• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

dv-2004 dilemma

raksi

Hello Guys,

I need you help. A friend of mine just won the dv-2004 lottery. He is back home. He was just wondering if it is OK for him to get married now and include his wife in the papers. He was single when he filed for the lottery with no dependents. Can he add his wife as an dependent now? At what stage does he need his dependent declared?

Thank you for your earliest attention.

Originally posted by raksi
Hello Guys,

I need you help. A friend of mine just won the dv-2004 lottery. He is back home. He was just wondering if it is OK for him to get married now and include his wife in the papers. He was single when he filed for the lottery with no dependents. Can he add his wife as an dependent now? At what stage does he need his dependent declared?

Thank you for your earliest attention.

Ask your friend to read the instructions carefully in the DV winning letter and the attached documents. His question is very clearly answered in that. He can get in touch with KCC too. Also, you can call KCC if you know your friend's full name, case number, DOB and address.
Hope this will help.

I think he can do that, It is stated that you can include more dependendent if there are any changes (just got married or having a baby), just enclosed marriage certificate.

pwdg and gurus again...

Hello Gurus,

Sorry to bother you again. My friend called me again and he was completely lost about what to do now after he has won the dv lottery. His questions were as follows:

1. What is the deadline date for him to send out those forms 230 I and II? The letter is not clear on that.

2. He is currently unmarried and it is very likely that he will
be married in next couple of months. Is it wise for him to wait till
he gets married and send his and his spouse's forms together? It may take 2-3 months.

3. If he can't wait, and sends the forms for himself alone at this
time, when can he add his spouse so that she can receive visa? What is the timeline on that?

4. Will this kind of marriage raise the eyebrows at the consular's?

I wish I had been able to answer him all the questions above. Somebody please guide the poor fellow.

raksi

Re: pwdg and gurus again...

Hello Gurus,

Sorry to bother you again. My friend called me again and he was completely lost about what to do now after he has won the dv lottery. His questions were as follows:

1. What is the deadline date for him to send out those forms 230 I and II? The letter is not clear on that.

Answer no deadline until september 30, next year.

2. He is currently unmarried and it is very likely that he will
be married in next couple of months. Is it wise for him to wait till
he gets married and send his and his spouse's forms together? It may take 2-3 months.
Answer: he can get married after he submit the forms or before. does not matter

3. If he can't wait, and sends the forms for himself alone at this
time, when can he add his spouse so that she can receive visa? What is the timeline on that?
Answer: once he register his marriage, he can send her forms.

4. Will this kind of marriage raise the eyebrows at the consular's?
Answer DV cases are different . Consulars do not have a saying on someone's marriage in a DV case.

I wish I had been able to answer him all the questions above. Somebody please guide the poor fellow.
Answer I do not think your friend is a poor fellow. He is extremely lucky to win DV. Congradulate him on behalf of me.
NOTE: Please get his complete case number. Then I can give you more advice what to do.
raksi

Thanks pwdg

His case number is 2004AS000309xx. Country is Nepal. I know it is a high number but he's been hearing that his number may become current in August/September 2004. Looks like he's got some time right now. What do you think, should he just get married and send his and his spouse's forms together in July/August this year?

Thanks again pwdg.

raksi

Re: Thanks pwdg

His case number is 2004AS000309xx. Country is Nepal. I know it is a high number but he's been hearing that his number may become current in August/September 2004. Looks like he's got some time right now. What do you think, should he just get married and send his and his spouse's forms together in July/August this year?

Thanks again pwdg.

raksi

I personally feel that he should fill the forms and send them to KCC soon. After he get married, he can inform KCC and fill an extra set of forms. If he is getting married in few months, I don't think that there is any harm in waiting till that time. It is his choice. Since his case number is very high, if he send his forms in January or February, he still has time. When he send the forms, it is better that he send them to you and you mail them from US with a return receipt. Then you will have record of the mail.
Good luck to your friend.

general rules

SO far I know the rgeneral rules of DV is :

~ regardless of case# , you should fill up & send back the DV forms to the mentioned address IMMEDIATELY
The reason is... DV program , they make winner 100,000 applicants & finally issue visas for 55,000 applicant.......(50% Visas)

It is generated " First come , first visa" basis. Whoever sent papers earlier he/she has greater chance to get visa.

~ You should ask the NVC regarding any question , because Immigration rules are changing FREQUENTLY

Good luck..........

Re: is higher number better or worse?

Originally posted by gheewalabhai888
which one helps? how do you know the number is works on what order? how does this work?

Higher number is bad and lower number is good. You need to follow the state department monthly visa bulletin to understand how these numbers work in a given fiscal year.
Hope this helps

raksi
“What is the deadline date for him to send out those forms 230 I and II? The letter is not clear on that”.

I also won the 2004 DV program. If he resides in the U.S. he has to file form 230 as soon as possible. Afer KCC received your friend's application, they will send him another letter.

KCC and my local BCIS also told me that without the $100.00 application, no action will be taken on the application.

Last edited by a moderator: