3/K4 nonimmigrant whocontinues to maintain his or her status, you may travel ona valid H, L, V or K3/K4 visa without obtaining advanceparole.​

But someone mentioned to me I should get an "Advance Parole" just in case? Even the I-131 form says that H1 holders who have an AOS pending don't need it. So I'm pretty much going to forget about getting an I-131 unless I hear a "just in case" horror story.

Thanks.

Thanks,

Hi willy,

Answer to your previous question,DV cases are dealt differently than the other I-485 and result you got your FP notice.

-Don't miss your FP appointment.You can go before and request them they might take it in advance.

-One does not need AP if they have a valid H1B stamped in their passport or they plan to get one during travel.

-You have 3 and 1/2 month left to September 30th and that might very well be the processing time for if you havenot applied for AP...so my advice it may not worth it at this point.

Jugnu

hi everyone,
i wanted to let you know about my situation.
as i said earlier, we've went to our appointment with the immig. lawyer. he was a very nice and smart man. he said that the USCIS is doing wrong. he said there are no rules saying you have to work during OPT, or you have to seek employment. he said it's just a presumption of them that if you have a work permit, you need to work. he said nobody can understand this OPT because it's not very clear. we told them about the OPT rules they told us, like the employer has to have 21 or more employees, the job has to be full time, etc.., the lawyer said where did you get this? he said we couldn't find a job, because we were trying so hard not to do anything wrong. we showed him my husband's employment letter and told him we've found a job but it wasn't good for OPT, so we've waited for the AOS EAD card. he said it's great, because we don't want to make them think that you may be a public charge if you can't find a job.
he said he'll try to write the letter and send it by this friday. he said that the USCIS would like to correct its mistake probably.

we've talked for about 45 minutes. he said he's gonna charge us hourly because the only thing needs to be done is just writing a letter, and it would be 2 hours at most. with the $75 consultation fee, he said it would be between $375-$500. we were ready to give $2000 :D so it was a surprise.
as the lawyer said too, this is money well spent :D

well, that's all from me now. i hope everything gets clear and we can receive that welcome letter :D

Hi all, I am new here and my trouble is probably not that much new...

Is there any chance in the world to change this situation?

Well, here is the story:

We (me my wife and two daughters) came to the United States in September 2005 from New Zealand (born in Ukraine). After we came, we realised that it would be great to live in America. We have found on the internet that we can apply for a DV-Lottery which gives a chance to be randomly selected by the government's computer to become a resident. And during our stay here, in April 2006 we have received the envelope showing that we are one of luckiest to have that chance. We started to prepare all the documents and forms were supplied in the envelope. We have send all the forms and documents and within about a month have received the second envelope which said that we qualify and we can adjust our status being here, in the US. So, we collected all the rest of documents needed, paid all the fees needed and send the adjustment status documents to the USCIS on 3 of October 2006 and within a week we have got the confirmation that everything is fine and we just need to wait for the interview. we ringed to the KCC to check how is it going in December 2006 and they have said that our case is current. Within checking time we have been visiting local USCIS office and officer said everything goes fine and you just need to wait for the interview. Finally we have got the letter about our scheduled interview on the 13th of June 2007. Me, wife and my children all went there and after interview officer told that we qualify, just need the evidence of funds and we can get our visas on 21-st of June. We have sold our house in New Zealand on 18th June 2007 to show that we have funds. We brought bank statements and the officer said everything is OK and he just need to confirm our visa numbers... After waiting he came out and have said that there is a problem and that the department did not confirm visa numbers because of some reason. Then he went back and checked again and told the same...After all the officer said that we don't qualify for the dv because of a mistake in the first form we filed in October 2005... It was a HUGE shock for us and we did not even know what the mistake was...And now we really feel bad and exhausted... We feel tricked, we paid so much money and been waiting for so long being told that everything is going fine...They could have said about that mistake from the very beginning. Officer then said that the problem was in the chargeability line where we should have wrote Ukraine instead of New Zealand. We are natives of New Zealand. It was a technical mistake and more both countries could participate in DV-2007.

Is there any chance of changing the decision?

We have not received official denial yet.

I spoke with one of lawyers and he said that I need some very strong lawyer to try to send a letter to the Immigration or the department of State to file some serious petition to review their decision about us... I have checked in the USCIS article about CHARGEABILITY and it says that the application MAY BE disqualified. But it is not strictly.

Thank you all in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview documents

Hello All,

My husband and i finally received our interview dates on the same day but he has a time 30 minutes before mine. Is this common? I am wondering about this.

Also, can somebody let us know the list of documents they took for the interview?

Thank you very much in advance, keeping fingers crossed and wishing everybody good luck in their process

Tiny

Thnak you Jugnu!

Does anybody have a list of documents they took for the interview? It looks a like a big list and am scared that i may forget something.

Thank you,
Tiny

Call from CIS Washington

Hi all,

Just wanted to share...abt a month ago I wrote a letter to Mrs.Laura Bush regarding my background checks and hardship that can bring if not finalize by September 30, 2007.I got a call from CIS Officer in Washington and he told me the letter is front of him and he understands a lot is on stake.He verified my H1B Expiration and told me he is working on a letter, however, checks needs to be done!!!

