dual passport travel

best23

hello, i was born in london (united kingdom) but since my dad is american i obtained US passport and citizenship and renewed my passport a while ago, and my mom is kenyan so i also have a kenyan passport and citizenship. as a child i lived,studied and am still in kenya for over 20 years , and usually travel with my kenyan passport. i want to start travelling outside kenya to study with my US passport because its less of a hustle at immigration for being african. however i have not registered at the US embassy as a dual citizen. do i need to register/convert and am i at risk of loosing nationality? thanks

Nope. Once you're a U.S. citizen, you're always a U.S. citizen. Can't lose it unless you explicitly renounce it or say you intend to give it up. You need to remember that you're always a U.S. citizen as you are always subject to U.S. taxes even if you have never lived there.

Kenya is also fine with your dual citizenship under the Citizenship and Immigration Act of 2011. There is a procedure to declare dual citizenship to Kenya. http://www.kenyahighcommission.net/khccontent/kenya-citizenship.html

Last edited by a moderator:
so is it illegal to hold both passports separate without declaring dual citizenship , and can i travel with both passports without being formally recognized as a ,"dual citizen"

so is it illegal to hold both passports separate without declaring dual citizenship , and can i travel with both passports without being formally recognized as a ,"dual citizen"

No, there is no such thing as "illegal to hold both passports". If you have a country's nationality, you can hold that country's passport. Each country determines who are its nationals. Unless and until a country says you are not their national anymore, you can hold that country's passport.

Kenya has a requirement that dual nationals disclose this fact. But it does not say that if you don't, you will lose your Kenyan nationality. Instead, it says that if you don't disclose it, it's an offense and if convicted, you may be fined and/or jailed. http://www.nairobi.diplo.de/contentblob/3356358/Daten/1788002/d_KenyanCitizenship_No12_of_2011.pdf section 8(4)