• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dual citizen DV eligibility and AOS

chee32

I am in the US on an F-1 as a Canadian, but originally from Kenya. As a Canadian, I know I don't qualify to apply for the DV Visa.
Am I still eligible to apply as a Kenyan?
If so, what happens when I want to adjust my status? My current status in the US is F-1 from Canada as a Canadian citizen.

Citizenship is irrelevant. It's your country of birth that matters. Where were you born?
I was born in Kenya.

My confusion:
My Canadian passport doesn't have a visa in it even though I am on F-1 (US/Canada thingy).
Say I am successful in the lottery through Kenya as my country of birth (I know now from your response). I am already in the US and have to switch from F-1, but my Kenyan passport has no visa. Would that matter?

Will the no F-1 visa in my Kenyan passport and no F-1 in my Canadian passport (because they don't stamp Canadian passports) ever come into play when adjusting status?

I was born in Kenya.

My confusion:
My Canadian passport doesn't have a visa in it even though I am on F-1 (US/Canada thingy).
Say I am successful in the lottery through Kenya as my country of birth (I know now from your response). I am already in the US and have to switch from F-1, but my Kenyan passport has no visa. Would that matter?

Will the no F-1 visa in my Kenyan passport and no F-1 in my Canadian passport (because they don't stamp Canadian passports) ever come into play when adjusting status?
There are no issues. Visas are only for entry, and it's normal that Canadian citizens don't need a visa to enter the US as a nonimmigrant. Your I-94 showing your status is what matters for your status in the US.

What is on or isn't on your Canadian passport is irrelevant to the process. Anyway, submit an entry and get selected first. We can walk you through the process at that point (if you get selected). Your Canadian citizenship has no direct bearing on the process.

There are no issues. Visas are only for entry, and it's normal that Canadian citizens don't need a visa to enter the US as a nonimmigrant. Your I-94 showing your status is what matters for your status in the US.
Makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

What is on or isn't on your Canadian passport is irrelevant to the process. Anyway, submit an entry and get selected first. We can walk you through the process at that point (if you get selected). Your Canadian citizenship has no direct bearing on the process.
Alrighty. Thanks.