Dual citizenship & travel

Cattleya

Registered Users (C)
I was born in Canada and am scheduled for my interview in the next few days. I understand that I will retain dual citizenship unless I actively pursue renunciation of my former citizenship with Canada. The State Department advises that dual US/Canadian citizens enter Canada with their Canadian Passports, and then return as US Passport holders. Do I understand these issues correctly?

I was naturalized last week and the officer, during the ceremony, made it absolutely clear that the US does not recognize joint nationality. Yes, you will still keep your Canadian passport but when you leave/enter the US, you must use your US passport.

Thanks for your reply. But I now wonder about the conrtadiction between the advice you received and the following statement:
"If you are a dual U.S./Canadian citizen you should always present yourself as a Canadian citizen when entering Canada. However, U.S. citizens should use their U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States."
at the State Dept Travel Site:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1170.html

more about travelling as a Dual National

The recommendation regarding travel to Canada by "former" Canadians who naturalize to US citizenship .. i.e. enter Canada with your Canadian passport, appears to apply to "former" citizens of Mexico and several Latin American countries as well! All of this suggests an understandable resentment by your native country when you return as a visitor with "changed colors". What should one do when travelling to countries other than one's native one?

I can relate to you, since we will share two citizenships soon.
(1) You HAVE to use your US passport to re-enter the US
(2) You HAVE to be carrying a US passport on you when you depart from the US
(3) You are free to use EITHER a US or foreign passport when travelling abroad

Now as a Canadian citizen, I will always present myself as a Canadian citizen to a Canadian official. Only Canadian citizens are guaranteed entry into Canada. Similarly I will do the same when visiting Pakistan, even though Pakistan will let me enter using a Canadian or US passport. Hence the following is my "algorithm" for traveling:-

(1) US passport to enter the US
(2) Canadian passport to enter Canada
(3) Pakistani passport to enter Pakistan
(4) For any other country, pick whichever passport is most convenient (visa free entry, lowest visa fees, relations between host and passport country, etc)

What should one do when travelling to countries other than one's native one?

You can also get a "Canadian Citizenship Card" and present that. The idea is that when you enter Canada, you should tell the Canadian Immigration folks that you are a Canadian citizen, not a foreigner.

Now... I don't know if the new US passport regulations inspired Canadian reciprocity - that you need to show a passport now when you fly into Canada from the US. Even so, they'd probably accept a US Passport and a Canada Citizenship Card.

Passport easier and quicker to replace than a "Canadian Citizenship Card". Thus I prefer to use passports only for travel.

I was naturalized last week and the officer, during the ceremony, made it absolutely clear that the US does not recognize joint nationality. Yes, you will still keep your Canadian passport but when you leave/enter the US, you must use your US passport.
this question is the million dollar question. in INA there isnt a law that says dual nationality is prohibited and you cant have two nationalities. however, US doesnt encourage dual nationality like canadian system. once you are a USC you are considered a USC and they wont like it if you show canadian passport to enter US.