• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2005 experience Paris, France

Catseyes

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I originally posted my experience here (http://www.eskimo.com/~parents/cgi-bin/readpost.cgi?post=55272). But it is painful to retrieve information on this site. So here it is:

My interview date was June 1st, 2005. My case number was EU18xxx. This was my 1st attempt at the lottery. Same for my boyfriend/husband.

I received NL in July 2004 (the 22nd) in the US ( F1 visa). The International House director from my university advised to see a lawyer. This lawyer advised that if that was the case in my relationship, I should get married with my then-boyfriend (we had been together for 3 years). He also advised to do CP instead of AOS. We hired him: it helped us feel confident that we would know everything about the process.

We decided to get married, and sent back the forms for both of us to KCC in October 04, just after the wedding. The lawyer said that I could have sent my forms and then get married, and then send the forms for my husband ( and new ones for me), but he said that this might be dangerous because of delays in processing.

Then, a "long" wait (not so long compared to other situations). Our number was current since April 05, but for some reason, KCC had not finished processing our case. That's why our interview was only in June. Maybe, because we sent the forms kind of late.

We had time to finish our MS degree in May 05, and then flew back to France for medical exam and CP.

We chose to see the doctor A.V. Mayers because it was the most convenient for us with public transportation. The fee for the exam is 150 E (euros) and it includes the blood test and Xrays.

For CP in Paris, no need to translate french documents. Also, the appointment letter said that they accepted only cash: that's not true, they take all major credit cards, which is way more convenient! Do not take any food/drinks as they are not allowed inside the embassy. But there are vending machines inside... Outside the embassy we had to do some security checks: have your passports and appointment letter ready.

Now the real interview process:

we had to go to window 7 to show passports and cover letter of the appointment letter. Then you have to pay all the fees at window 3.

Then, you wait for your name to be called : we waited more than 2 hours. (we were the only DV winners, but there were a lot of visas for spouses of US citizens).

Once called, we were asked to show all the required documents. We showed our high school diploma ("bac"), but the clerk also wanted to see our brand new MS.

We showed job offers (notarized) for both of us . Still, she asked for a bank statement.

Then she asked for any documents that we would like the consular officer to see. We showed proofs that we had been together for a long time (pictures with date, lease, bills...), but she did not want to see them. We had them because I won the lottery as single, and send back the forms as married ( our lawyer included a marriage certificate with the forms). We also had a letter from the US univertsity saying that we had never been out of status with our F1 visas, but she said that her computer would tell her immediately. We were not asked to show tax returns, but I would advise to have them just in case.

Wait again...Our name was called at a window for the real consular interview. It was conducted in english for us, I guess that is because we had studied in the US. The consular officer was nice and professional. Our case was straight forward. 10 minutes to swear that everything was correct. Then fingerprints for both of us. She said that Washington would make check within hours, she added that since we had never been arrested, it sould not be a problem. Then she said if the check was clear, they would send our visas within 24 to 72 hours. (chronopost enveloppe)

Another thing: we were the only ones ( my husband and I) being in business attire. Others were in flipflops/sneakers and jeans. I do not know if it mattered or not, but at least it proves you take it seriously...

We received the 2 envelopes shortly after. Mine was under my maiden name. I was wondering if that would be a problem, so I called the embassy. They said that as in France, a passport for a married woman says: " first name" "maiden name" ép ( épouse = spouse) "married name", they had to put the visa under my maiden name.

Our POE was Boston ( at that time, we were still oficially living in MA) on June 16th. We were not allowed to use the line for LPR and USCitizens. We were asked to wait at a small office. There, we got fingerprinted again. We asked if the GC could be sent to our address in CT. They said "no".

We did the change of address form with USPS and called USCIS.
We received many welcome letters ( I received 4 and my husband 5). The 1st ones came after 2 weeks after POE. One week after that, we received the GCs.
Mine uses my maiden name. ( because of the way french passports show the maiden and married names ). I haven't had any problems with that.

Here it is!
I hope this is helpful to you all.
Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
catseyes thanks so much
one more question I have bought I envelop chronopost up to 750 gram. do i need to get another one for my husband or will that be enough. merci

We had bought two, which we brought at the embassy. But they only asked for one.
When we received the envelope, the 2 passports and the 2 brown envelopes were inside (the one that has to remain sealed until POE).
As we were living in the US, I chose to have the Chronopost envelope sent to my parents address. (You will have to fill out the form on the envelope, so take a look at it so that you know what to put).
What I put was for the addressee ( = destinataire)
" my first name + married name " 'chez' " my father's name"
" my parents address "

Just one thing: doesn't the appointment letter for interview in Paris say " Chronopost 2kg" ?
I remember that we had bought 2 envelopes for 2kg each. I do not know if 750g is enough. And even though it might be enough in terms of weight, just make sure you have what they request.
At my time, they requested 2kg envelopes ( otherwise, I wouldn't have bought this one). Maybe, it is 750g now.
Just make sure by re-reading your interview letter.

actually , there is no chronopost envelop asked on the forms but i thought they had forgotten. I have read from the embassy web site that an envelop is needed . but they dont specify the weight

thanks

Please find attached an extract of my interview letter.
This is what I received in May'05.
It specifically says a Chronopost 2kg. Anyway, that's strange that this sheet is missing in the package you received.

catseyes
you are such a precious help. I confirm that they did not send me this part . the only thing i have is the list of doctors in paris. the rest is i guess the common part with others.
nothing else from the embassy.
they said in the letter that we may received a letter from the embassy before the interview but it didn t happen. thanks so much.

one more question. can we bring our cellphone within the embassy.
do you have any recommandations. merci
thanks a lot

I did not receive an other letter from the embassy.