It looks like he will be sending a standard letter to me explaining why checks are necessary but I am surprized and hoping this call might make some movement for my case.

Jugnu

Filing Location

My wife won the 2007 DV with no AF176** so her number will be current on August 1. Please I need guidance on the following

a, My wife moved to from Minneapolis (where we lived with our daughter) to Atlanta on 1 July for her Residency Program and changed status from H4 to H1B, Since she is the primary winner should we be filing at the Atlanta Office? Can we still file at Minneapolis since my daughter and I still live in Minneapolis?

b, Can we have our medicals in separate cities i.e. Atlanta and Minneapolis or must it be together within the filing jurisdiction?

c, Are there experiences to share on the Atlanta and Minneapolis St Paul Office? If we have a choice, which one is more efficient since we have to be done by Sept 30

d, How long does it typically take to get the medical results after the test? We are hoping to get the test done on July 27 and wll like to send in our documents at am on Aug 1. Is that feasible?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Fal Dv_2007,

The package needs to be filed togather for all of you.Time is the essence in your case.

Please choose one office that suits you either Atlanta or Minneapolis.Preassumbly Minneapolis local office might have lesser of traffic than Atlanta.

Medicals can be done at different locations and results will vary according to location but in general 3-5 days at the max with given no complications.

Also, you will be mailing your case to Chicago lockbox office after initial processing NBC/MSC will route package to local office.

Jugnu

Response to FAL DV_2007 (Re: Filing Location)

FAL DV_2007,
While there is really no specific requirement for your medicals to be done at the same location, I think it looks better if you did them all at the same time. That way you can have all the necessary medicals sealed by the same doctor. You may find that it works cheaper too if you are paying for your checkups.

Since time is not particularly on your side, I think you should find out which office has the least traffic and also more efficient and then use an address from that jurisdiction. Since your wife is the principal applicant and only just partially moved to Atlanta (for work reasons) her permanent address could still be in Minneapolis. If however Atlanta is a more effecient location for processing you can go ahead and use her new address. Unfortunately I can't determine which of this location is best. But you can find out by checking how fast they are processing immigrant applications through USCIS website. There are links there pointing to all local processing centers. From there you can determine the waiting times. Although DV category is not particularly referenced, you can usually use processing times to deduce their workload.

Typically it takes about 48 business hours to get your medical results. That's how long it takes for the blood results to get back from the lab; and for the doctor to determine TB absence. Why do you want to wait till July 27th to have your medicals done. You can initiate that process now since the results are valid for a year. Also if it turns out there are certain issues you must address after your results come in, you have plenty of time to do so before August 1st. I will advise that you have all your package ready to be mailed out so that it gets to whatever processing center you elect by August 1st. Remember you have only 2 months to complete the entire process. Every hour counts! Finally, Iwill strongly advise that you write and include a covering letter with your I485 package asking that the application be expidited due to the time sensitive nature of your visa application.

I have based my suggestion above on personal experience, having commenced the AOS process myself but later switched to CP. I hope you find it helpful.

Hi again,

The day before I got my FP taken (yesterday), I got an interview letter for September 10. I have several questions before the interview:

1. My interview will be in Chicago. However, I'm moving to Boston in 3 weeks. Should I change my address online? I read that non-US citizen should report their new address within 10 days of moving. If I do this, will this affect my interview date and location? Since I already got a date, I don't want to get it delayed because of moving to Boston.

2. I also start a new job in Boston. I will plan to get new employment letter and copies of new H1B before the interview. Should I tell the officers right away during the interview that I already move to Boston and have a new job? I don't wanna complicate things that will result in delaying my process since my interview is close to end of September. In other words, I don't want them to postpone my application if I'm required to send new forms with my new employment info. My original plan is to just answer questions they ask. On the other hand, if I don't tell them and they find out, it will look as if I were hiding something. Any suggestions what to do?

3. The letter says that I need to bring an I-864 affidavit support form during the interview. I already included an I-134 affidavit support form in my AOS package. Do I really need to fill this I-864?

4. Also it says that I need to bring I-693 (medical check). I already did my medical check 11 months ago (dated 8/31/06). Do I need to get a new medical check since my interview will be over a year after I got it done?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi Ch3,

Yes, I would recommend to change address via online if you would to receive future correspondance at your new address and this will not change your interview date or location as that is already scheduled.If you decide not to change ur address for correspondance via USCIS website then please do send them AR11 form available at USCIS.GOV to stay in-compliance with law.

-During interview answer all questions truthfully,changing address/job change/may be alot of info officer got to update but no drawbacks on your side.

-Your medicals will be expired so please take again as you don't have time to miss something.

-I-134 is what you need some of the info.might be a standard pattern.Take copy of I-134 with you if you submitted origional.

Good Luck with the process,you are thinking on right lines please do take employment letter/some paystubs/w2/insurance card with you as they all add up and replace the need of I-134 and also reflect your current non immigrant status.

Hope this helps!!!

Jugnu