DUI and travelling out of country

arjun28

Registered Users (C)
I have recently got a DWI in Collin county in Texas last week. I have hired criminal lawyer. My questions are:

1- Can I travel to India before my hearing date in court and come back before hearing. I am on H1 and valid visa is stamped. I don't need re-stamping. My lawyer says yes i can travel but as he is not immigration lawyer i want to double check whether I will be stopped duing my return.

2- If they punish you with jail term say even 5 days and also probabtion, is there a way you can plea / appeal for jail term and go to some other court or they arrest you from court itself.

I would appreciate if someone can answer both my questions.

I am also in the same situation, but I am already convicted by the court with DUI. I also do need a help.....If you have any updates please tell me.....

I think if you are already convicted you need to have permission from your probabtion officer if have got any probation. If not than let me know what your conviction details and which state u got DWI.

Here are the count I had when I was pulled over by cops in Indiana, there was no accident , no injuries. Someone called up and said that my vehicle was all over the road. My BAC came around .21

Below are the counts at the initial stage...

1) Operating a Vehicle while intoxicated endangering a person, Class A misdemenor, pursuant to I.C.9-30-5-2(a)

2) Operating a Vehicle with ACE of .15 or more, a Class A misdemenor pursuant to I.C.9-30-5-1(b)

3) Public intoxication, a Class B misdemenor, pursuant to I.C.7.1-5-1-3

Then, I pleaded guilty, since I work for our client thr Indian company and on L1B Status...

On the plea hearing, court charged with (Final disposition/Sentencing order)

OPERATING A VEHICLE WHILE INTOXICATED--CLASS A MISDEMENOR

and put me on remote reporting probation for an yr, since I am travelling back to India, so that I can report from India, by e-mail.

They also sentenced me with 3 days jail in additional to jail time served when pulled over (3 days when I was pulled over). Totallly 6 days (24 days suspended)

Now my situation is that I need to go back to India may be in another month and return back after 2 months on the same visa which is valid till 2010.

So PLS SUGGEST ME....This happended in the month of Sep 07 and I am still in US and will be going back to India in a month since my project is getting over.

I need to come back for new project in the month of March 08.

Shall I travel back to US or not at all....

Please suggest me on this........request your advice and help.....

thnx...

I would not suggest to come back before my probabation finishes otherwise you have to revise your probation terms here and you are lucky that u got remote probation which ususally does not happen.

See it like this that Probabtion is nothing but jail but you are not put in prison. Anything wrong you do on probation and you go to jail then. So why to take a risk when you got a chance to avoid that.

Complete your probabtion in India and then come back here. Yoiu can convince ur employer siting any family reason or something.

I am also thinking the same.....But will it be a problem at the port .....Have you got any info on this .........plz suggest me if you know something...

What are your case updates.....