If I well remember, you cannot have your cell phone inside the embassy.
But I did not know that, so I had mine. So I was given a number, and I would get my cell phone back when exiting the embassy.

There will be a security check: your bag will be scanned, you will be asked several times for your appointment letter. Any food/drinks will be taken from you. If you want ( that's what I did as it was so warm at that time in Paris), you can for your bottle of water or cookies to be put in a special place ( security officers food storage area, right after the security check) and you will be able to take it back when you exit the embassy. There are vending machines inside.

I hope they haven't changed the procedure, so that you know where to go using my experience post.

We had all the required documents. We also had extra documents, just in case ( proof of a true relationship, US tax returns, F1 visa letter, ...).
However, our lawyer advised not to show anything extra except if asked.
Theoritically, they only ask for a high school degree ( "bac" or equivalent), but the consular clerk wanted to see all our degrees: Ingénieur + MS degree from US university. But technically, they can't deny somebody because they forgot to bring proof of higher education.

Anyway, just make sure you have everything in the order they ask for in the letter. You do not need to have 2 separate portfolios for each of you. For us, she asked for both birth certifcates at the same time, and so on...

Try to be there early: in Paris, there is no special line for Immigrant cases, and another for nonimmigrants. The separation is made inside the embassy.
Then, there is no difference between spouses of US citizens or Dv cases ( we were the only ones on that day, and there aren't too many winners in France). All immigrant cases will be directed to the same window, and then to the fee collection window. Then, you wait for your name to be called. You give your documents to a clerk. Later, a consular officer will call your name: you swear that everything is true, fingerprints, maybe a question, and then...
(There is no interview meaning " in a separate room ")

Good luck!! ( I hope you'll get a wonderful Christmas pr'esent ! )
:rolleyes:

hi cateyes

i got my interview
all my papers were ok

but there is something

first my passport made on 7-2005 but its clear no visas
so the offcier in the interview asked me if i did trvael anywhwre i said no

& i really didnt ,,,,but i made the passport previous year to submit my name in the dv website as its in the passport
then he asked me to swear & i did
then he signed the form
second
when he took my fingerprints
he wait a while then
he typed something strange on the top of my file "which contains the forms"
something like "1," or something like this
then he look at the papers again then he told me that my case need processing ,,,,,& it will take one month or more

what can u say about this

What about taxes/taxations

Hi there,

Do you have some info concerning the taxes/taxations when you get the green card? do you still have to pay taxes in France, or do you have to pay taxes in the US?

I have been told as soon as you get the GC you have to pay US taxes on revenues, ect...

Where could you get a good summary from the US taxes we'll have to pay, and their rates?

Hi there,

Do you have some info concerning the taxes/taxations when you get the green card? do you still have to pay taxes in France, or do you have to pay taxes in the US?

I have been told as soon as you get the GC you have to pay US taxes on revenues, ect...

Where could you get a good summary from the US taxes we'll have to pay, and their rates?

There is fair bit of information about US taxes on the internet if you do a bit of poking around.
First go to: http://www.salary.com/

This will help to give you a good idea what you can expect to earn in your job, in the area you want to move to. To get a zip code for that area just google “NY zipcodes” or something like that. Eg: http://www.mongabay.com/igapo/zip_codes/NY.htm

So a Manhattan ZIP code is: 10155

Use that to try and figure out your expected salary.
So for me around a grade II software engineer here is my salary report:

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/...rsofexp=&geo=New York, NY 10155&zipcode=10155

If you look here there is a tab above the graph called Paycheck, click on that to get a breakdown of the Income taxes that you could expect to pay for your job in the area you are thinking of moving to.
Now I know NY is not a great example as it’s one of the most expensive cities in the US, but that is where I want to go! :)

There are other taxes to think about, like property taxes and other income taxes but you can find out more about them when you will be expected to pay them later on.

Oh and by the way, you cant pay tax on revenue that you have not made yet, so you wont have to pay anything until after you have moved to the US and have begun working. :)

Hope that helps….

To Toto:
Yes, as a GC holder, you have to file a US tax return ( as resident, not the NR forms ).
Even if you made 0, you should file a return.
LPR as well as USC have to report their worldwide income. But there are tax treaties so that you do not pay have to pay taxes to 2 countries.
I can't write on this here, it's a very complicated matter.
Please look at the IRS website, they have publications ( that's where I got my knowledge from ).