Dumb question (IRS tax transcripts)

Dani

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I have yet another silly dilemma. Is it OK to send copies of the IRS transcripts for N-400 based on marriage to USC? Or they want originals? I kind of wanna keep the originals just in case they ask about them on interview.
Thank you!!!

Dani said:
Hello,
I have yet another silly dilemma. Is it OK to send copies of the IRS transcripts for N-400 based on marriage to USC? Or they want originals? I kind of wanna keep the originals just in case they ask about them on interview.
Thank you!!!

Hello Dani,

I have sent copies of tax transcripts , When I went to the interview the office she never bother to look at the orig, or even tax returns. :)
Good luck,

You do not have to send anything (neither copy nor original). Just take them with you to the interview. Show the transcripts only if you are asked for. Else, just forget that they are even with you.

According to the natz. guide document checklist for applicants for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen the following section applies:

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, OR
• IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, OR
• an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

From the three options, the last one, the IRS tax transcript is the easiest one to provide. I sent copies of IRS tax transcripts for our joint returns. The I/O did not ask for the originals, however I had them with me at the Interview.

I had also included copies of joint bank accounts in the application. At the interview the I/O asked for more current (within the last couple of months of the interview) bank statements, mortgage statement/lease, papers etc. So take the originals of what ever you include in your application packet, and also take some current statements at the interview.

All the best.

sfbayguy said:
According to the natz. guide document checklist for applicants for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen the following section applies:

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, OR
• IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, OR
• an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

From the three options, the last one, the IRS tax transcript is the easiest one to provide. I sent copies of IRS tax transcripts for our joint returns. The I/O did not ask for the originals, however I had them with me at the Interview.

I had also included copies of joint bank accounts in the application. At the interview the I/O asked for more current (within the last couple of months of the interview) bank statements, mortgage statement/lease, papers etc. So take the originals of what ever you include in your application packet, and also take some current statements at the interview.

All the best.

First of all thanx to everyone who responded.
I already have everything but the money orders and photos, gonna do that next week after my finals. Is still $330 for the application and $70 for fingerprints?
Do I really need to include bank statements or can I include only a letter from the bank that we have a joint account for 5 years now?
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dani said:
Hello,
Thank you!!!

Copies are OK.