During the interview is there any paperwork/certificate given for name change??

Aakash28

Registered Users (C)
My wife recently had an interview and she told the IO that she wanted her name changed (last name only). She was just given the N-652 showing showing her case is recommended for approval.

Now I am confused after reading some other thread on this forum stating there is a certificate that has old name and new name that need to be shown during the oath ceremony??

Where/How can I get this certificate? Is it required to be shown during the oath ceremony? If so, what should I do?

Can some one explain what we need to take to oath ceremony besides the GC and oath ceremony notice?

Also, for a person that has a name change what extra happens during the oath ceremony other than the process for regular applicants?

Thanks

I had a name change (change of one alphabet). I only took the GC and Oath ceremony notice.

After the oath you will receive a petition of name change (This contains the old and new name) in addition to the certificate of naturalization.

My wife recently had an interview and she told the IO that she wanted her name changed (last name only). She was just given the N-652 showing showing her case is recommended for approval.

Now I am confused after reading some other thread on this forum stating there is a certificate that has old name and new name that need to be shown during the oath ceremony??

Changing the last name due to marriage doesn't involve any other certificate. The marriage certificate will serve as evidence of the name change.

For other name changes, the name change is completed at the oath ceremony, and at the oath they'll give a name change court order.

Changing the last name due to marriage doesn't involve any other certificate. The marriage certificate will serve as evidence of the name change.

For other name changes, the name change is completed at the oath ceremony, and at the oath they'll give a name change court order.

Hi Jackolantern, Me and my spouse cleared our n-400 interview on Monday, On my wife's application we selected name change (only last name change). Does it mean we will get Judicial Oath and not the Administrative oath?

Is there any way we can request administrative oath at this point?

Thanks.

Where/How can I get this certificate? Is it required to be shown during the oath ceremony? If so, what should I do?

Can some one explain what we need to take to oath ceremony besides the GC and oath ceremony notice?

Also, for a person that has a name change what extra happens during the oath ceremony other than the process for regular applicants?

Thanks

Hi Aakash28,
Do you know if your wife will get an administrative oath or judicial oath?
I have exact same question and I am trying to figure out if a judicial oath is required as I have same case.

Thanks

I had a name change (change of one alphabet). I only took the GC and Oath ceremony notice.

After the oath you will receive a petition of name change (This contains the old and new name) in addition to the certificate of naturalization.

hi boxerbhai, did you get administrative oath or did you have to go for judicial oath? what was the time frame between interview and oath? Thanks!

Hi Jackolantern, Me and my spouse cleared our n-400 interview on Monday, On my wife's application we selected name change (only last name change). Does it mean we will get Judicial Oath and not the Administrative oath?
If the name change was only to take your last name, that can and should be done in an administrative oath. However, if the interviewer did not realize that the name change is due to marriage, and she didn't point out that fact, the interviewer might have initiated processing for a judicial oath.

Is there any way we can request administrative oath at this point?
Attempting that could cause more delays than it saves.

If the name change was only to take your last name, that can and should be done in an administrative oath. However, if the interviewer did not realize that the name change is due to marriage, and she didn't point out that fact, the interviewer might have initiated processing for a judicial oath.

Attempting that could cause more delays than it saves.

Thank you Jackolantern!!

Hi Aakash28,
Do you know if your wife will get an administrative oath or judicial oath?
I have exact same question and I am trying to figure out if a judicial oath is required as I have same case.

Thanks

We do not know if my wife will get administrative or judicial oath. At this point, I do not know the difference between the 2. Can you please explain briefly what's the difference and why are you worried about it?

Thanks

I requested a name change too my Oath letter shows both names previous name and new name, IO mentioned that court will issue a name change certificate at oath ceremony.

We do not know if my wife will get administrative or judicial oath. At this point, I do not know the difference between the 2. Can you please explain briefly what's the difference and why are you worried about it?

A judicial oath will involve a judge, and is usually done in court. Judicial oaths are required for name changes (other than taking the spouse's last name), and are held less frequently than administrative oaths*, so the oath might be 1 to 3 months later than if you got an administrative oath. Kshitij is probably worried about that possible delay.

*except in a few districts where ALL oaths are judicial oaths so there is no difference because everybody is in a judicial oath.

Last edited by a moderator:
A judicial oath will involve a judge, and is usually done in court. Judicial oaths are required for name changes (other than taking the spouse's last name), and are held less frequently than administrative oaths*, so the oath might be 1 to 3 months later than if you got an administrative oath. Kshitij is probably worried about that possible delay.

*except in a few districts where ALL oaths are judicial oaths so there is no difference because everybody is in a judicial oath.

Thanks Jackolantern. From your info it looks like in our district all oaths are judicial oaths as our oath ceremony is supposed to happening in our district court on a date which is 2 months later than the date when our interview was held.

hi boxerbhai, did you get administrative oath or did you have to go for judicial oath? what was the time frame between interview and oath? Thanks!

Ours was in a courtroom in front of a judge - We had 94 people who took the oath (Probably a judicial oath - I dont know what administrative oath is)

Jackolantern - need your urgent help.

Both my daughter and I have rec'd interview dates for the end of this month, however , my wife's case has not gone beyond yellow letter( she is about three weeks behind us). I want to make an info pass appt for her, problem is I do not know which line to tick off in the info pass online application.

Please help ,