Duplicate A-File N400 application

Registered Users (C)
Hi ALL,

I had my naturalization interview 4 weeks ago in NJ. At the end I got two forms. One was N-652, stating that I passed tests of English and U.S. history and government. And on box B)it says: a decision cannot yet be made about your application. ( Pending relating A-File)

Another form (no name, ) has a checked box: Selective Service Statement why you did not register and another checked box: Other- List of trips made out of United States.

The officer at the interview said that there is a duplicate A-File showing on my computer, we need to look into it this before to make a decision. ( I do remember that the INS had created another A-File for the Green Card before, I had sent a letter at that time stating I have already received my GreenCard with my Original A# .

So far,
1.I have sent the letters for failure to register Selective Service.

2.List of trips made out of USA: Out of 5 years travelled 224 days.

Questions:

1. How long does INS usually take to go through the duplicate A-file?.
2. Regarding Selective Service I was 24 yrs when I came to this country and I never knew about this and now I am 32 yrs, Is this really a problem?.

Thank you very much in Advance for your answers!

6776 said:
Hi ALL,

Questions:

1. How long does INS usually take to go through the duplicate A-file?.
2. Regarding Selective Service I was 24 yrs when I came to this country and I never knew about this and now I am 32 yrs, Is this really a problem?.

Thank you very much in Advance for your answers!

1) it normally takes them 2 - 4 weeks to receive the file at the local office after they have requested it. Once they receive it, they will review it and file/merge it with your citizenship file. The time it takes to merge after they receive your file, depends on the officer overlooking your case. Once the officer approves your case and your file is complete, you will be scheduled for Oath ceremony.
2) more information on selective service can be found at the following address: http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html

Hope this helps and good luck with your Oath process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou for your reply, I also have a doubt i heard if the A file is not under processing they send it to the National Records Center, what if my duplicate A file is sitting in NRC, how long will this take? Thanks much.

6776 said:
Thankyou for your reply, I also have a doubt i heard if the A file is not under processing they send it to the National Records Center, what if my duplicate A file is sitting in NRC, how long will this take? Thanks much.

2 - 4 weeks is the time frame given to me by the officer. After they receive it, it depends on how long they take to process it (this time is not known).

In my case the local office received my second A file in 4 weeks. It took them another 3 - 4 weeks to process and send my oath letter. Hope this helps.

Thankyou so much for your answers!! I hope everything works out for me will keep you updated.

duplicate A-File

fitness99 said:
1) it normally takes them 2 - 4 weeks to receive the file at the local office after they have requested it. Once they receive it, they will review it and file/merge it with your citizenship file. The time it takes to merge after they receive your file, depends on the officer overlooking your case. Once the officer approves your case and your file is complete, you will be scheduled for Oath ceremony.
2) more information on selective service can be found at the following address: http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html

Hope this helps and good luck with your Oath process.

Hello Everyone

Specially 6776 & fitness99 because you know solution of my problem.

I completed my citizenship interview on 14th November and was interviewed by a young officer who said that he was recommending a granting, but some how I have two files (Green Card) under my name so he has check and remove other file first before give me oath date. He gave me the interview result - n-652 saying I have completed all tests and USCIS will send a written decision. Many people had their oath on the same day, but mine I don't know what is happening.

What does this mean?
When can I expect to see something?

It looks like everything is in order, every paper was in order. No complications, not even a driving record. The young officer indicated that he's not able to approve, until Decision on two files. I even saw him circle granted in the sheet that he was marking on and he also indicated that he was recommending approval. Is there anything else I can do?

It looks like everything is in order, but still no decision.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Still Waiting.....

Hi 6776 & fitness99

As you know I have same duplicate A-files case. I am still waiting for any reply from INS.
Do you how it take time to get Oath date after interview? what if i want check my 2nd A-file status?

Appreciate for reply.

Thanks

Bad Info-Pass Experience

Hi
Yesterday I have bad experience with immigration officer.
I have Info-Pass Appointment. When I went there, officer just took my Info-Pass letter, GC and last letter from INS which I have N-652 result of interview. As officer see that I have problem with Dual A-files, she even not see any information in computer and just told me to wait for letter from INS. I request her couple of times but she was very rude and she even not checks anything and told me “Have nice Day”.

I don’t know what I will do? Should I try again for Info-Pass or wait for letter from INS.

Thanks

Write a letter to your interviewing officer and politely ask for his/her help to complete the processing with the duplicate A-file. The interviewing officer is the one who will review the duplicate A-file, merge, and then approve the case.