DUAL CITIZENSHIP -- how does it work?

Lolcat

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am from a country that allows dual citizenship. Only thing is, I just am not sure how it all works.

1. When I travel, should I leave the U.S. showing my US passport and then when entering my birth country, do I show my other passport? Or do I use both passports?

2. If I live in a third-country, do I use US passport or both?

Also, if I live in my birth country, do I still need to file US taxes every year? How would I do that -- there is no US tax accountant in the birth country? Will I have to pay taxes to US on income in my birth or third country?

What about my SS and medicare and health insurance? Can I access that if I am in my birth country?

I hope someone can help or can direct me to the appropriate thread.

Hello,

I am from a country that allows dual citizenship. Only thing is, I just am not sure how it all works.

1. When I travel, should I leave the U.S. showing my US passport and then when entering my birth country, do I show my other passport? Or do I use both passports?
The rule of thumb is to use the US passport when entering/exiting USA and your other passport when entering/exiting your other country of citizenship. For third countries, you can use whichever passport is more convenient (i.e., visa-free agreement). When checking in for your flight, you can show both passports to airline employees and let them sort it out.

2. If I live in a third-country, do I use US passport or both?
Whichever is more convenient. Just remember to use the same passport when entering and exiting the country.

Also, if I live in my birth country, do I still need to file US taxes every year? How would I do that -- there is no US tax accountant in the birth country? Will I have to pay taxes to US on income in my birth or third country?
You have to file US taxes every years regardless of where you live. If you earn less than a certain amount (I think it is $80,000), then you do not have to pay any US taxes, but you still have to fill out a form and send it to IRS. Here you can read about all requirements for non-residents: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/index.html

What about my SS and medicare and health insurance? Can I access that if I am in my birth country?
You can still receive SS payments when living abroad, but I doubt medicare and other US-based health insurance will work long-term when residing abroad.

Having multiple passports is a really valuable thing - it opens more countries for you and gives you more flexibility. I, for one, can travel visa-free to most of countries in the world, except Brazil and China (to name the few big ones) with my two passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
König! Wow -- thank you so much for your amazing detailed answer. I got more information from your response than hours of google research. THIS IS WHY THIS SITE IS AMAZING!

I agree: dual citizenship in this globalized world is really important to have. More countries should allow dual citizenship!

Thank you again for your answer.

That really depends on what the entry requirements are for your country of birth. For example, if I visit Canada, I have to present myself to Canadian officials as a Canadian citizen.
On the other hand, if I visit Pakistan, it does not really matter. Pakistan allows me to enter using any of my three passports. I can use my Pakistani passport or I can use my Canadian/US passport along with my Pakistani national ID card to gain entry.

On the other hand, if I visit Pakistan, it does not really matter. Pakistan allows me to enter using any of my three passports.

What would be your preference though? During my recent visit, I didn't even take my PK passport with me, even though its valid till 2012. I used my NICOP instead at POE there. I am debating whether I should plan on renewing my pp after it expires. Any word of advice?

Thanks,

If traveling alone, I will use my Pakistani passport.
If traveling with my wife, US/Canadian passport plus NICOP. My wife does not have Pakistani citizenship and thus no NICOP/POC. She enters Pakistan with a 10 year multiple visa.

What would be your preference though?

You can still receive SS payments when living abroad, but I doubt medicare and other US-based health insurance will work long-term when residing abroad.

Check out if the home country has any SS tax treaty with the USA. If there is treaty, you
can ask yoru home country to pay yoru benefit even if you pay taxes to USA

If traveling alone, I will use my Pakistani passport.

Smack me if I am too nosy but is there a reason for using the Pakistan Passport and not U.S Passport with NICOP even when traveling alone?

Also, I don't plan on renewing my Pakistani Passport after it expires now that I have a NICOP. We didn't renew my wife's either when it expired in '09. Is there a reason for us to reconsider this or is it simply a green pride to carry around? I am just curious.

Thanks again!

The only reason would be if you require a Pakistani passport (or proof of citizenship) 20 years down the line, and can not gather the documentation to get one.

What would be your preference though? During my recent visit, I didn't even take my PK passport with me, even though its valid till 2012. I used my NICOP instead at POE there. I am debating whether I should plan on renewing my pp after it expires. Any word of advice?

Thanks,

On my last visit to Pakistan I used my Canadian PP plus NICOP card to gain entry. I was treated royally, no customs check, no hassles of any kind smooth passage. On the other hand my brother who is also a Canadian citizen decided to use his Pakistani PP and had a horrible experience and was treated very badly.

I do not have a valid Pakistani PP for 25 years. I do not see the need for one.

Konig wrote: You have to file US taxes every years regardless of where you live. If you earn less than a certain amount (I think it is $80,000), then you do not have to pay any US taxes, but you still have to fill out a form and send it to IRS. Here you can read about all requirements for non-residents: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/index.html

Konig, this exemption, which is more like $92,000 now, applies only to salaried income and not to other types of income such as from interest or a business.