DUI Folks ..Log your concerns here

Latest on me?

Yesterday got a letter from USCIS(letter has address of my local San Jose office). Letter is dated Aug 10th and recently on july 18th I had an interview -
Letter says I inquired about status of my I-485 application on 06/11/07. On that date, I called USCIS to get my zip code corrected and this letter resulted from it. I noticed an incorrect zip code on my FP notice on which my address was new and zip code from the old address and I had to go to SFO for FP. However thats another screwup altogether on part of USCIS.

Other than my information, letter says "Typographical Error" as "Type of Service Requested" which is OK. But it goes on to say that -
Status of your service request is:

The processing of your case has been delayed. A check og our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required investigation into your background remains open.

and then blah blah about all these need to be completed before you get the immigration benefit.

I had my interview on july 18th. Only reason that IO cited was lack of visa numbers. I have the letter than IO gave me and it has only visa number not available related section checked. IO said eveything else looked good.

Now WTF? Background checks pending?

Visa approved!!

Hi all,
Just wanted to inform everyone that my visa got approved yesterday in Delhi...Ill post details later about what to do/what not to do...

My case: DUI in april '05, in Delhi for processing...total time taken approx 4 weeks ( although it could have been lesser by a week had I not goofed up a couple of things)

All the best to everyone who's planning to get their visa stamped post DUI...

Cheers
duiguy

congrads...

duiguy...

congrads..i hope you are on high spirits :)..anyways, a couple of us( as far as i am aware of) are planning on going to india for stamping in october. Please let us know about what to do and what not to..if possible, send everyone a detailed post, so that we can follow the do's and be weary of the Dont's. have fun man, im sure u must be...please help us out though...awaiting ur post..

sosbuddha.

H1B processing after DUI

duiguy...

congrads..i hope you are on high spirits ..anyways, a couple of us( as far as i am aware of) are planning on going to india for stamping in october. Please let us know about what to do and what not to..if possible, send everyone a detailed post, so that we can follow the do's and be weary of the Dont's. have fun man, im sure u must be...please help us out though...awaiting ur post..

sosbuddha.

Hi all,
I figured I owe a detailed explanation of the procedure involved. I still havent got my passport (VO told me that it has been approved "pending" the fact that there are no other such cases in my name....strange since they should have already done those checks during fingerprinting...but again I might be thinking too much into it :) )... anyways my 2nd interview was held late on Monday evening(4 30 pm)...and its Wednesday morning as i type this...so I guess i have to wait till today atleast ...anyways heres the experience:

1. Went to Delhi consulate on July 27, got a 221(g) as expected...that was for fingerprinting though...VO did tell me though that Ill have to go to a panel physician according to a new legislation...She told me that it might take upto 4 weeks for the whole process.. did the fingerprinting same eveing after paying a demand draft for 85$ ( 3570Rs)

2. Got an e-mail on August 06 as follows:
Dear Mr. XYZ:

This is in regards to your nonimmigrant visa application.

In order to process your application you are required to visit one of our panel physicians for review. To get the contact information of the panel physician please visit the site http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/medical_report.html .

3. After this I contacted one of the physicians on the list(Note that the physician HAS to be affiliated with the same Embassy that you are interviewing with...I confirmed it with the embassy)...This is why I reiterate that you SHOULD take an appointment in your city of residence if possible or else you 'll end up doing multiple trips of the alternate city....

4. Physician made me do 3 blood tests: Serum Alcohol, Liver Function test and some gamma test( not sure abt the exact name)..In addition, there is something that I d call a pyscho test :) ... basically an interview with a psychiatrist(a different one)... he asked me some questions like...what are ur drinking habits..how often,how much...what happened on the day of the DUI...spoke for 5 minutes and then gave me a certificate which stated that Im mentally stable and that Im not a danger to anyone.
Note: Make sure that you dont consume any alcohol atleast3-4 days before the blood tests....apparently they are very sensitive..

This whole process shouldnt take more than 3 days (most places give u the results in 2 days)...Once i had the results, I went back to the embassy on monday Aug 20 (the delay on my part was for work related reasons...)..same VO .. Showed the medical certificates (sealed by the doc)...she asked me to wait for a while , took the docs and stepped out...came back in 2 mins....typed a lot of stuff...and finally said (to my huge relief)..OK mrXYZ ur visa has been approved pending the fact that you dont have similar cases during ur stay in the US..I asked, how much time will that take to know,...she said she didnt know....but I dont have any other misdemeanors /felonies and therefore Im OK...Bottom line is that it was approved and Now waitng for the passport...will let u guys know when I finally get it...Im really not expecting a delay since they should have checked everything before itself..

So thats my story....Hopefully everyone gets their visas...although one has to really wonder about the USCIS's logic...especially in cases so old (mine ws 2.5 years old)...but anyways I think its a form of strict deterrant which they are using to reduce the number of DUIs eventually...

Please contact me if you have questions and Ill be more than glad to help
Cheers

Got passport today!

Hi all,
FYI, I received my passport by courier today. It looks normal, except for 1 comment on the VIsa page under Annotation: "HIT CLEARED - APP MET WITH PANEL PHYSICIAN", which is good I think since it clears any doubts the immigration officer might have at the port of entry :)

All the best to everyone going to India in the near future
Cheers
duiguy

Any experience from Chennai Consulate

Did any one go to Chennai consulate ?

Can any one share your experiences.....
These experiences would be highly helpful

Thanks
Kumar

Last edited by a moderator:
Second Interview schedule

Hi Duiguy,
Do you need to again fix an interview with the consulate once you are ready with the physican panel's report( Once i get the reports from the panel do i need to wait till the next available date and time in consulate). I was charged with DUI but it was drooped to negligent driving and i got a deferred sentence (it means not convicted and the case will be dismissed after one year provided i don't commit any other crime)
Additonally i was not fingerprinted when stopped for DUI? Is there any chance that i don't undergo with this additonal phase?
Please help

Hi all,
FYI, I received my passport by courier today. It looks normal, except for 1 comment on the VIsa page under Annotation: "HIT CLEARED - APP MET WITH PANEL PHYSICIAN", which is good I think since it clears any doubts the immigration officer might have at the port of entry :)

Cheers
duiguy

Last edited by a moderator:
Lot of information here on the DUI cases.

Congrats!!!! all those who succeesfuly got stamping and good luck to those who are about to go for stamping

My DUI situation is as follows.

I was arrested for DWI 10 days back. I blew 0.07(BAC test) and got fingerprinted too.I have got my first court case on sep18.I am going to india on october 18th ,attorney says that its going to take atleast 2-3 trials to get to the final result, so during my stay in india my case will be in pending status.

1) So now is it a better idea to get stamped in india.How long it takes usually and in the worst case to get H1 stamping in india(as i need to go through back ground check and physical panel evaluation)

2. Is it better to go to mexico or canada for stamping and how long does it take here for H1 stamping.(as i need to go through back ground check and physical panel evaluation)

3.What all the documents i need to take regarding my DWI case for smooth H1 stamping.

4.Even though the case is in pending status,are my fingerprints going to FBI database.

5.Is it ok to go to stamping while the case is in pending status?is it advantageous since i am not convicted yet .if so i am planning to got to mexico or cannada immediately after my court case on sep 18th.

6.Is there any other checking procedures that i undergo other than physical panel evaluation and background check

7.If anybody knows any good experienced immigration lawyer, please let me know.

Please any kind of advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Have a great day

Please give your valuable opinions for my DWI case

Thanks a lot guys for the valuable information on DUI.after reading all the posts I understood the follwoing points

Can someone please let me know their opinion on the below questions.

1.Now it looks like it is better that i go to India or mexico for stamping only after the case is closed.

2.I have got arrested for the first time for DWI and i am also charged for speeding at the same time.So the following can be the outcome of my court case
a)DWI charge reduced to reckless and negligient driving and got convicted for speeding(this can also result in reckless driving) I guess this can happen on my first cout summon on sept 18th
b)For DWI charge I am not convicted and got convicted for speeding(this can also result in reckless driving)For this result i have to wait 2-3 months
c)For DWI charge i got convicted and got convicted fro speeding(this can also result in reckless driving) I guess this can happen on my first cout summon on sept 18th

To get the result specified in (b) is my preference.

In all the above three outcomes i guess it does mot make me inadmissible to US? Please let me know.

Please specify if i need any more documents than that mentioned below considering my charges.

1)Certified copies of charges filed(DA's case)
2)Certified court disposition..(what does this document contains actually)
3)Police report
4)Court reporter's document which record the conversation between judge and the party(You or your attorney)by contacting the court reporter's office in advance so that they keep it ready

In mexico can i know which U.S consulate has the physical panel evaluation.Is there anybody who went to mexico and got physical panel evaluation. is there any website where i can get this information.

Please any advice can be very helpful .

Have a wonderful day

Lot of information here on the DUI cases.

Congrats!!!! all those who succeesfuly got stamping and good luck to those who are about to go for stamping

My DUI situation is as follows.

I was arrested for DWI 10 days back. I blew 0.07(BAC test) and got fingerprinted too.I have got my first court case on sep18.I am going to india on october 18th ,attorney says that its going to take atleast 2-3 trials to get to the final result, so during my stay in india my case will be in pending status.

1) So now is it a better idea to get stamped in india.How long it takes usually and in the worst case to get H1 stamping in india(as i need to go through back ground check and physical panel evaluation)

2. Is it better to go to mexico or canada for stamping and how long does it take here for H1 stamping.(as i need to go through back ground check and physical panel evaluation)

3.What all the documents i need to take regarding my DWI case for smooth H1 stamping.

4.Even though the case is in pending status,are my fingerprints going to FBI database.

5.Is it ok to go to stamping while the case is in pending status?is it advantageous since i am not convicted yet .if so i am planning to got to mexico or cannada immediately after my court case on sep 18th.

6.Is there any other checking procedures that i undergo other than physical panel evaluation and background check

7.If anybody knows any good experienced immigration lawyer, please let me know.

Please any kind of advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Have a great day

Hi,
Here are the answers:
1.Now it looks like it is better that i go to India or mexico for stamping only after the case is closed.

Yes I think you should wait till the case is completely closed. This will also help you obtain teh certified copies which state that you have completed every formality/punishment etc.

2.I have got arrested for the first time for DWI and i am also charged for speeding at the same time.So the following can be the outcome of my court case
a)DWI charge reduced to reckless and negligient driving and got convicted for speeding(this can also result in reckless driving) I guess this can happen on my first cout summon on sept 18th
b)For DWI charge I am not convicted and got convicted for speeding(this can also result in reckless driving)For this result i have to wait 2-3 months
c)For DWI charge i got convicted and got convicted fro speeding(this can also result in reckless driving) I guess this can happen on my first cout summon on sept 18th

To get the result specified in (b) is my preference.

In all the above three outcomes i guess it does mot make me inadmissible to US? Please let me know.

Please specify if i need any more documents than that mentioned below considering my charges.

I can talk about IL here, since thats where I am from. I just went to the circuit court, (records division), asked them to look all cases by last name and they were able to pull everything up. Then I asked for certified copies of all the cases. I think that is sufficient for the Visa officer. The certified copy has copies of the police report as well as the tickets issued. As for the court reporter's doc, i didnt get it but i was never asked for it at all.

1)Certified copies of charges filed(DA's case)
2)Certified court disposition..(what does this document contains actually)
3)Police report
4)Court reporter's document which record the conversation between judge and the party(You or your attorney)by contacting the court reporter's office in advance so that they keep it ready

In mexico can i know which U.S consulate has the physical panel evaluation.Is there anybody who went to mexico and got physical panel evaluation. is there any website where i can get this information.

Not sure about it but I think you can call them up and enquire. I dint find any info on the site as such

Please any advice can be very helpful .

Have a wonderful day

Urgent...Please help with DUI

Friends,

I request your help on DUI. It was a bad day for me yesterday and i sincerely request suggestions from you.
I hit a car (No injuries, very small collision) and got a DUI yesterday with 0.12 (0.08 is allowed alcohol limit in ILLINOIS state) on breath test. They took my finger prints, went to jail for 4 hrs and gave a court date on 10/15. I would appreciate, if anyone can provide valuable suggestions in guiding me how to start working on this.
1. How this will effect on my immigration status. I am on H1-B visa (Approved Oct 2006) valid till Sp 2009 and already got H1-B stamped early this year, May. Rightnow am planning to go India sometime soon for 3 weeks vacation. Is it safe to go at this time. Would there be any problem at the port of entry, taking finger prints etc...?
2. How much it would cost me to get a lawyer?
3. What kind of punishment would i get?

Please post your suggestions. Thanks very much in advance.

I am also going for stamping oct-end

Dude I am also planning to go for H1-stamping october end.
hello everyone,

I have posted twice already but have not been responded to yet..please is there anyone here on this forum who is planning on making a trip to India shortly, in the next few months, for h1-b stamping. Please let me know..atleast i can ask them for help, as I am planning on going sometime in october..

Please guys, help required urgently..

please

sosbuddha

TO : rkniu_1981

As far as DUI is concerned, every state has its own law and consequences. Your H1B shouldn't be affected at least till 2009. Even when it comes to filing for H1 extensions 2009; you shouldn't have problems (I have gotten 2 approvals since my DUI). Given that the law stays the same, you will be ok. I didn't leave the country until a judgement was made by the court. However, a week after my conviction at the court, I left to travel outside of US about 4 times with my valid Visa Stamp. You are lucky that you have a valid visa stamp until 2009. It's only problematic when you have to obtain a stamp from outside the US.
Going to your next question. Get ready to spend about 4k on the lawyer and a couple thousand more on fines, etc depending on state.
Punishment: In california, it's about anywhere from 1 day to 90 days; usually the judge will offer you to do community service instead of spending time in jail. I did 10 days of community service; picking trash, etc.

If someone from Illinois who has gone through this experience can help you answer any specific questions, that would be great.

Friends,

I request your help on DUI. It was a bad day for me yesterday and i sincerely request suggestions from you.
I hit a car (No injuries, very small collision) and got a DUI yesterday with 0.12 (0.08 is allowed alcohol limit in ILLINOIS state) on breath test. They took my finger prints, went to jail for 4 hrs and gave a court date on 10/15. I would appreciate, if anyone can provide valuable suggestions in guiding me how to start working on this.
1. How this will effect on my immigration status. I am on H1-B visa (Approved Oct 2006) valid till Sp 2009 and already got H1-B stamped early this year, May. Rightnow am planning to go India sometime soon for 3 weeks vacation. Is it safe to go at this time. Would there be any problem at the port of entry, taking finger prints etc...?
2. How much it would cost me to get a lawyer?
3. What kind of punishment would i get?

Please post your suggestions. Thanks very much in advance.

Dude I am also planning to go for H1-stamping october end.

well, i wd say..welcome to the club of curious stamping goer's..well i have mine scheduled at the chennai consulate on the 22nd. How abt you, and whats your story. I am available on 505-571-9078..call me and we can talk..

cheers.

sosbuddha

Hi all,

Cheers
duiguy

Hey man;

I have been in touch with milinds and we keep talking about our respective stampings in oct..we have it on the same day in india, but im going to chennai..hey, he told me that you gave him your number here and I was wondering if you could pass me the same. I was hoping to talk to you once regarding the entire experience and maybe get a few tips. Please do me a fav and call me at 505-571-9078 or send me a number to sosbuddha@yahoo.co.in
Really appreciate your help and the info that you have alrady posted on this forum.

Cheers

Krishna.

As far as DUI is concerned, every state has its own law and consequences. Your H1B shouldn't be affected at least till 2009. Even when it comes to filing for H1 extensions 2009; you shouldn't have problems (I have gotten 2 approvals since my DUI). Given that the law stays the same, you will be ok. I didn't leave the country until a judgement was made by the court. However, a week after my conviction at the court, I left to travel outside of US about 4 times with my valid Visa Stamp. You are lucky that you have a valid visa stamp until 2009. It's only problematic when you have to obtain a stamp from outside the US.
Going to your next question. Get ready to spend about 4k on the lawyer and a couple thousand more on fines, etc depending on state.
Punishment: In california, it's about anywhere from 1 day to 90 days; usually the judge will offer you to do community service instead of spending time in jail. I did 10 days of community service; picking trash, etc.

If someone from Illinois who has gone through this experience can help you answer any specific questions, that would be great.

H14LIFE:
Thanks very much. It gave me some sort of relief. Rightnow, I am looking for DUI attorneys who can represent me in court. Also, In your message above, what does the sentence in bold refer to...Is it probation?
Thanks pnce again dude.

probation period

H14LIFE:
Thanks very much. It gave me some sort of relief. Rightnow, I am looking for DUI attorneys who can represent me in court. Also, In your message above, what does the sentence in bold refer to...Is it probation?
Thanks pnce again dude.

1 to 90 days for first offense DUI is either jail time or community service; this is different from probation period.

Probation period is 3 years in the state of California.

DUI case pending going to India

Hi Friends,

I got a DWI in Texas last week. I have got an attorney who will work on my case.
Now I have to go to India in November and my lawyer said he can have my hearings set once I come back. I am on H1 and its valid and stamped on my passport. So I don't need visa stamping.
My question is that Would they stop me on my return even though my case is not yet started. Is it safe to travel during this phase as they will always get my pictures in national crime database.

