Dual citizenship?

minoo

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
I am french and just got my permanent green card. 5 years from now, I intend to apply for citizenship. However, I've been told I would have to abandon my french citizenship, is that true??? Supposedly there's a recent law about that...
I would like to keep my french citizenship as we have universal health care system in France, should anything happen to me with my health, and actually wanted my USC wife to become eventually french too to benefit from the same thing, and eventually our future children.
Many thanks in advance for your input!!!

U.S doesnot require that you revoke french citizenship but France might not allow dual citizenship. please talk to the French embassy on this matter.

No, that is not true. France has allowed its citizens to hold other citizenship(s) post 1973.

Hello Triple, that I know already, since I'm already French and Polish and holding 2 passports.

so you're saying I could technically become like YOU, with 3 citizenships (French, Polish and US)?

Yes. Oath of citizenship has a renunciation clause, but it is just words and official government policy for many years now has been to allow multiple citizenship, and won't cause you any trouble.

The important thing for dual citizens to remember is that now, by law, you MUST PRESENT your USA passport at USA ports of entry when a passport is requested, it is now a crime for US citizens to present themselves as foreigners at USA POEs. This is most likely to trip you up right after naturalization before you get your USA passport--you can no longer legally enter under your foreign passport.

Welcome. Keep us posted on your progress so that I can welcome you to the "Triple Citizens Club" in the near future :)

LOL technically i could also become Moroccan if I wanted to, since I'm born in Casablanca (not sure if it's required to convert to islam though), making me then a quadriple citizen, ha!

minoo,

This shouldn't be a problem (being a dual citizen). I am from Cuba and in the process of becoming a U.S. citizen, but even though I don't have a problem renouncing to being a cuban citizen, I can't 'cause Cuba doesn't recognize a second citizenship, so if I want to ever visit my family over there, I have to have my non-expired, up-to-date cuban passport ready. The US government and Immigration Officers at the airports are aware of this, and they don't seem to have a problem. Like someone else said, just make sure that you identify yourself as a US citizen whenever you leave or enter this country. Good luck on your 'Immigration' journey. :)

Hello everyone,
I am french and just got my permanent green card. 5 years from now, I intend to apply for citizenship. However, I've been told I would have to abandon my french citizenship, is that true??? Supposedly there's a recent law about that...
I would like to keep my french citizenship as we have universal health care system in France, should anything happen to me with my health, and actually wanted my USC wife to become eventually french too to benefit from the same thing, and eventually our future children.
Many thanks in advance for your input!!!