Please help.

DUI charges/H1B stamping

Hi Friends,

I need some input from you guys. I got DUI charge on august and I have hearing on 17th of this month. My attorney says, she can drop down the charges to reckless driving. Again i am not sure what is going to happen ?
I have already booked appointment in mexico. Can somebody suggest me, is it wise to go mexico or india ? Even if i get the charge drop down to "reckless driving, will i go through finger print verifications and all. How long does the process takes..

thanks

duiguy Thanks for the info need some help

I want to thank you all who have contributed to this form it is very helpful information. I have a physical control citation was handcuffed but spent no time in jail or no finger printing. I am planning to go to Delhi to get my visa stamped and have fe questions:

1. How do you schedule a appointment from here for an intevriew in Delhi as i cannot seem to book an appointment without paying fees in India.
2. Would it be a good idea to get a medical examination done before going to the inteview.
3.I would appricate if you can send me a contact number or e-mail id so i can get some guidnace from you. My id is nsree13@gmail.com

duiguy...

congrads..i hope you are on high spirits ..anyways, a couple of us( as far as i am aware of) are planning on going to india for stamping in october. Please let us know about what to do and what not to..if possible, send everyone a detailed post, so that we can follow the do's and be weary of the Dont's. have fun man, im sure u must be...please help us out though...awaiting ur post..

sosbuddha.

Hi all,
I figured I owe a detailed explanation of the procedure involved. I still havent got my passport (VO told me that it has been approved "pending" the fact that there are no other such cases in my name....strange since they should have already done those checks during fingerprinting...but again I might be thinking too much into it :) )... anyways my 2nd interview was held late on Monday evening(4 30 pm)...and its Wednesday morning as i type this...so I guess i have to wait till today atleast ...anyways heres the experience:

1. Went to Delhi consulate on July 27, got a 221(g) as expected...that was for fingerprinting though...VO did tell me though that Ill have to go to a panel physician according to a new legislation...She told me that it might take upto 4 weeks for the whole process.. did the fingerprinting same eveing after paying a demand draft for 85$ ( 3570Rs)

2. Got an e-mail on August 06 as follows:
Dear Mr. XYZ:

This is in regards to your nonimmigrant visa application.

In order to process your application you are required to visit one of our panel physicians for review. To get the contact information of the panel physician please visit the site http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/medical_report.html .

3. After this I contacted one of the physicians on the list(Note that the physician HAS to be affiliated with the same Embassy that you are interviewing with...I confirmed it with the embassy)...This is why I reiterate that you SHOULD take an appointment in your city of residence if possible or else you 'll end up doing multiple trips of the alternate city....

4. Physician made me do 3 blood tests: Serum Alcohol, Liver Function test and some gamma test( not sure abt the exact name)..In addition, there is something that I d call a pyscho test :) ... basically an interview with a psychiatrist(a different one)... he asked me some questions like...what are ur drinking habits..how often,how much...what happened on the day of the DUI...spoke for 5 minutes and then gave me a certificate which stated that Im mentally stable and that Im not a danger to anyone.
Note: Make sure that you dont consume any alcohol atleast3-4 days before the blood tests....apparently they are very sensitive..

This whole process shouldnt take more than 3 days (most places give u the results in 2 days)...Once i had the results, I went back to the embassy on monday Aug 20 (the delay on my part was for work related reasons...)..same VO .. Showed the medical certificates (sealed by the doc)...she asked me to wait for a while , took the docs and stepped out...came back in 2 mins....typed a lot of stuff...and finally said (to my huge relief)..OK mrXYZ ur visa has been approved pending the fact that you dont have similar cases during ur stay in the US..I asked, how much time will that take to know,...she said she didnt know....but I dont have any other misdemeanors /felonies and therefore Im OK...Bottom line is that it was approved and Now waitng for the passport...will let u guys know when I finally get it...Im really not expecting a delay since they should have checked everything before itself..

So thats my story....Hopefully everyone gets their visas...although one has to really wonder about the USCIS's logic...especially in cases so old (mine ws 2.5 years old)...but anyways I think its a form of strict deterrant which they are using to reduce the number of DUIs eventually...

Please contact me if you have questions and Ill be more than glad to help
Cheers